Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
Forum Member

Should have left it alone

So, in checking the sensor on my new K5 (f/22, iso100, etc.), I found no "stains" - dom 1/2011 - but did find one tiny dust spot in the lower right hand corner of the sensor image. It had no impact on real world shooting, but it still bugged me.

I couldn't shake it or blow it away, so I decided to try the Pentax "sticky stick".

You guessed it, now I have 3-4 dust spots - including the original!

Only visible at high f stop and 100% mag - camera "dust check" is clean - so no real world effect.

Questions:

1) What did I do wrong with the sticky stick? pressed too hard, maybe? Should I try again?

2) What's a good sensor cleaning system?

3) As long as the camera "dust check" is clean, should I just ignore these few spots under extreme conditions, and go take pictures?

Thanks for your input

03-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Probably....I never used anything on my K20D for three years......a blower once or twice. If it doesn't show up in a photo, I let it be. Some are obsessed with a little dust, I'm not. I have a Canon friend that wet cleans his sensor once a week, whether it needs it or not.....I tend to view that as obsessive/compulsive, and don't get too close for fear of catching it.
Best Regards!
03-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Is it safe to assume you followed the instructions for the O-ICK1?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/121739-those-...ml#post1259109

03-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I did follow the directions as best I could, but I can also see how a trace of dust can stick to the O-ICK-1, and then to the sensor if not properly cleaned with the supplied paper each time. Not sure I like this product.

Thanks for the "black spots" post, Jeff.

03-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

My tips for sticky stick:
1. wear a flu mask; otherwise try to hold your breath whenever your nose is facing the sensor
2. take a shower, wait 5 minutes but keep the bathroom door closed, then clean the sensor in the bathroom. This will eliminate dust in the air. Bathroom is also good because there's almost no airflow. Mke sure you lock the door so that your family member don't blow dust into the camera by opening the door.
3. dont' be tempted to clean everything, make a mental note of where the dust is and clean just that area. Remember location of dust on the sensor is upside down from the picture.
4. when using the stick, push firmly but not with excessive force. Don't drag, just push down. Push only once and then you go back to the sticky sheet rightaway, otherwise you're just moving dust around.
5. don't use the same area on the sticky sheet twice. The whole sheet should be enough for the whole sensor but if needed, don't hesitate to use a new sheet.
6. Remember keep the body cap on whenever not cleaning.

I sometimes wish I have arctic butterfly instead since that's what everyone seem to recommend. Maybe I'll try that after I run out of sheets, but I'm quite happy with my O-ICK

And as to whether you should ignore stubborn dust or not is really your call. I shoot alot at F/4 with the K10D and don't bother with spots that only show up at F/8 (the less you clean the better!). Blower + K10D dust shaker seem to clean spots alright.

I know it's not recommended practice but I find it's much better to actually have the camera upward (!) when changing lenses. Put the camera on a stable surface and have the new lens ready to swap on my other hand. Yes the mount will be exposed to dust but only for a fraction of the time when compared to when you change lenses upside down. This is just imho, of course FWIW I only have to clean my sensor once every six - eight months with the stick.

And if you're new to the sticky stick and find it hard to use, don't despair! My first cleaning lasted an hour and didn't clean everything, very frustating, but now it lasts at most five minutes and the results are good

Last edited by Andi Lo; 03-29-2011 at 06:21 AM.
03-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey there it happened to me. I went to Pentax shop and they cleaned it for 5 mins. Maybe you can try Arctic Butterfly.
03-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Good tips, Andi.

Thanks
03-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

The O-ICK1 is not fail-proof.
Even with Andi's precautions, you can still have dust entering inadvertently, either via the stick or air, and ruin your efforts. The K-5 sensor should be quite amenable to just rocket blowing (preferably with a blower with a dust filter). Perhaps give that one a go and you may be surprised to see no further traces of dust.

03-28-2011, 10:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PENFRED Quote
So, in checking the sensor on my new K5 (f/22, iso100, etc.), I found no "stains" - dom 1/2011 - but did find one tiny dust spot in the lower right hand corner of the sensor image. It had no impact on real world shooting, but it still bugged me.

