Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 AF using different lenses.

after a week of testing the Af of my K5 and a sigma 17-50mm OS I finally went back to the shop and tested some other lenses...the results were interesting... the only lens that was calibrated in normal light was my sigma 17-50 { it didnt need any adjusting}...the others were just tested the way they came out of the boxes......lighting was at between EV2-3....flash was used as I didn't have the K5 tripod mounted...

the whole reason behind this shop visit was due to my sigma being OOF by a country mile at 17mm in low light..the images at that FL are so mis-focused its not funny. from 35mm to 50 mm its ok..using contrast AF the lens is perfect at all FL's !

I tested a Pentax 17-70 F4 SDM F4, my sigma 17-50mm F2.8 OS, Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 and a Sigma 20-40 F2.8 EX DG

all tested were done handheld, real world conditions with back to back contrast AF and Phase Detect AF....

the Pentax 17-70 F4 SDM was OOF at 17mm, but good with Contrast AF...my Sigma 17-50 OS was still OOF at 17mm but good with contrast AF....the pentax DA 21mm was good using both Phase detect and contrast AF...the sigma 20-40 was as not bad at 20mm using phase detect but still OOF, contrast AF was good..

so all in all the only tested lens that was good using both AF methods was the DA 21mm...

the focus assist light would intermittently work using Phase detect....contrast AF was the same..

.I then tested a D7000...using a 17-55 Nikon lens...I had to disable the focus assist light as it would work every-time with either Phase detect or contrast detect...to my dismay..it focused every time at 17mm perfectly...

the shop is getting a sigma 17-50 OS in next week in a nikon mount for me to test back to back with the k5 and the D7000...Ill update this post with those results ...

04-02-2011, 01:31 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Your K5 does have the latest firmware, right? Very low artificial light gave the first version some difficulties in phase detect.
04-02-2011, 03:08 AM   #3
Forum Member

One very customer-friendly shop for sure! Before my K5 went back only the 70mm limited focused right, the 21mm slightly less so. The d7000 with the kit lens is spot on. I am thinking of buying the 17-50 sigma OS on Nikon mount, so Please give us an update.
04-02-2011, 03:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Your K5 does have the latest firmware, right? Very low artificial light gave the first version some difficulties in phase detect.
yes, Im well aware of all the threads concerning the FF issues surrounding the K5.
while this thread does extend that experience, it also shows that not all lenses will work with the new FW {1.03}.

QuoteOriginally posted by tbirdas Quote
One very customer-friendly shop for sure! Before my K5 went back only the 70mm limited focused right, the 21mm slightly less so. The d7000 with the kit lens is spot on. I am thinking of buying the 17-50 sigma OS on Nikon mount, so Please give us an update.
yes the shop is the best as far as Im concerned, it certainly had paid for me to buy local, the help Ive had so far is beyond reproach .

No problem with the lenses test {Siggy 17-50}.