Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #31
Site Supporter

So frustrated with B&H. I e-mailed them about purchasing a K5 and R1900 together. The rep told me to go ahead and order both, they'd ship the printer when available and I would still be eligible for the rebate. But the R1900 was unavailable for order online, so I planned to call and order by phone when I got a chance today. Around 2PM I got e-mail notification that the R1900 was in stock again; I went to check out and the K5 had gone up $100. I've tried chatting with customer service a couple times, and they keep telling me the $1299 price never happened. Grrr....

03-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #32

Product flies out of B&H. I just ordered the K5 from Amazon for $1299.00.
03-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #33

B&H Lost my business too!

At last I was ready to buy my new K-5 and I moved funds over from another account, signed on to B&H, added it to my cart - now $1399.95. Sorry guys, that is not going to work!

April 2nd sure came fast to New York!

Mike
03-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #34

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Mike - Amazon.com: Pentax K-5 16.3 MP Digital SLR with 3-Inch LCD (Black Body Only): Camera & Photo

03-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #35
Site Supporter

I'm probably just going to buy elsewhere, but I think more people should let B&H know if they're disappointed. The presentation of their price information is very misleading. There's basically this entire block of text crammed together...
"Add to cart for lower price why? Instant Savings -$100.00 Offer ends 04/02/2011," which makes it seem like the $100 Savings AND the lower price are valid through 4/2. Raising the price $100 2 days after the instant rebate started seems pretty disingenuous.
03-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #36
Inactive Account

Thanks to those of you who redirected to Amazon!

I had the camera in my shopping cart from B and H last night, at $1299, and when I checked in today to pull the trigger, they had raised the price to $1399. Agree that it is not a friendly practice to offer a discount with an expiration date, and to raise the price before that!
03-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #37
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Evolution Quote
... they keep telling me the $1299 price never happened. Grrr....
Not true! I had it in my cart at $1299, as above, but waited to buy because they advertised (in my understanding) that the price was valid until April 2nd!
03-28-2011, 09:10 PM   #38

Yes- the $1299 price did exist briefly

I put one in my cart, checked the $1299 price, then transferred the funds to pay and when I refreshed the B&H page the price had increased $100!

A bit naughty of them, and not usually the sort of behavior I expect from B&H, if I may say so.

Still, if they prefer us to take our business elsewhere, this is certainly the way to do it. I'm sure folks here will let them know soon enough that they are not amused by these sort of sales tricks.

A good opportunity here for Adorama and their other competitors!

Mike

03-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #39
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gotium Quote
Not true! I had it in my cart at $1299, as above, but waited to buy because they advertised (in my understanding) that the price was valid until April 2nd!
This was my frustration as well. I assumed the "Offer Ends 04/02/2011" meant the price was stable through that date. Silly assumption I guess. Still, more maddening is the conflicting stories I've gotten. 2 people told me the $1299 price never even happened. And when I tried replying directly in the e-mail thread where the $1299 price had been quoted I was told "Our new stock came with a higher price and therefore, needed to rise the price. The rebate is still the same from the vendor.
that is why, we would unfortunately not be able to give the lower price." Really? I suppose there's no better way to voice my disapproval than to buy it elsewhere.
03-29-2011, 12:50 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Hey guys,
I know you are understandably disappointed to miss out on a good deal advertised by B&H, in your shoes i certainly would be too. But they are allowed to change their prices if they believe they made a mistake.

heck, how many times have customers sent back purchases that we promised to buy and then changed our mind, we do it all the time - often enough its just buyers remorse.

I think the more interesting question is: What could have caused them to change their mind that quickly? I suspect that there is a lot of pent-up demand on the camera, and when the orders started pouring in, they realized this non-nikon, non-canon, was going to be a good revenue generator if they didn't exhaust their supply in a hurry. So they changed their mind quickly.

In case you're wondering, i've seen a lot of stores go out of business in this recession/depression, and frankly i don't want to see BH or Adorama follow suit. No i don't have any financial interest in either one of them, except i did send BH $1400 recently and got a K5 in the last week :-)

Best wishes,
03-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #41

Of course they can change their mind, but our annoyance comes from their lack of transparency. Why are some of their employees denying the deal ever happened? The deal is also still highlighted on Pentaxforums main page, so it obviously caught everyone by surprise. Customers are viewing this as a reneged deal! This isn't what we expect from a well-respected dealer and they shouldn't be surprised if the folks like me who are ticked off take their business elsewhere.

I am in the market for a K5 and a couple of lenses - a non-trivial $2500 purchase. This may be business they can afford to lose, but generally it is a good idea not to upset your customers.

It's also interesting that no-one from B&H has commented - I suspect that they are embarrassed by the episode and hope that it will soon be forgotten. Sorry guys, that's the power of the Internet!

Mike

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Hey guys,
I know you are understandably disappointed to miss out on a good deal advertised by B&H, in your shoes i certainly would be too. But they are allowed to change their prices if they believe they made a mistake.

heck, how many times have customers sent back purchases that we promised to buy and then changed our mind, we do it all the time - often enough its just buyers remorse.

I think the more interesting question is: What could have caused them to change their mind that quickly? I suspect that there is a lot of pent-up demand on the camera, and when the orders started pouring in, they realized this non-nikon, non-canon, was going to be a good revenue generator if they didn't exhaust their supply in a hurry. So they changed their mind quickly.

In case you're wondering, i've seen a lot of stores go out of business in this recession/depression, and frankly i don't want to see BH or Adorama follow suit. No i don't have any financial interest in either one of them, except i did send BH $1400 recently and got a K5 in the last week :-)

Best wishes,
03-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #42
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Hey guys,

Best wishes,
Sure. I would not suggest that what they did was necessarily illegal. In fact, if they wanted to retract a special offer, perhaps setting it up as a rebate leaves them the option to thereafter raise the base price, effectively circumventing the rebate offer, and perhaps without violating any laws.

I would submit, however, that this is not the way a customer expects or wants to be treated.

Last edited by gotium; 03-29-2011 at 07:57 AM.
03-29-2011, 08:15 AM   #43

Amazon has the K5 for $1299.00. You know what to do.
03-29-2011, 08:20 AM   #44

Photos: Albums
My $1,299 Camera just arrived and I have a lovely 39382 serial#
Manufacture date 1-24-2011

Last edited by 41ants; 03-29-2011 at 12:17 PM.
03-29-2011, 10:09 AM   #45

Has anyone raised the price issue in the B&H sub-forum? I got the $1299 price, but those who did not might have more luck directing their issues to the company instead of just venting here.