Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2011, 05:11 AM   #1
Forum Member

customizable button for white balance?

One of the greatest things about the new Canon S95 that I bought was the 'Smart' button that can be customized for around 12 different operations; I have set it so that I just point to something white, push it, and voila, custom white balance. No menu, no more than 1 button push... even more important to me than aperture, given that it's a digicam and I almost always shoot at the largest aperture anyway. Coolest thing on a very cool camera.

My K-x doesn't have a 'smart' button, or a 1-touch manual wb. Does the K-5 have either a 'smart' manual wb button, or can one of its buttons be customized for such? I can't find any indication of that in any of the web posts I've sifted through... after the S95, it frustrates me as to how long it is taking to accomplish a very essential often-used operation.
Thanks

03-26-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drec Quote
One of the greatest things about the new Canon S95 that I bought was the 'Smart' button that can be customized for around 12 different operations; I have set it so that I just point to something white, push it, and voila, custom white balance. No menu, no more than 1 button push... even more important to me than aperture, given that it's a digicam and I almost always shoot at the largest aperture anyway. Coolest thing on a very cool camera.

My K-x doesn't have a 'smart' button, or a 1-touch manual wb. Does the K-5 have either a 'smart' manual wb button, or can one of its buttons be customized for such? I can't find any indication of that in any of the web posts I've sifted through... after the S95, it frustrates me as to how long it is taking to accomplish a very essential often-used operation.
Thanks
Several ways, starting from the O.K. button. Use the left-hand arrow button (at 9:00) and scroll through the various options. You make verify fine WB adjustments in several categories. You indicated that this is one of your priority settings so same the most used in 'User' settings on the mode dial to the left of the flash mount. Notice also the "raw" button half- way down the camera body on the left-hand side of the K5. It is default jpeg to raw but is also customizable for one instant mode switch. I do alot of bracketing, so mine raw button became an auto-bracket adjustment. It's customization is found in the custom menu found, co-incidentally in the "custom" selections after pushing the menu button, camera back, bottom fright.
03-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I guess what I'm getting at with the S95 is that, with one push of a button, an instant white balance setting is made. This is not so for my K-x-- I must also push a left-hand arrow button and scroll through the various options.

Are you saying that the RAW button on the K-5 can be customized to adjust white balance right on the spot?
03-26-2011, 11:25 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Vieläkö canon valmistetaan.

03-27-2011, 02:48 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
No, there are several options to configure the Raw button on K5, but unfortunately custom white balance is not one of them.