Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Possible Focus Problem with K5--advice needed

Hi:

I was wondering if anyone was having trouble with their K5 after having moved to firmware 1.03.

I have a 16-50 and 31 Limited that seem to have a lot of soft images when taken with the k5. Some images are spot on and it makes me think the lenses are fine, but many images are soft (sometimes slightly, sometimes very soft), both under low light and reasonably well lit indoor household lighting (tungsten and fluorescent) and also under the same lighting with a flash. I will post a few images this weekend, but I noticed the inconsistent focusing (or at least that is what I think it is) after I upgraded the firmware. This occurs both with moving and static objects (a sporting event shoot I did recently and my children and wife posing for me, as well as still objects—my children’s toys).

There also seems to be a bit more noise than I previously remembered. I shoot RAW, but did try some JPEGS and got the same inconsistent focusing results. I did not have these problems prior to the upgrade from 1.01 (which is what was on it when I received the k5).

I am fairly certain it is not an issue of camera shake. I did not use a tripod nor mirror lock up, just shot in the way I do with my k7 (with which I do not have the same problems), from 1/60 to 1/180 (using flash and also w/o flash) and up and down the aperture range.

Thanks in advance.

03-25-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Jalusta.
03-25-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
Forum Member

lawjbm,

Have you tried turn SR off? Did your shots look underexposed or very noise? I just got an K5 and notice that some shots are really off, even though in the viewfinder it looked sharp before I took the shot. With SR turned off, things are a little more consistent now.
03-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi:

I will try with SR off this weekend. One thing I did notice on the k5--the SR hand in the viewfinder comes on immediatley after depressing the shutter. With the k7 the SR came on after about 1 second. Is the SR on the k5 supposed to come on immediatley or is there perhaps something wrong?

I also have upgraded the firmware to 1.03 using a freshly formatted SDHD card and fully charged battery.

Thanx so much for the suggestion.

03-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi:

Was just wondering if anyone had similar issues with the SR on the k5 or perhaps k7.

Should I only use SR when I am really pushing the limits of holding the camera steady? For example, if I am shooting in a studio, hand held, with a 31, 55 or 77 prime, usually at f5.6 or above and at 125th or 180th, is it best to turn SR off?

I have the DA*300 and have used SR with the lens when I am at 350 or faster and it works well.

Thanx so much.
03-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The SR takes a second to come on, initially. After that it should be active. Look for the shaky hand icon to appear in the viewfinder, that's how you know it's active.

I always have SR on, unless I'm using a tripod.
03-28-2011, 07:15 AM   #7
ITW

Hi

Im on V 1.01 and are having big problems with back focus on my sigma 18-50 f2.8.
And that is on portraits of my kids, I can se focus is sometimes spot on and sometimes longer back than the eye.

Ive adjusted the focus but it's spot on the test chart but on real life photos its maby 7\10 misses focus, I thought it was the sigma but maby it's the K-5?
03-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not a technical shooter, and while I love SR and find it very effective, over the past few years I have personally found that nothing trumps a little speed. That has been my main drawback in the past, getting enough speed to stop motion blur. Withthe K5 and high ISO capability, I am shooting more in Tav and setting the speed I need with the K5 handling the ISO up to 12,800. I may not always get great IQ, but I am finding that I always get a shot...that I might otherwise have missed. So far, I am very happy with the results. Of course, there are times when you want the very best IQ, and make the appropriate settings to do so, but for everyday shooting the Tav is working great for me.
Best Regards!

03-28-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I'm not a technical shooter, and while I love SR and find it very effective, over the past few years I have personally found that nothing trumps a little speed. That has been my main drawback in the past, getting enough speed to stop motion blur. Withthe K5 and high ISO capability, I am shooting more in Tav and setting the speed I need with the K5 handling the ISO up to 12,800. I may not always get great IQ, but I am finding that I always get a shot...that I might otherwise have missed. So far, I am very happy with the results. Of course, there are times when you want the very best IQ, and make the appropriate settings to do so, but for everyday shooting the Tav is working great for me.
Best Regards!
What Rupert says!

I'd rather have a sharp shot at ISO12800 than a motion blurred/camera shake shot at 800.
03-28-2011, 06:10 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi all:

Thanx so much for the input. I have noticed the SR "hand" comes on immediately upon pressing the shutter, as opposed to taking a second or so. Also, it stays on for a bit after the shutter is released, but if I change the view in the viewfinder significantly (i.e., turn to the right or left and point the camera in another direction--without pressing the shutter release).

This all seemed diffferent frlom the k7 (I have the k7, too, and I have compared the two SR functions). Does the k5 operate differently? I can get great pictures with the k5, but then I also can get lots of soft images, at fairly hight sutter speeds and with a steady hand, but almost always this is happening in indoor light--sometimes fairly low light, but sometimes in moderately lit rooms.

Anyone else having the same problem?

Thankx again.
03-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I've been shooting live theatre plays for promo shots for the last 2 years. I noticed that a Nikon /d300s shooter was getting better shots than mine, and when i looked at them in detail, he was using higher shutter speeds and more dof than i was. so i said ; damn the noise, full speed ahead, to distort a famouse quote

so i stopped using SR, which if its in the middle of a startup could distort your shots, and raised my shooting speeds and increased the dof, regardless of any noise with my K20. My keeper rate dramatically improved - it was amazing. SR does nothing to stop human motion, you need 1/100 or 1/200 or 1/300. it just keeps getting better and better. Of course in dark scenes, i had a ton of noise to clean up on my K20, but i bought Topaz and was still better off than the f2.8 and 1/25 type nonsense.

In short i agree wtih Rupert and others, go fast when working with humans. Now that i have a K5, i feel like the noise problem has largely been solved.
03-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi:

Thanx so much.

I wil play around without SR on at a few upcoming shoots I have and see how it works.

I appreciate everyone's comments.
03-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's always worth it to play with and without SR - that might be the problem. However, I thought I had an intermittent problem with AF with my K5, one that I never did really nail down. Focus charts looked fine, but real-world shots taken in good light at certain distances might or might not be soft/properly focused. I tried with and without SR, tripod mounted and handheld, various shutter speeds. I couldn't recreate the problem - most of my test shots were fine and those that weren't didn't follow a particular pattern. I gave up trying to figure it out when I noticed that my camera developed stains and I sent it in to Pentax for replacement.
03-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I've been shooting @ISO6400 in daylight simply because it allows a high enough shutter speed and wide DOF that I need for certain shots.

I could never have done this with my K20D where 6400 is awful
03-29-2011, 04:19 AM   #15
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Smeggy, that's getting a little extreme needing ISO 6400 in daylight - what subject do you need to stop its action whilst still needing such a deep DoF for the rest of the scene?