I couldn't shake it or blow it away, so I decided to try the Pentax "sticky stick".

You guessed it, now I have 3-4 dust spots - including the original!

Only visible at high f stop and 100% mag - camera "dust check" is clean - so no real world effect.

Questions:

1) What did I do wrong with the sticky stick? pressed too hard, maybe? Should I try again?

2) What's a good sensor cleaning system?

3) As long as the camera "dust check" is clean, should I just ignore these few spots under extreme conditions, and go take pictures?

Thanks for your input

Hi
This is my favorite subject, because I do not understand why so many people are intimidated by it.

Firstly please realise the sensor, while it is a delicate piece of engineering, is more robust than you would think. The fear of doing damage to it only makes your hands shaky, so take a deep breath, relax and get to work in the knowledge that it actually takes some doing and some extraordinary stupidity to ruin the little blighter. By all means take all the prescribed precautions cited by other posters above.

Now, I have been using the "orange lolly" (as I like to call it) for many years with nothing but total success. And I use it when ever I discover dirt on the sensor. (I check regularly) The reason simply is this; You never know what the particle that is stuck on your sensor actually consist of. It could be anything, from a piece of Salami, (just kidding) a sweaty piece of skin flake to just an ordinary bit of dust. The point is, since you do not know what it is, it is better to remove it quickly before it has a chance to "weld" itself to the sensor surface over time in which case a wet cleaning method will be the only way to get rid of it. For the last 4 years I never had to do this. So please don't ignore or live with it and let the dust linger. I go so far to say that every wet clean is the result of an unknown speck of crap that got stuck to the sensor because it was given a chance to "ferment" through humidity and condensation.

When using the "orange lolly" follow this way:
Make sure the surface of the lolly which will make contact with the sensor is clean by dabbing the supplied paper. To make sure you don't dab the same spot of paper next time, overlay a grid of little squares roughly the size of the lolly head by scoring the paper lightly with a Stanly knife. (And then tick off the used one with anything sharp). This way you don't wast paper either.

When applying the lolly press down firmly with A LOT OF GENTLE FEELING (I think you know what I mean). You will feel a very slight vibration and a little hum coming through the shaft of the stick. This is normal and I think it comes from the SR system. (Someone may be able to confirm this here)

Now when it comes to lift the lolly off, slowly tilt the shaft to one side and then lift off, don't lift the thing off by moving it up straight as it will make it harder to disconnect. Do not drag the lolly head across the sensor surface either. Now dab the next unused paper square and repeat the process until you feel happy all trouble spots are covered. Check for dust and if necessary repeat the process. (Sometimes you need to go over twice or even thrice).

That's it you are done. There is really nothing to it. (Oh, one more thing, shine a bright desk lamp into the opening so you can see what you are doing.) After you have done this several times you will wonder why you were so scared of it before.

Here is how I rejuvenated the lolly:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/131190-...nge-lolly.html

Greetings from sunny Melbourne
03-29-2011, 08:15 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Schraub, I'll give your technique a try.
03-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Here is the two dust that was removed from my K-5
Attached Images

03-30-2011, 09:43 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks to all for the suggestions. With practice, I've had some success with the sticky stick.

However, now I'm wondering what you all think of the in camera dust alert feature - unique to Pentax as far as I know.

Do you feel that if the dust alert image is clean, that's good enough for real world shooting? Anyone know what parameters (f stop, iso, etc) Pentax uses to do this test? I couldn't get a readout in LR.

Until the stain issue came about, I had just used this dust alert feature, and things seemed fine. The stain test parameters (e.g., f32, iso 100) are pretty extreme. Don't want to obsess over sensor dust for no good reason.

What do you folks think?

Thanks
03-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #13
Inactive Account

The dust alert is too easily fooled. To the point in fact, I don't even trust it. Spots I can clearly see when a lens is stopped down do not appear in the dust alert. It Does work for some situations but if I really want to know, f22, Av, sky. Rule out any birds or distant airplanes, the rest, is dust.

03-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The dust alert feature is worse than useless.
03-30-2011, 04:29 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Arctic Butterfly works every time. Buy the cheapest model since they are all essentially the same.