Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I have not had time to compare the IQ between both as of yet, I can say this though, the ISO performance of the k-5 is astounding. Shooting this past weekend, one of the shoots was at a skate park under a bridge, very limited on the lighting, I bumped up to ISO 3200 on quite a few shots to get my shutter speed around 1000 and the ISO performance was astounding. This was the first major performance boost I have noticed thus far.

I am heading out to shoot a few things and I am hoping to get a good IQ comparison between the two cameras. I will try and post more on the results later on tonight...

Last edited by joe.penn; 04-11-2011 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Mispelling
04-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
BTW: Eruditass, I see you are right up the road from me (In Laurel, I am in Southern Maryland), what kind of action shooting are you doing?
I try to shoot whatever I get a chance to. K-x works pretty great outdoors, but fading light is an issue. Most recently the K-x was a bit slow keeping up in Roller Derby with weaker indoor lighting. This was with the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8.
04-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #18
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

The focusing and ISO 3200-6400 is where it has made the difference to me.
I don't even consider ISO 12,800 on the K-x but would in a pinch on the K-5 - and I have found use for that setting in a handheld, low-light action setting (see the Pentax high ISO gallery for examples of this).
Then AF is a dream with the K-5, and in my field tests, the Tamron 70-200 is faster, a dream to use, and precise buddied up with the K-5. It is decent on the K-x but there is some fiddling around due to focus points and slight speed disadvantage, but otherwise the K-x holds up pretty well too.
04-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The focusing and ISO 3200-6400 is where it has made the difference to me.
I don't even consider ISO 12,800 on the K-x but would in a pinch on the K-5 - and I have found use for that setting in a handheld, low-light action setting (see the Pentax high ISO gallery for examples of this).
Then AF is a dream with the K-5, and in my field tests, the Tamron 70-200 is faster, a dream to use, and precise buddied up with the K-5. It is decent on the K-x but there is some fiddling around due to focus points and slight speed disadvantage, but otherwise the K-x holds up pretty well too.
Great feedback, Ash. Thx. One question - what's the difference in IQ from ISO 100 - 1600?

04-11-2011, 10:49 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
First pic was shot at ISO-100, second at ISO-1600...

Last edited by joe.penn; 02-10-2012 at 08:51 PM.
04-12-2011, 01:01 AM   #21
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

That one will be harder to decipher between the two cameras John.
ISO 80 is definitely no gimmick despite being outside the 'native' range of the K-5, but the K-x really does well in the 200-1600 range that I personally can't tell the difference in real world photos. Pixel peeping may show some differences but I have not done such testing to compare.
04-12-2011, 01:06 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
2 more stops of DR, its a fair jump... the same jump again from the K-7 to K-x
04-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K5 is great for sports, not only outdoor but with thanks to the excellent sensor for indoor as well. I now have no problem shooting in the ISO 3200-6400 range. This picture ws taken with K5 + Sigma 70-200 F2.8 HSM II at ISO 5000.

04-19-2011, 03:49 AM   #24

Photos: Albums
Are there any more K-x to K-5 upgraders willing to share their experiences? Anyone feel the upgrade was not worth the price? I really don't have any complaints with the K-x, but can't stop lusting for a K-5.
04-19-2011, 05:48 AM   #25
Forum Member

Just do it. I tried my friend's Kr and I'm already swearing on how slow the Kx works.

Kx focus slow, focus incorrectly, small viewfinder, low resolution LCD.

Beside the Kx is white, cheap and a pentax, other things are worth upgrading.

Just do it.
04-19-2011, 06:03 AM   #26
Inactive Account

I have both the K-x and K-5 and they are in a different league..many facts have been already told..now in my opinion if you get the K-5 you will start to suffer from LBA soon..this body "wants" good glass..and also "wants" a battery grip.....and so on

Andras
04-19-2011, 06:19 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
If you have some good pentax glass. I would say just do it. It will blow the K-x away in my opinion. If not spend it on glass.
04-19-2011, 07:01 AM   #28

Do it. I did it and I don't regret a thing. Body and AF is more responsive, exposure is better, holds better, more controls are a joy, viewfinder is better (and with indicators). IQ wise, I see some improvement, but not enough to switch just for IQ. But feature-wise, it's just way better body.

The things I like the most:
- TAv, HyperProgram
- 2 rollers
- AF-C/S switch
- spot/matrix/center metering switch (I just switch to spot metering and use AE-L in difficult lightning situation/with fill flash)
- AE-L button separate from AF button
- control for AF selection (I use auto 5 for tracking/point selection)
- AF!!!! - esp. accuracy (I have a lot more in-focus keepers than before)
- AF fine tuning
04-19-2011, 09:54 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I have the K-5, K-x, and K10D.

The TAv, 2 dials, AF-C/S, separate AE-L and AF are all quite useful and carried over from the K10D. The green button and ISO button placement are better, though I'd prefer the AF center/select knob to be on the other side. It's much easier to check exact focus with the previews, by turning extra sharpness all the way up, and the custom image settings can be tweaked allow a better estimate of highlight clipping for RAW while still having a decent exposure for the rest of the preview. The ISO and DR is of course amazing, and the on feature I'd miss the most is AF fine tuning.

Perhaps my expectations were a bit high, but I'm not floored by the K-5. The auto-focus is better, but not amazing, although my tests were extremely taxing (a bumble bee flying around), but it also had trouble with my cat walking towards me (granted, he is a tuxedo). If only it had arrived on friday, I could've used it at an event with lowish lighting and fast action.

I have a friends with D300s and 60D, and maybe I can get some comparisons (yes, it's tragic that we all have different mounts). Of course the D300s autofocus options are heads above: I'm not talking points or tracking, but even just stuff like how long to wait if an object comes in front of what you were focusing on. Of course there are many things on the Pentax that are better. The auto ISO options, SR stabilization with metering, and green button come to mind.

A thing that stood out to me was when I was doing a lot of continuous shooting: how long I had to wait for a preview. It would make the experience a lot better if I could look at just the first preview and zoom in while it was emptying the buffer, but even after a normal shot, without any corrections on, was slower than I wanted for the price. Was on a Class 10 card

Last edited by Eruditass; 04-19-2011 at 03:19 PM.