Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 103
K5 is here, battery is charging, some concerns

The big day is here, and my K5 has arrived! I'm super excited, but I have a few concerns. But first, here are my initial thoughts. Keep in mind I'm comparing this to a K20D.

Overall: so tiny! I like the larger right side grip, but I'm a little worried about the abrupt edge on the left. I used to grab that side with my off hand to help steady it, hopefully the smaller body will make that less important. One think I really dislike is the feel of the levers and dial. They just feel a little... I don't know, gritty or cheap, compared to my K20. I'm hoping that's just a "needs breaking in" issue, not a "they don't make 'em like they used to" issue. Flash sticks up more on the K5, but feels more flimsy then the K20. I miss the little twist lock for the SD card slot, glad it's still on the battery compartment.

I'll add more once the battery is charged, but I have some questions about the overall process.

I bought from B&H, and neither the K5 nor either of the lenses I got have a warranty card. How in the world do I get one, or is filling it out and sending it in unneeded for securing service if something goes wrong?

And as an aside, how long does it generally take from PMing Adam with the order details, and receiving Site Supporter status? Sent details on Mon, don't know if I should bother him again yet or not.


Last edited by Balog; 03-30-2011 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Correcting spelling error
03-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by Balog Quote
The big day is here, and my K5 has arrived! I'm super excited, but I have a few concerns. But first, here are my initial thoughts. Keep in mind I'm comparing this to a K20D.

Overall: so tiny! I like the larger right side grip, but I'm a little worried about the abrupt edge on the left. I used to grab that side with my off hand to help steady it, hopefully the smaller body will make that less important. One think I really dislike is the feel of the levers and dial. They just feel a little... I don't know, gritty or cheap, compared to my K20. I'm hoping that's just a "needs breaking in" issue, not a "they don't make 'em like they used to" issue. Flash sticks up more on the K5, but feels more flimsy then the K20. I miss the little twist lock for the SD card slot, glad it's still on the battery compartment.

I'll add more once the battery is charged, but I have some questions about the overall process.

I bought from B&H, and neither the K5 nor either of the lenses I got have a warranty card. How in the world do I get one, or is filling it out and sending it in unneeded for securing service if something goes wrong?

And as an aside, how long does it generally take from PMing Adam with the order details, and receiving Site Supporter status? Sent details on Mon, don't know if I should bother him again yet or not.
Yeah, go ahead and shoot him another PM, it doesn't normally take him long to get back to you.
You don't need a warranty card for a claim, just a receipt. I always keep mine in the box, which I also always keep.
Give the K5 a little time for you to get used to it. You'll be fast friends before you know it. It's general build quality is above that of any previous body (other than the K7). Of course, some people still prefer the bigger bodies of K10/K20. If this turns out to be you, you may need to try a grip as this solves the issue for many.
Congrats and have fun!
03-30-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 103
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
You don't need a warranty card for a claim, just a receipt. I always keep mine in the box, which I also always keep.
If I print the email confirmation from B&H, does that count as a receipt?
03-30-2011, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,904
QuoteOriginally posted by Balog Quote
I used to grab that side with my off hand to help steady it, hopefully the smaller body will make that less important.
That might work for P&S or compacts. For larger cameras I recommend left hand under the lens. This is particularly helpful with zooms, and longer/heavier lenses.

03-30-2011, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by Balog Quote
If I print the email confirmation from B&H, does that count as a receipt?
As long as it's got all the pertinent info on it. Purchase date, your name, exactly what you've bought, etc. B&H always includes a packing slip with all this, do you not have that?
03-30-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 103
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
As long as it's got all the pertinent info on it. Purchase date, your name, exactly what you've bought, etc. B&H always includes a packing slip with all this, do you not have that?
Oops, there was one... must have dropped it in my excitement.
03-31-2011, 01:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member
sterretje's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,534
When I bought the K5 and tested it in the shop, the first thing I noticed was how flimsy the mode dial felt compared to my K10D. Maybe there is a different rubber used in the seal which allows more play, maybe there's something else.
03-31-2011, 06:48 AM   #8
Senior Member
Armanius's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 112
QuoteOriginally posted by Balog Quote

I bought from B&H, and neither the K5 nor either of the lenses I got have a warranty card. How in the world do I get one, or is filling it out and sending it in unneeded for securing service if something goes wrong?

And as an aside, how long does it generally take from PMing Adam with the order details, and receiving Site Supporter status? Sent details on Mon, don't know if I should bother him again yet or not.
After reading your thread, it reminded me to look for my warranty card in my new K-5. There isn't one either on mine.

I received my (alleged new) K-5 from B&H last Friday. Given that I had suspicions that my K-5 was not brand new (wrinkly plastic from all the wrappings, manual that was opened before), now I'm even more suspicious. AArghhh.

03-31-2011, 07:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,869
There is no warranty card, only a serial number card. You can register your camera online, but it is not necessary; as noted above you only need to provide your sales receipt as proof for warranty service.
03-31-2011, 01:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 469
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
When I bought the K5 and tested it in the shop, the first thing I noticed was how flimsy the mode dial felt compared to my K10D. Maybe there is a different rubber used in the seal which allows more play, maybe there's something else.
It's not more flimsy. The k10 mode dial stays put by means of a hefty detent which makes it harder to move from position to position. The k-5 has a button to lock/unlock it. Which means the dial is permitted to move easily while it is unlocked. You are equating less friction to feeling cheaper. It's all in your head. Materials wise, they are similar as far as i can tell, but the k-5 is manufactured nicer, and has less potential for the lockup wearing out over time.
04-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 103
Original Poster
Ok, so I've been messing about but haven't had a chance to really get into it too much (darn busy schedule). While I'm still in the return period, can someone link me to the tests for the known FF/BF and sensor stains?
04-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 667
I also moved from the K20 to the K5 and when I unboxed I thought the camera felt so small. Plus, I often shot the K20 with the grip (I shoot weddings), so the K5 was downright tiny.

I can say that after the past couple weeks with the camera I am really pleased. Give the dials a little time to get used to. As far as size, get the grip. No only will it help give you more size I have always found that the grip gives the camera good balance.
04-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #13
Forum Member
feilb's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 83
To each his own I guess. Probably the deciding factor for me going Pentax over Nikon was size (body and lenses). For me, the K5 is an optimally sized camera. Even with large hands, it's no problem.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
battery, camera, card, concerns, details, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k20, k5, pentax k-5
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LR44 vs SR44--metering concerns deadwolfbones Pentax Film SLR Discussion 19 02-20-2016 04:20 AM
Looking to buy a k-5 but have a few concerns.... kevinj909 Pentax K-5 14 02-25-2011 07:48 AM
K10D Concerns, Getting Ready to Purchase One DuManchu Pentax DSLR Discussion 20 01-15-2010 01:07 AM
LBA Management & Concerns hinman Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 66 12-14-2009 05:55 PM
Concerns with new K10D vyx313 Pentax DSLR Discussion 16 06-30-2007 03:22 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:07 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top