Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2011, 05:14 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, yes, this is exactly why I need to get myself a k5 when my budget allows! New possibilities!

Not just the low light + fast lenses, which you gave some great examples of above, but low light + slow lenses will benefit a lot from usable high iso settings.

I shoot birds, and as soon as my april salary comes in my husband has told me that I can buy a Sigma 150-500mm. I will be using it at 500mm most of the time, which means f 6.3, and my k7 hits my noise-tolerance-limit at iso 400. Which means that I need BRIGHT sunlight to capture any moving bird with my k7. And anyone who ever visited Denmark will know how rare bright sunlight is up here.

So the next item on my wish list is a k5. I just need the price to hit $1000, and my bank account to recover from the Sigma lens - those two events just might be well timed with each other some time around autumn!

Until then I just visit this forum to feed my envy. And you guys are doing a great job with that!

03-28-2011, 05:52 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
@Mette: You might want to get yours with an open purchase, that is, with a return period: it seems that there are still AF issues with which it is starting to look - IMO - that some units are bad (or it could be that some units with some copies of lenses have a problem, who knows); while the K-5 firmware update was an improvement for me and others there are also reports of problems persisting despite the FW update (one of them Falk Lumo's, backed up with quite extensive testing).
03-28-2011, 06:06 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Jolepp - but isn't the focus problem restricted to particular types of weak indoor light?

Not that it could _never_ be an issue for me, I suppose, but I take 90% of my pictures outdoors. For most of the remaining 10% I use flash. Anyway, I am hoping this will be solved by the time I can afford one!
03-28-2011, 06:47 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yup, daylight in general should be good (tungsten light < EV 4 bad ). The whole problem is somewhat shrouded in mystery (as to the root cause) and you might not mind using the same camera for flashless indoor snaps as well though. I suppose mail order within the EU should in practice amount to an open purchase, so you might be covered anyway .