Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Silver K-5s in Virginia

I picked up a Silver K-5 today at Ace Photo in Ashburn, VA.
They received a large number last week.
I just installed the latest firmware (they have 1.02 installed.)
I'll post some impressions next week.

They have not received any of the silver limited lenses however.
I told them to notify me when the 40mm silver arrives.
It still looks awsome with the black limited, so I'll just have tough it out with the black 21 and 31 for awhile. I'm not sure I need the 40 (I also have the FA43), but I "need" at least one lens to match.

They also have the 645D, and I played with that for awhile.
Amazing camera, but it sure takes a long time to download a photo -- almost 10 seconds from shutter to preview I'd guess.
They showed me some photos taken with the 200mm macro. Just amazing.

David

03-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I've never made it over to Ace Photo, although it's a little less than an hour from where I live. Tempting, if for no other reason than to see a 645D in person. I'm just afraid I'd end up coming home with a silver K-5 if I saw one in person; for better or worse, there's no risk of me coming home with a 645D
03-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Its worth the trip.
they also have one of the largest selections of bags that I've seen.
Their room with camera bags is larger than some Ritz camera stores.
03-27-2011, 11:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah, I enjoy taking a trip out to Ace Photo every now and then (a little less than an hour from me.) I've bought a couple Pentax lenses here (they had a new-in-box MIJ 77mm I couldn't pass up on.) The store was way bigger than I expected and they do have just about everything you can imagine.

Price-wise, my experience is that it's more expensive than online (for lenses.) But at the same time, I still think they're pretty fair. And since they're the only store I know of that sells Pentax, I'm happy to send some money their way. The sales staff I have dealt with seemed pretty knowledgeable about Pentax (not experts or anything) but considering I'm sure they still do way more business in Canon & Nikon, I was still happy with what they had to say.

Anyway, just thought I'd add my experience.

dgaies: I know I had mentioned Ace to you... you should make the trip sometime. If you like the outdoors, they're also right next to the Washington & Old Dominion Trail. Could be a good place to try out that potential Silver K-5 you might talk yourself into!

03-28-2011, 06:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mo, the owner of ACE Photo, is a huge Pentax fan and told me the other day that they have sold more 645D's than any of the other 645D shops in the country. He owns a copy of every Pentax 645 lens ever built. (Lucky S0B!). He is also ready to switch full time to Pentax IF the successor to the K-5 is full frame.

Mike
03-28-2011, 06:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sunny16 Quote
dgaies: I know I had mentioned Ace to you... you should make the trip sometime. If you like the outdoors, they're also right next to the Washington & Old Dominion Trail. Could be a good place to try out that potential Silver K-5 you might talk yourself into!
Yeah, we did talk about it. I've actually know about them for a couple years, just haven't made it out that way yet. My friend who lives out in Ashburn goes there (though he's a Canon guy) and likes the place. Funny that you mention the W&OD trail. We put an offer on a house in Vienna (3 years ago) where the W&OD trail literally run thorugh the backyard along the properly line. I'm pretty sure I'd already have that silver K-5 if we had gotten that house since I'd only be a short bike ride on the trail away