Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you Do you use AA battery tray in your battery grip?

Hi all...

Do you use AA battery tray in your battery grip? How is it compare to the lithium battery (performance wise -- enough juice to run the camera as lithium battery)?

wanted to buy a 2nd hand battery grip but unfortunately the seller lost his AA battery tray.... if you have one and would like to part with it, I would like to get it from you!

The only reason I wanted to get the battery grip is to use the AA battery! I know, its weird.

Please let me know asap~

Lee

04-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I bought the grip a month before the K-5 was released as I had read the Lithium batteries held up in sub-freezing temps so much better than the Li-50's I had been using and the Li-90's I was going to. Much to my dismay the first day out in the cold with 6 Lithiums stuck in the grip, power faded in 15 min and I had to resort to the in-camera Li-90 to finish the shoot for 45 more min. Since then I have not used the AA battery grip at all as the LI90's hold up a lot longer. Maybe I had a bad batch, don't know. Not buying anymore until I read enough evidence that its worthwhile.
04-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #3

i like using the AA batteries....i use low self discharge NIMH (lenmars, 2100mAh per). they're much easier to find, and with my 15-min charger, i can recharge pretty quickly. of course the Li-90 is in the body. i set camera to use power in grip first, than in body; so that if my AA's are done....the battery in the body is fresh. hope you find a replacement AA tray

-raph
04-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would only use AAs in the battery grip as a last resort.
6 AA batteries weight more than a single D-LI90 battery.
The D-LI90 holds up better than any AA especially in the cold.
It only takes one dud AA battery to affect performance, which I've experienced firsthand with a dud Eneloop.
With third party D-LI90 equivalents that are dirt cheap online, I've seen no compelling reason to resort to using AAs.

04-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
6 AA batteries weight more than a single D-LI90 battery.
The D-LI90 holds up better than any AA especially in the cold.
For alkalines and NiMH, yes, but not for primary lithium AAs.

The D-Li90 weighs exactly the same as 6 lithium AA batteries (Energizer). Primary lithium batteries also perform even better than li-ion batteries in cold, rated for high performance down to -40 degrees. A set of six should also last longer than a single charge of the D-Li90 (based on charge capacity and voltage), and you can get more than 3 sets for the price of one.

For long term use, not cost effective, but no better option for backup I would say, especially since they can also be used for other appliances and be found out in the wild much easier.

Last edited by Cannikin; 04-04-2011 at 09:09 PM.
04-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Primary lithium batteries also perform even better than li-ion batteries in cold, rated for high performance down to -40 degrees.
As I said in the beginning, they may be rated for -40 but a brand new set of brand name lithiums didnt make it 15 minutes at 30 deg. Before I buy another batch I need to hear that people are actually getting MUCH better performance in the cold (but I don't wish to hijack this thread with a call for experiences).
I did not mention before that they recovered nicely once back indoors.
04-04-2011, 10:04 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
As I said in the beginning, they may be rated for -40 but a brand new set of brand name lithiums didnt make it 15 minutes at 30 deg. Before I buy another batch I need to hear that people are actually getting MUCH better performance in the cold (but I don't wish to hijack this thread with a call for experiences).
I did not mention before that they recovered nicely once back indoors.
I haven't had experience with the battery grip for the K-5/K-7, but in my K-x, a single set of 4 Energizer lithium AAs lasted more than 2500 shots, approximately 1/3 of which was taken in near or sub-freezing temperatures. The meter didn't drop below full reading even once after well over an hour of constant shooting in the cold.

Last edited by Cannikin; 04-04-2011 at 10:29 PM.
04-04-2011, 10:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
I haven't had experience with the battery grip for the K-5/K-7, but in my K-x, a single set of 4 Energizer lithium AAs lasted more than 2500 shots, approximately 1/3 of which was taken in near or sub-freezing temperatures. The meter didn't drop below full reading even once after well over an hour of constant shooting in the cold.
Thanks, those are the kind of experiences I need to hear. +1
04-05-2011, 12:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i use 3rd party battery in my 3rd party grip...

Never actually tried the 6aa's because I may as well use the 3rd party batteries inside the grip. I dont want 3rd party batteries inside the body, in case they leak.
04-05-2011, 12:08 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I tried the AA tray when I first got the grip just to see if it worked (6 cells). It weighed a ton but worked ok for me. I'll guarantee that the day ever comes I actually could USE it for its purpose, it will have been left at home. 2 of the proprietary batteries last me forever. That is, long enough I'm never worried about running out of power.

04-05-2011, 12:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have my AA tray, but it doesn't get any use since knock off Di-90's are cheap. Using 6 AA's also is a lot heavier, and it doesn't have a place to hold an extra memory card. Best saving your AA's for your flash since they sure can tear through them fast enough. Ever since I got my Metz 58 AF-2 my AA's have a far less chance of seeing the grip than before... they actually were in the grip once, and did not last nearly as long as the knock off Ansman DI-90 I use in it.
That being said, I still wouldn't part with it.. if I was going on a trip or out camping etc, I would probably bring the damn AA cradle just in case I ended up out of power and needed to buy(camping I would bring) some AA's to keep going. That's about the only instance I can think of actually taking it with me. Even camping, I would probably buy a cheap inverter for my vehicle to charge normally.

Last edited by Chex; 04-05-2011 at 12:39 AM.
04-05-2011, 12:53 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Hi all...

Do you use AA battery tray in your battery grip? How is it compare to the lithium battery (performance wise -- enough juice to run the camera as lithium battery)?

wanted to buy a 2nd hand battery grip but unfortunately the seller lost his AA battery tray.... if you have one and would like to part with it, I would like to get it from you!

The only reason I wanted to get the battery grip is to use the AA battery! I know, its weird.

Please let me know asap~

Lee
Will I use the AA tray? I'm sure I will but more like an emergency option.

But I wouldn't just buy the grip just for the AA capability.
04-05-2011, 07:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I've got 2 battery grips to use between 2 K-5 and 1 K-7 cameras, and I've never used the AA battery tray; they just sit in the box at home. As said above, third party D-LI90 batteries are cheap, and for me, it is also easier in terms of AA battery management. I keep my AA batteries in sets of 4 for my flashes, store them in sets of 4 and charge them in sets of 4; using 6 AA batteries in the tray would just mess with battery management.
04-05-2011, 04:16 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eneloops in the grip as primary power (and a "harmonic balancer") , D-Li90 in body for secondary and one more D-Li90 as a back-up.
I run out of memory before running out of juice. I did buy the grip mainly for the AA`s. Improved handling is nice bonus.

p.s. Waiting for K-5 to drop below 1100.00 before pulling the trigger.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 04-05-2011 at 04:51 PM.
02-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #15

Photos: Albums
I've never used my AA tray, like Chex above any AA's I'm carrying are for the Metz 58 that lives in my bag