Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2011, 07:21 AM   #1
Forum Member

Is there anything coming to replace the K-5

OK so I am convinced the K-5 is a worthwhile upgrade from my K-7. The only thing that makes me not pull the trigger is the K-5 came out so soon after the K-7. Anybody know anything about the next offering so I don't wish I had just waited again? Since the K-5 sensor is such a big leap forward, it is hard to imagine any huge improvement coming so soon again, but.....

03-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax needed to address the ISO issue sooner than later, and with the new Sony sensor going in the D7K, and the D7K selling for such a low price, they almost had to come out with the K5.....even though it might have rushed their timing, which probably accounts for its rough beginning.

With the situation in Japan, and the damage to some of the industries there, I would not expect any new developments or products at a sooner rate than what is the norm. Of course, technology can make great leaps quickly, so we never know what might come along unexpectedly...like the K5 did.

Just my thoughts....for a better prediction, I will ask Otis what he thinks? Meanwhile, I am going to be enjoying my fantastic K5 for a long time!

Best Regards!
03-28-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a little soon to be anticipating the next model. Look at the dSLR release dates and you'll see an 18 month lag between flagship models:

Template:Pentax DSLR cameras - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your guess is as good as ours as to the next camera's name let alone its specs...
03-28-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm sure there is an update coming eventually. The nice thing about the K-5 is I don't really care if an update comes or not. Unless the update was fullframe or something else dramatically different

To be honest, I'd be more excited to see great new lenses than a new camera this year.

03-28-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you are pretty safe grabbing a k5, i would bet the next release will be in 2012, likely late to take advantage of christmas. and aside from some minor technical upgrades i don't see huge leaps coming, unless of course FF comes about. the other thing is the 5 will be zero learning curve from the 7 and you can share accessories between the 2 like grips and batteries if you plan on keeping the 7 as a back up/ second camera
historically the next model will drop that compatability in favour of something new
03-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thx so much for everyone's wisdom. Kinda what I thought. Maybe I better do it sooner than later due to the possible production problems if there are parts coming out of Japan. Nice price drop at B&H too! Now just have to get the wife to understand. I would love to keep the 7 as a backup, but that would be pushing it I fear.
03-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm not really one of those that yearns for FF, but if they were to bring out a FF in a body no bigger than the K10/20, with a similar leap in sensor quality over current FF's as we just saw with the K5 in the APS-C realm, that might prove to be irresistible. I think this is highly unlikely, though, given lens line-up decisions lately. As far as a new APS-C body, it's kind of hard for me to get my head around something that would make me want to upgrade anytime soon. I'm still pretty smitten by the K5. Even better high-ISO performance wouldn't do it, as the K5 already surpasses what I am ever likely to need. Absolute class-leading AF might do it, but I doubt it, because again, I'm pretty satisfied. But then again who knew how revolutionary and desirable the K5 would turn out to be? Could they have some more magic yet to work?
03-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KLSMpls Quote
OK so I am convinced the K-5 is a worthwhile upgrade from my K-7. The only thing that makes me not pull the trigger is the K-5 came out so soon after the K-7. Anybody know anything about the next offering so I don't wish I had just waited again? Since the K-5 sensor is such a big leap forward, it is hard to imagine any huge improvement coming so soon again, but.....
Well I bought the K-7 in the first weeks of appearence, so I used it for 17 months before I gave it a good kick out of my house. You either wait and see or just jump in to the next camera. Never complain that you just waited til half-time of lifespan of a camera has be gone before you purchased it.

New APS-C flagship with easter 2012 and who knows maybe even a Full Frame camera before.

03-28-2011, 08:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Either wait 18 months for the 'K-3' (which maybe like the K-7 and not much of an upgarde from the K20D, or it may not and be another great leap forward from the K-5 )

OR

buy a K-5 now and enjoy a much better performance than your K-7
03-28-2011, 08:37 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I'm not really one of those that yearns for FF, but if they were to bring out a FF in a body no bigger than the K10/20, with a similar leap in sensor quality over current FF's as we just saw with the K5 in the APS-C realm, that might prove to be irresistible. I think this is highly unlikely, though, given lens line-up decisions lately. As far as a new APS-C body, it's kind of hard for me to get my head around something that would make me want to upgrade anytime soon. I'm still pretty smitten by the K5. Even better high-ISO performance wouldn't do it, as the K5 already surpasses what I am ever likely to need. Absolute class-leading AF might do it, but I doubt it, because again, I'm pretty satisfied. But then again who knew how revolutionary and desirable the K5 would turn out to be? Could they have some more magic yet to work?
Absolutely agree... I couldn't see myself wanting any more than the K-5 for my usage, except may be faster/accurate AF. I am currently happy with my K-7 in general.
03-28-2011, 10:00 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Absolutely agree... I couldn't see myself wanting any more than the K-5 for my usage, except may be faster/accurate AF. I am currently happy with my K-7 in general.
If you are not finding and shortcomings with your K7....keep it.

Upgradeitis nervosis is what you are going through.
03-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spotmatic Quote
If you are not finding and shortcomings with your K7....keep it.

Upgradeitis nervosis is what you are going through.
Sounds like it, or he's trying to induce it. The K-5's my upgrade, soon as price meets my purse, got a K20D and can wait. If things go well, that'll be a bit after what's next comes out.
03-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
In this case, the shortcoming is the sensor. I would love to have the flexibility of higher ISO settings and exposure range for so many things....which is why I finally decided it was not just a case of "upgradeitis nevosis". If I get the K-5 I can indeed not imagine my wanting to upgrade for a long time, unless Pentax does have something else magical up its sleeve. As others have said, a better focus for them now is lenses....hopefully.
03-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

In this case, the shortcoming is the sensor. I would love to have the flexibility of higher ISO settings and exposure range for so many things....which is why I finally decided it was not just a case of "upgradeitis nevosis". If I get the K-5 I can indeed not imagine my wanting to upgrade for a long time, unless Pentax does have something else magical up its sleeve. As others have said, a better focus for them now is lenses....hopefully.
The K-5 sensor s far better.

When the K-7 arrived I had absolutely no interest in upgrading to it from my K20D. When the K-5 arrived I was chomping at the bit for one. - says it all.

Get a k-5. You won't regret it.
03-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I hope it gets replaced soon so the K-5 comes down in price.