Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2011, 04:41 AM   #31
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
I guess you totally miss the point... which is, the protector won't have any scratches, ever. That's why people use them. I mean the useful protectors like GGS.
Ah, I wasn't aware that some protectors are scratchproof. My comments were based on the fact that the protector on my K20D did have a (very minor) scratch. I'd be skeptical of claims that any of these things are totally scratchproof, unless they're made of sapphire or similar hard material. There's also the matter of reduced visibility in some light conditions with at least some protectors. But anyway, I've been doing a bit of reading, and it appears that these things are mostly removable, though it may take some effort.

03-30-2011, 07:28 AM   #32

I use the Zagg brand of screen protectors on my cell phone touch screens. I wonder if those would work. I get the ones specific for my type of phone but they do have general ones that can be cut also. Maybe they even make ones for cameras. I don't know much about what types of protectors people put on their camera screens and I don't have my camera yet, but I've been happy with the protection I get on my cell phone screens with the Zagg.
03-30-2011, 07:55 AM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Ah, I wasn't aware that some protectors are scratchproof. My comments were based on the fact that the protector on my K20D did have a (very minor) scratch. I'd be skeptical of claims that any of these things are totally scratchproof, unless they're made of sapphire or similar hard material. There's also the matter of reduced visibility in some light conditions with at least some protectors. But anyway, I've been doing a bit of reading, and it appears that these things are mostly removable, though it may take some effort.

Even sapphire is not utterly invulnerable to damage. However, the advantage of the screen protector is that not only is it more resistant to scratching than the lcd, but it also can be replaced cheaply. Much like a sacrificial anode it is there to be damaged.
03-31-2011, 01:24 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Ah, I wasn't aware that some protectors are scratchproof. ...
I'd be skeptical of claims that any of these things are totally scratchproof
Nothing is totally scratchproof, of course. But you have to seriously abuse them to scratch them. One of the large hungarian photo websites tested GGS, the guy used scissors, screwdriver - no scratches. Hitting the protector with the screwdriver several times like a mad murderer mad no scratches. After serious abuse the worst he could produce is a tiny little scratch.
So in normal use you won't have any scratches on it and they are quite cheap.

My wristwatch's sapphire face glass is also free of scratches, even thought it was hit many times by sharp metal things. Surely it and the titanium case can also be damaged by large enough force, but them my arm and hand is also destroyed... and I would worry about the latter a bit more than my wristwatch

04-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #35

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Learn from my mistakes

Well, I never used a screen protector before but after reading the comments I thought what do I have to lose. I ordered a glass cover mentioned here, installed it, but there was dirt on the inside of the screen (which I hadn't noticed before installing - it was covered by film, it shouldn't have been there). I realized this when I cleaned the outside. So I carefully (I thought) tried to remove the protector according to directions but it shattered. And when it did it scratched the screen in two places. Never had a scratch before. Sort of sick about it. I'll get over it and hopefully someone will learn from my mistake.
04-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Protection? PROTECTION!

I don't need no stinkin' protection!
04-01-2011, 11:39 PM   #37
Inactive Account

Nenä liina on hyvä. Sillä, kun pyhkii nokkansa välillä.

04-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the ACMAXX protector as well. I read through all the old threads on it before I made my decisions. The pros for the ACMAXX are that it has the top lcd protector as well, has a little space between the protector and LCD cover itself (which, plus its non-glass construction, means it can absorb a little impact without transferring it to the camera itself, not that this probably matters). But to me the biggest advantage of the ACMAXX is that is is removable--the adhesive is only around all the edges. When I first put it on I actually did a bad job but was able to get it off and reposition it (note I had not really firmly pressed it down yet). But it would come off no problem if you wanted to replace it (my face is so oily, plus I use sunscreen often, so after a while it is nice to have the option of putting a clean one on). As Jrforman noted, the glass GSS one really is trouble trying to get off.
04-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
I have the ACMAXX protector as well. I read through all the old threads on it before I made my decisions. The pros for the ACMAXX are that it has the top lcd protector as well, has a little space between the protector and LCD cover itself (which, plus its non-glass construction, means it can absorb a little impact without transferring it to the camera itself, not that this probably matters). But to me the biggest advantage of the ACMAXX is that is is removable--the adhesive is only around all the edges. When I first put it on I actually did a bad job but was able to get it off and reposition it (note I had not really firmly pressed it down yet). But it would come off no problem if you wanted to replace it (my face is so oily, plus I use sunscreen often, so after a while it is nice to have the option of putting a clean one on). As Jrforman noted, the glass GSS one really is trouble trying to get off.
+1 on GGS removal. You have to do it slowly.
04-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the information.
I never used one before, but my oily knose was a bit of a problem for my screen, so today I put on ACMAXX protector. It seems great and if you can remove it as easily as their instructions say, it is certainly worth it.
David
04-04-2011, 02:14 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
The pros for the ACMAXX are ... has a little space between the protector and LCD cover itself (which, plus its non-glass construction, means it can absorb a little impact without transferring it to the camera itself, not that this probably matters). But to me the biggest advantage of the ACMAXX is that is is removable--the adhesive is only around all the edges.
GGS is exactly the same - at least the ones I've seen so far.
04-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #42

Original Poster
What is the reccomended way to degrease the rear lcd prior to installation? Got my camera in before the screen cover so now it has nose prints on it...
04-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #43
Veteran Member

2cm thick steel reinforced kevlar
04-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Balog Quote
What is the reccomended way to degrease the rear lcd prior to installation? Got my camera in before the screen cover so now it has nose prints on it...
Rubbing alcohol / lens cleaner and a microfiber cloth.
04-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #45

Yes, that is what I bought online. About $7.00 for two sheets, and the first one went on pretty nicely. I really like the matte surface.