Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #1

K5 is here, battery is charging, some concerns

The big day is here, and my K5 has arrived! I'm super excited, but I have a few concerns. But first, here are my initial thoughts. Keep in mind I'm comparing this to a K20D.

Overall: so tiny! I like the larger right side grip, but I'm a little worried about the abrupt edge on the left. I used to grab that side with my off hand to help steady it, hopefully the smaller body will make that less important. One think I really dislike is the feel of the levers and dial. They just feel a little... I don't know, gritty or cheap, compared to my K20. I'm hoping that's just a "needs breaking in" issue, not a "they don't make 'em like they used to" issue. Flash sticks up more on the K5, but feels more flimsy then the K20. I miss the little twist lock for the SD card slot, glad it's still on the battery compartment.

I'll add more once the battery is charged, but I have some questions about the overall process.

I bought from B&H, and neither the K5 nor either of the lenses I got have a warranty card. How in the world do I get one, or is filling it out and sending it in unneeded for securing service if something goes wrong?

And as an aside, how long does it generally take from PMing Adam with the order details, and receiving Site Supporter status? Sent details on Mon, don't know if I should bother him again yet or not.

Last edited by Balog; 03-30-2011 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Correcting spelling error
03-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Balog Quote
The big day is here, and my K5 has arrived! I'm super excited, but I have a few concerns. But first, here are my initial thoughts. Keep in mind I'm comparing this to a K20D.

Overall: so tiny! I like the larger right side grip, but I'm a little worried about the abrupt edge on the left. I used to grab that side with my off hand to help steady it, hopefully the smaller body will make that less important. One think I really dislike is the feel of the levers and dial. They just feel a little... I don't know, gritty or cheap, compared to my K20. I'm hoping that's just a "needs breaking in" issue, not a "they don't make 'em like they used to" issue. Flash sticks up more on the K5, but feels more flimsy then the K20. I miss the little twist lock for the SD card slot, glad it's still on the battery compartment.

I'll add more once the battery is charged, but I have some questions about the overall process.

I bought from B&H, and neither the K5 nor either of the lenses I got have a warranty card. How in the world do I get one, or is filling it out and sending it in unneeded for securing service if something goes wrong?

And as an aside, how long does it generally take from PMing Adam with the order details, and receiving Site Supporter status? Sent details on Mon, don't know if I should bother him again yet or not.
Yeah, go ahead and shoot him another PM, it doesn't normally take him long to get back to you.
You don't need a warranty card for a claim, just a receipt. I always keep mine in the box, which I also always keep.
Give the K5 a little time for you to get used to it. You'll be fast friends before you know it. It's general build quality is above that of any previous body (other than the K7). Of course, some people still prefer the bigger bodies of K10/K20. If this turns out to be you, you may need to try a grip as this solves the issue for many.
Congrats and have fun!
03-30-2011, 08:22 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
You don't need a warranty card for a claim, just a receipt. I always keep mine in the box, which I also always keep.
If I print the email confirmation from B&H, does that count as a receipt?
03-30-2011, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I used to grab that side with my off hand to help steady it, hopefully the smaller body will make that less important.
That might work for P&S or compacts. For larger cameras I recommend left hand under the lens. This is particularly helpful with zooms, and longer/heavier lenses.

03-30-2011, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

If I print the email confirmation from B&H, does that count as a receipt?
As long as it's got all the pertinent info on it. Purchase date, your name, exactly what you've bought, etc. B&H always includes a packing slip with all this, do you not have that?
03-30-2011, 08:47 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
As long as it's got all the pertinent info on it. Purchase date, your name, exactly what you've bought, etc. B&H always includes a packing slip with all this, do you not have that?
Oops, there was one... must have dropped it in my excitement.
03-31-2011, 01:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I bought the K5 and tested it in the shop, the first thing I noticed was how flimsy the mode dial felt compared to my K10D. Maybe there is a different rubber used in the seal which allows more play, maybe there's something else.

03-31-2011, 06:48 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery

After reading your thread, it reminded me to look for my warranty card in my new K-5. There isn't one either on mine.

I received my (alleged new) K-5 from B&H last Friday. Given that I had suspicions that my K-5 was not brand new (wrinkly plastic from all the wrappings, manual that was opened before), now I'm even more suspicious. AArghhh.
03-31-2011, 07:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

There is no warranty card, only a serial number card. You can register your camera online, but it is not necessary; as noted above you only need to provide your sales receipt as proof for warranty service.
03-31-2011, 01:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
When I bought the K5 and tested it in the shop, the first thing I noticed was how flimsy the mode dial felt compared to my K10D. Maybe there is a different rubber used in the seal which allows more play, maybe there's something else.
It's not more flimsy. The k10 mode dial stays put by means of a hefty detent which makes it harder to move from position to position. The k-5 has a button to lock/unlock it. Which means the dial is permitted to move easily while it is unlocked. You are equating less friction to feeling cheaper. It's all in your head. Materials wise, they are similar as far as i can tell, but the k-5 is manufactured nicer, and has less potential for the lockup wearing out over time.
04-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #11

Original Poster
Ok, so I've been messing about but haven't had a chance to really get into it too much (darn busy schedule). While I'm still in the return period, can someone link me to the tests for the known FF/BF and sensor stains?
04-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also moved from the K20 to the K5 and when I unboxed I thought the camera felt so small. Plus, I often shot the K20 with the grip (I shoot weddings), so the K5 was downright tiny.

I can say that after the past couple weeks with the camera I am really pleased. Give the dials a little time to get used to. As far as size, get the grip. No only will it help give you more size I have always found that the grip gives the camera good balance.
04-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #13
Forum Member

To each his own I guess. Probably the deciding factor for me going Pentax over Nikon was size (body and lenses). For me, the K5 is an optimally sized camera. Even with large hands, it's no problem.