Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What to expect from K-x to K-5

I just ordered my K-5, currently I am shooting with a K-x. Can I expect to be blown away by the differences between the two? I have compared the specs and everything else and it seems like a pretty big jump from the K-x to the K-5, I am just curious about performance, IQ, etc..

Thanks in advance...

04-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The biggest difference will be in the number of added controls. There's just so much more you can do without having to click into menus or use the LCD! The build quality should also feel a bit more solid, and the shutter will be snappier.

The dynamic range is about 1.5EVs wider, and the noise control is better. So yes, it's a big upgrade, but it all depends on what you're shooting!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I shoot a variety of stuff, anything i can shoot i shoot it.

However, I mainly shoot skateboarding photography (80% of all shooting). I should be shooting the Dew Tour this year which will be in July, so I am looking to spend this time from now till then getting used to the K-5...
04-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You will be blown away, not only by the specs, but also by the quality build and solid feel when operating it.
I think all Pentax DSLRs are built better than the competitions' comparable models, but the K-5 really is the best they have made IMHO.

04-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thats good to know about the K-5 build quality, I was already expecting that. I have tipped my K-x over twice, and both times have fell on hard concrete attached to a tripod extended about halfway. The first time I bumped it, it tipped, hit pretty hard to where it blew out the glass in my lens filter, only put a small scratch on the body - very solid camera.
04-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
I haven't used my K-5 extensively yet, but it seems to me so far like the metering and focus has improved quite a bit. And the shutter noise is barely audible compared to the K-x. The menus are almost identical and most of the controls are very similar, but one thing that has been causing me problems is that I keep hitting the front dial when I try to switch the power off on the K-5.

The battery life so far seems like it's a good bit better than the K-x (I always use eneloops in the K-x) but again that's based on limited use. The viewfinder is noticeably bigger and the LCD screen is way nicer than the K-x.

If you like to shoot Hi-speed continuous when you're doing skateboarding shots, you will definitely be very pleasantly surprised.

Rick
04-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
Forum Member

Definetly worth the upgrade.
Shutter - much more quiet. Faster FPS.
Build - more solid feeling. Not that much larger then K-X but little bit heavier. Second dial is great for manual or Tav. Weather resistant. LCD is usable for manual focusing with magnification,especially on tripod. There is upper LCD with important info though i still cannot get used to it and check main screen.
Sensor - 16mp, little better at high ISO, 80 lower ISO, higher dynamic range. I feel that SR is also little better.
Features - level indicator (do not use often),micro-adjusting focus per lens,interval shooting,infra remote spot on back and front of camera,much more things to adjust but less pre-set modes.
Focus - from Live View - much faster, usable. Normal focus little faster but sometimes camera says that its in focus when its clearly not.
Overall for me main pluses are build, weather resistance,quiet shutter and mainly second dial.
Very pleased with upgrade. Only dark spot is that there are dark spots on sensor but i will send it back once rains stop and then back to my K-X with its single dial for few weeks.

04-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #8

I still love the images I get from my K-x. It is a great little camera, and I thought it was unbeatable until I got my K-5. It's still in my bag as a reliable backup, and second camera when I don't have time to swap out glass.

On to what I love about the K-5:
I really appreciate that there is a switch to change the metering mode right there beneath the mode dial. It makes it so easy to switch between center weighted and spot for those difficult metering situations.

I also like the larger display on the back.

BATTERY LIFE! BIG, HUGE improvement! I took 200+ shots during a Senior Session yesterday, on a battery that had already shot at least 100 frames, and it still reads "full". It will be even better when I add a battery pack.

I shoot in Manual mode, and really appreciate the front dial. I have it set for aperture, back dial handles shutter speed. Perfect!

Higher resolution = larger prints.

Definitely faster autofocus, the af assist lamp works well, and the shutter is so quiet it disturbed me at first.

Very solid camera. Impressive images. Enjoy!
04-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
I had a K-x and tried the K-5 in a store after having seen the high-ISO quality output.
Once I heard the silent shutter instead of the loud K-x slap, I was sold.
The physical controls are a lot more generous and the image quality in low light notably better.
With the K-x I was always prepared for the next battery swap. Now I can just keep shooting.
04-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #10

One of the advantages of the K-5 over the K-X is it's ability to fine tune the focus for your lenses. It's a bit of work but worth it.
04-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Bodies come and bodies go. When they go the bottom drops out of their value. If you are happy with kx use your budget to buy lenses or accessories
04-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any comments specific on both low light focusing speed/hunting and high speed action tracking?
04-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
When using auto focus, everything seems great, low light and action tracking - I got the camera in and updated the firmware to the latest version, shot with it all weekend during different skate sessions/shoots and used a sigma 18-50 2.8 AF lens, focused really quickly and accurately. I am currently having a couple issues with the focusing using MF lenses, which I hope to have resolved soon.
04-11-2011, 01:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
BTW: Eruditass, I see you are right up the road from me (In Laurel, I am in Southern Maryland), what kind of action shooting are you doing?
04-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

How about IQ? Is the K-5 a big step up from the K-x in terms of DR? Can you see the difference in every shot?