Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2011, 09:20 AM   #106
Veteran Member

I think I understand.

Here is someone who is satisfied with their K10D, and didnt need another still shot camera, no matter what their specs are.

They did need a video camera, but can't seem to get quality images the same way their k10d is producing, because their lenses are different.

Finally he bought a K5, a camera he thought he could get videos made effectively. All of his complains were video related, I think.

All of you guys are saying well, K5 is not a camcorder, dont expect it to be more than that. But he did want one, a pentax camcorder; for still shot he has a perfectly working k10d and never expected it to be more than that.

Compounding the problem is translating reviews and what not to french?

He is still supporting pentax; and is just frustrated that he couldnt use the pentax glasses he loves to make movies the way he knows how. The frustration kind of shows from his postings here.

03-27-2011, 09:31 AM   #107

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I'm disappointed too.....that anyone that has been a Pentax user for a number of years would find disappointment in the K5. While keeping in mind that no camera can be all things to all shooters, this camera is just simply superb in meeting the advertised specifications. Sure, it had a rocky start, but now that it shines, and make no mistake it shines like the Sun, how could anyone coming from an earlier model Pentax find disappointment? That seems almost shameful to me.
What would have satisfied most Pentax shooters would have been what was asked for most.....a K7 with a Kx sensor. Can anyone say Pentax did not far exceed those requests? The next model, no matter what it does or how well it performs, will find the same situation waiting....those that pick out the things it won't do and concentrate on those.
If you have a K5 and are not out taking advantage of what it Will Do, Otis would like a word with you in private. His Business Office is about 80 ft up in a big Oak Tree, and those that meet with him get straight or get a fast trip to reality....which is 80 ft below.

Best Regards & Let's go out and shoot something today! Post them in the K5 Photos, I love to look at what you guys are doing!

I'm sorry, but I can't help but laugh at the EXTREME IRONY in this post.
03-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thierryk5 Quote
What i want is a digital movie camera doing just exactly what a movie camera did in the 60's, 70's,
with lenses f1.2, f1.4, 17mm, 21mm etc...

and all in manual of course;

it is what i am looking for since 10 years
Why not get a Canon XL series or whatever the HD model number is plus the Pentax to Canon XL adapter. Professional level camera with Pentax lenses.
03-27-2011, 10:46 AM   #109
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
I'm sorry, but I can't help but laugh at the EXTREME IRONY in this post.

Yeah, I know...but I call it like I see it...both ways. It was a bad situation, but now is an excellent situation. Beware of those that can't accept change and stick to their guns even when the problem no longer exists.....those are the real enemies of progress.
Now I can relax, enjoy my K5 and shoot Squirrels early on a Sunday morning...in low light and cloudy skies......if necessary. Did I ever tell you how much I love my K5........?

If I had a Pentax store....I could sell a million of these cameras!

Best Regards!

03-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #110
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well the K-3 had better be full frame 28MP, 10FPS constant shooting till the card is full, WiFi, GPS, 2 SDXC card slots, even BETTER at high ISO, even BETTER color rendering, and have a packed in Kit lens of a DA*50-135 for only an extra $200... And a improved SR system that can correct a 8.0 on the Richter scale.

Edit.. Also better weather sealing/water sealing.. this thing should be fully submersible to about 10-15 meters.. OR ELSE!

Maybe thats the kind of advancement disappointed K-5 users were looking for?
03-27-2011, 10:21 PM   #111
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I AM SUPPORTING PENTAX,
I PREFER PENTAX, AND PENTAX IS THE BEST SOLUTION FOR MY NEEDS,
and most of the problems i had with the K5 have been fixed now and i recommend people reading this thread to BUY THE K5 as it is a really amazing DSLR

By the way i really don't understand why a 24 fps video mode, a cinema mode, having a fixed ISO, and not to be only in liveview mode for video is not possible for the K5,
are they so expensive things to do ?

Why do you want me to waste thousands with an heavy professionnal camcorder, when pentax can just fix some electronics in a DSLR ?

I am not asking the moon, just a 24fps mode and fixed ISO,
seems so few to me...
03-28-2011, 06:40 AM   #112
Veteran Member

Maybe because it is a still camera with a little bit of video capability....not the other way around.

