Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2011, 08:04 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pTom Quote
You admitted that AF is needed whoever they are
I never said it wasn't used by specific people (my first reply gave my impression of who that class of people is). I just wanted to make sure you're clear about the people who are since you seemed to be saying that AF is important to "any video pro"...

Let me try it a different way: current (and probably for the next 2-3 years at least) DSLR video is not for average consumers. Consumers will probably be much happier w/ a dedicated videocam or a P&S. I think this probably includes you from your questions/comments but that's a big IMHO and you're dreamin' otherwise
Will it get there eventually? Maybe. But it'll never be as easy as video off a cell phone or P&S or videocam.

03-31-2011, 10:42 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery
i would do betetr use of manual ISO instead of AF...
03-31-2011, 10:53 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF for video would be way down my priority list. Full exposure control on the other hand would be near the top (right after de-crippling the k mount)
03-31-2011, 06:51 PM   #34
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
DSLR video is not for average consumers
then DSLR photo is not for average consumers too , isn't it ?

Acctually, the first Nikon-D90 was created for ... fun, for ... Youtube , for .. anyone who knows how to do with video clips , definitely not aim to "HIGH" consumers. Then, HIGH consumers see its benefits so they try to "exploit" them in many ways

I'm really happy with Canon HV-20 , but I'm much HAPPIER if i can "exploit" K-5 to do a part of video work as well as Canon HV-20 can voluntarily do a part of photo job (gives excellent IQ pics in 3Mb-size class while my Pentax Optio S60 cannot compete) . I said that "a part of video work" because I know it's a long way to implement all PRO video features (even somes of HV20) in DSLR , because the revolution started just few years ago. I'm trying to use K-5 as second video camera on (remote) tripod or hand held in some cases.

Just call me that I'm so "amateur" or "novice" that I need Video-AF. No problem with me. I dont worried about levels of people. Because some "Pro" features in the past eventualy become normal standard for amateur/novice in the future.

How is "Video-AF" - the so-called-non-Pro feature - so difficult to implement in DSLR ? Aha ...
When? "next 2-3 year at least" , Kenyee guesses. I don't think so. Let Pentax judge

I put more hopes in Pentax because I like its compact, enthusiastic and efficient style from time to time .

03-31-2011, 07:33 PM   #35
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gybp Quote
i would do betetr use of manual ISO instead of AF..
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Full exposure control
Somes said these work with Manual Lens, not with kit len.
These control are easier to ask for than video-AF. Other DSLRs already have them "easily".
Therefore, if I ask for Video-AF , other controls will maybe included !
03-31-2011, 11:15 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Ei K-5 voi käyttää edes lusikkana. Onneksi lusikka on keksitty ei tarvitse syödä liemiruokaa tikuilla.
04-01-2011, 12:46 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Now, this is what I would like for shooting video - if Pentax releases their own version of this with support for K mount I could be very very interested:
Sony : New Super 35mm & rain-proof camcorders launched : United Kingdom
04-01-2011, 06:39 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

those are really nice Christine, but appear to be video only ( i think the photo/video thing requires performance limitations at this point (damn that HXR-NX70E - World first dust and rain proof professional HD camcorder is drool worthy, with a FF sensor yet)

04-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Now, this is what I would like for shooting video - if Pentax releases their own version of this with support for K mount I could be very very interested:
Sony : New Super 35mm & rain-proof camcorders launched : United Kingdom
Indeed...I think the NX concept is great. And a more useful hybrid if you really need useful AF....
04-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
those are really nice Christine, but appear to be video only ( i think the photo/video thing requires performance limitations at this point (damn that HXR-NX70E - World first dust and rain proof professional HD camcorder is drool worthy, with a FF sensor yet)
That's kind of my point - I am not convinced the SLR camera form factor is all that great for shooting video.

Sony has the right idea I think - make video and still cameras that share the same technology and lenses. Of course, it works for them too - the purchaser spends twice to get two bodies and gets locked in on both photos and videos, making it even harder to switch brands.

One interesting thing about these new cameras is the ability to send uncompressed 4:2:2 video out the HDMI port, so if you have a hard disk video recorder capable to real time recording off HDMI you can capture uncompressed frames losslessly. Imagine the bandwidth required for that!
04-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
That's kind of my point - I am not convinced the SLR camera form factor is all that great for shooting video.

Sony has the right idea I think - make video and still cameras that share the same technology and lenses. Of course, it works for them too - the purchaser spends twice to get two bodies and gets locked in on both photos and videos, making it even harder to switch brands.

One interesting thing about these new cameras is the ability to send uncompressed 4:2:2 video out the HDMI port, so if you have a hard disk video recorder capable to real time recording off HDMI you can capture uncompressed frames losslessly. Imagine the bandwidth required for that!
Well they were always an industry leader in this area of video in any case, so really they are trying hard to tie in the still area i think

I think for video a proper video camera is the best form factor. as a matter of fact for shooting video personally i like the big rig resting on the shoulder

the idea here i'm sure is in part a response to the share the 5DMKII is taking in budget video production
04-01-2011, 11:22 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Voi olla että jättävät pois koko video toiminnon seuraavasta mallista. Keskittymällä olelliseen eli valokuvaukseen. Voivat ehkä valmistaa erillistä videokameraa halvenpana mallina, niille jotka eivät ymmärrä oikeasta videokamerasta höläsen pöläystä.
04-02-2011, 11:47 PM   #43
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sony NX - another example of leaders in video field now try to invade photo field ! But that's 90% video + 10% photo functions. Pana GH2's form still looks more compact and efficient than videocam form.

It seems Pentax has more challenge to create a hybrid camera based on SLR form factor.