Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #16

If the new batch of sensors get tainted over time, then Pentax is really in BIG trouble. I hope its an isolated incident. All the PF users who have had K5 replaced, please make it a point to check the sensor once a month to see if got any stains develop over time.

03-25-2011, 11:03 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
Todd
I know what you mean, LOL. Mine was swapped out by Pentax Canada some time ago, and since i do not notice anything in my regular shots, i ain't lookin.
03-25-2011, 11:12 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
17th Nov 2010.

Should the internal serial number be the same as the external?
Whatta deal...the build date of my K5 is exactly the same as yours (11-17-10). My serial number is 3954xxx

I checked for stains when I first received the K5, it was OK then, and I just checked agian yesterday...still good. I received mine on 1-27-11, I just went over 2760 images.

Who Knows...???
03-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sagiboy Quote
If the new batch of sensors get tainted over time, then Pentax is really in BIG trouble. I hope its an isolated incident. All the PF users who have had K5 replaced, please make it a point to check the sensor once a month to see if got any stains develop over time.
Better still, read the thread you are responding to.
The OP's replacement camera was manufactured prior to when Pentax got the problem buttoned up.
The over the top hysteria that is ongoing about this is rather unbelievable.
Now we are forgetting our reading skills in our rush to jumping off the cliff with the rest of the lemmings.

03-25-2011, 05:59 PM   #20

Well

I was referring to a number of owners who complained that their replacement camera, from the new batch developed stains. Its not hysteria, just expression of concern for a product which eventhough great, still plagued by QC issues.
03-25-2011, 07:02 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sagiboy Quote
I was referring to a number of owners who complained that their replacement camera, from the new batch developed stains. Its not hysteria, just expression of concern for a product which eventhough great, still plagued by QC issues.
Citations, including build date and pictures or it didn't happen.
What we are seeing now is an ongoing hysteria and, I suspect, people who get a speck of dust on their sensor who immediately play the stain card.
Pentax really should just drop the K5 name, wait a month and start making the K5n.
At least then there would be something new, however slight, for people to get worked up over.
03-25-2011, 09:57 PM   #22
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I generally agree that there is still a certain amount of "stain hysteria" but we should also remember that a little QC on the part of Pentax could have prevented this entire situation, so I am not inclined to "shoot the messenger". We have no idea what some retailers did with the returned cameras....possibly just re-sold them to someone new and so they show up again in the supply chain? Only some time will clear this matter, and hopefully Pentax will not make the same or similar mistake in the future. What is disheartening, is that anything should blemish such an outstanding camera as the K5.......it is just simply an amazing camera, not deserving of the rough ride it has encountered through no fault of its own, just a lack of oversight my its makers.
Best Regards

03-26-2011, 12:31 AM   #23

I went to sleep last night and my head was there where it should be. Woke up in the morning WOAH! it is off and I coudn't find it. Asked my wife - Did I have a head just right on my sholders last night? She was mostly positif - Not sure, but remember you had a hat...

So what prevents you from taking good photos? The stains? Those stains that you were not able to see even when you checked it first time when you got the replacement?

You are lucky to shoot for a year and get another new camera? Lets complain so much about it...
03-26-2011, 05:07 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Citations, including build date and pictures or it didn't happen.
What we are seeing now is an ongoing hysteria and, I suspect, people who get a speck of dust on their sensor who immediately play the stain card.
Pentax really should just drop the K5 name, wait a month and start making the K5n.
At least then there would be something new, however slight, for people to get worked up over.
Sensors do get dust on them, some of them even require wet cleaning. I, for one, have not seen mass reports of people getting stains months after getting "new batch" cameras that were originally stain free (I am agreeing with you, Wheatfield, I think).
03-27-2011, 07:43 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is from my replacement K5 received in early January:

I believe these are sensor stains - they look quite different from other dust spots but identical to stains on my first K5 and to other reported stains. All other spots were removed by a clean but these remained and in the exact same positions.

I believe they have developed recently as they were definitely not present at the end of February.

My camera is serial 3965xxxx with manufacture date of 7th December 2010.
03-27-2011, 07:58 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Dr Orloff, the replacement you got was probably from an early batch.
The only definite way to address the issue is to send it in for the sensor to be replaced rather than a one-to-one replacement.
03-27-2011, 08:15 AM   #27
Inactive Account

this is getting good. This is like peyton place. I get more kicks reading this site than any others i visit. I have the k-5 also and agree it sucks QC pentax wise. Great camera. But the reading is like a soap.... Great..

I cannot wait until the next K? comes out.. And here we go agian.. LOL

Pentax is the soap box king of camera's...
03-27-2011, 08:28 AM   #28
Veteran Member

FWIW: My replacement is serial #3982XXXX with a build date of 12-20-10 and as of 3 minutes ago, has no sign of stains.
03-27-2011, 08:40 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

My K5 has a build date of sometime last October and has no stains.
04-03-2011, 01:40 AM   #30

hmmm are really sure or dare you to check it again )

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
My K5 has a build date of sometime last October and has no stains.