Not sure this is relevant to the conversation, but I laugh every time I read it........Sometimes it is just hard to get someone to "get it"........

Attachment 87100

Best Regards!

Last edited by Rupert; 07-29-2015 at 07:00 AM.
03-28-2011, 07:22 AM   #113
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I AM SUPPORTING PENTAX,
and most of the problems i had with the K5 have been fixed now and i recommend people reading this thread to BUY THE K5 as it is a really amazing DSLR

By the way i really don't understand why a 24 fps video mode, a cinema mode, having a fixed ISO, and not to be only in liveview mode for video is not possible for the K5,

Why do you want me to waste thousands with an heavy professionnal camcorder, when pentax can just fix some electronics in a DSLR ?

seems so few to me...
You may not be asking for the moon, but you're still complaining that the filet Mignon you ordered doesn't taste as much like fish as the grilled salmon would have.
03-28-2011, 07:36 AM   #114
Pentaxian

The cry for 24fps is something I don't understand (maybe because I'm not into video, not yet anyway). Do they intend to print it on film an run it through some old cinema projector that cannot do 25fps?

Because I seriously doubt anyone can see the difference between 24 and 25fps and claim that they are missing out on some kind of cinematic stuttering feeling.
03-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #115
Veteran Member

I have nothing against video...love to watch clips on Youtube, but there are some fine camcorders out there, fairly cheap, and if I was into video making I would just buy one. The K5 is made for taking still photos as a primary act, and it is superb.........I do not understand why this is not adequate?
Regards!
03-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #116
Inactive Account

Apparently, most professional editing software uses 24 frames per second and 25 just comes out wrong or is too difficult to convert. I tried the video on my K7 a couple times, it was fun for a few minutes. The Hound didn't care too much for being the star but he enjoyed watching himself on the TV. I don't even know if video works on my K5. For those who care about it, better luck next time around. I hope you find that which makes you happy. For myself, And The Hound, the camera exceeds expectations in many ways.

03-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #117
Loyal Site Supporter

I AM SUPPORTING PENTAX,

seems so few to me...
What you are asking is for the K5 to be something it isn't.
Did you not realize that it's video mode wasn't what you wanted when you bought?
If not, why not?
The specifications are in the public domain, if the camera isn't what you needed, then you really should have bought something closer to your needs, whether a Pentax or not.
I'd have some sympathy if your thread was titled something like "What I'd Like To See in the Next Camera", but I have little sympathy for knowingly buying something that doesn't do what a person wants and then having to read about how the camera is somehow deficient.
It isn't deficient WRT it's video capabilities, it may not be what you want, and if you bought it knowingly, you have no reason to complain about it.
03-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #118
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Well the K-3 had better be full frame 28MP, 10FPS constant shooting till the card is full, WiFi, GPS, 2 SDXC card slots, even BETTER at high ISO, even BETTER color rendering, and have a packed in Kit lens of a DA*50-135 for only an extra $200... And a improved SR system that can correct a 8.0 on the Richter scale.

Edit.. Also better weather sealing/water sealing.. this thing should be fully submersible to about 10-15 meters.. OR ELSE!

Maybe thats the kind of advancement disappointed K-5 users were looking for?
All I want it to do is to communicate with its own off-camera flash system, including the hyper expensive Pentax Ring Flash.

Have those issues been fixed and I don't know about it?

Last edited by snofox; 03-28-2011 at 06:59 PM.
03-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #119
Veteran Member

That is slated for the K-3 rev 2.0
03-28-2011, 09:40 PM   #120
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Wheatfield the problem is that is tryed using my K5 just like my K10D,
so i did not understood it was in high iso mode 12800,
then my K10D's memory card was a class 4 card, i should have bought class 10,

i tryed and understand for 2 days so i was so disappointed that with the translation and my bad english things have been what you saw,

no when studying it correctly, and asking for things, the K5 is really really much much better than previous ones, and i really begin to enjoy it,
i will never return it

i would just like ISO settings in video mode, and a 24 fps for editing purposes, but you are right it is not at all an obligation, just a personnal need or dream