Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Sandisk Ultra 16GB format error on K5?

A kind of stupid question, but has anyone had problems with K-5 and Sandisk Ultra cards? I popped my brand new, unused 16GB Ultra card into K-5, but got a memory card error at about 10% when trying to format it (tried several times). I thought the card was bad, but it formatted just fine in my K200D. Took a few pictures on K200D, put the card back in K-5 and now it formatted with no problems. Firmware is 1.03.
I suppose both cameras do format the card into same format, so it is either a glitch or a bad card?

I'll try a surface scan, when I get a card reader. I guess the store won't exchange the card as it is working now...
I have had several bad experiences using Kingston cards on K200D, but Transcend or Sandisk have never been trouble before.

04-06-2011, 06:30 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When you get a card reader you can format it in your PC then try it in the camera. I rarely format my cards but just do a delete on the PC and they seem to be okay.
04-06-2011, 06:42 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lockheed,
Mine isn't that Ultra, but Extreme (also 16Gb). One day I had a continuous issue when my K-5 was telling me 'card error' message all the time I tried to insert the card. I've got it cured when cleaned card's contacts with rubber eraser.

Just 2c.

Zig
04-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments.

Eaglem: I usually never write on my camera cards on pc, thinking that it is more reliable to use them in camera only, but in this case I'll probably write the card full a couple of times on pc to see if errors occur, and run a surface scan too.

Zig: dirty contacts is a possibility (and a preferred one, as I'd hate to see the card electronics die on a vacation trip, killing 16 gigs of photos).

04-06-2011, 11:50 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lockheed Quote
A kind of stupid question, but has anyone had problems with K-5 and Sandisk Ultra cards? I popped my brand new, unused 16GB Ultra card into K-5, but got a memory card error at about 10% when trying to format it (tried several times). I thought the card was bad, but it formatted just fine in my K200D. Took a few pictures on K200D, put the card back in K-5 and now it formatted with no problems. Firmware is 1.03.
I suppose both cameras do format the card into same format, so it is either a glitch or a bad card?

I'll try a surface scan, when I get a card reader. I guess the store won't exchange the card as it is working now...
I have had several bad experiences using Kingston cards on K200D, but Transcend or Sandisk have never been trouble before.
where did you buy it from? could be fake card, if it isn't fake sandisk should have life time warranty.
04-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Croc Quote
where did you buy it from? could be fake card, if it isn't fake sandisk should have life time warranty.
I'm quite sure the card is real, bought it from a large, reliable retailer who cannot risk selling fake cards. I guess I could try to return the card but there should be some proof of it being broken, and the card works and formats fine on my K5 now.

Btw, as far as I know, here the Finnish law does not know such thing as a life time warranty. There is a regular warranty like 1/2/5 years etc, and there is also a thing called "virhevastuu" (responsibility for errors) for customer protection, that states that goods must be usable for a reasonable time (usually 2 years) even if the manufacturers warranty is only for 6 months. The warranty is always for limited time though, the term "lifetime" is just too vague (I'm not a lawyer though, so I may be wrong... all these national vs European Union laws make a fine mess IMO)

Sorry for going slightly off topic. The card maybe faulty, but for now, I think the first format error was a glitch until proven wrong. Apparently Sandisk and K5 are compatible.
04-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #7
Forum Member

I have an Ultra 4GB card and i can vouch for dirty contacts being an issue. This was true of my PC card reader and K5 though. As mentioned above, an eraser (especially one from an erasable pen) works well.