Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Can't we have both? Just build in a mechanism that selectively slides in/out a plain matte screen or a split prism screen depending on a selected focusing mode. We would need just a cheapo linear actuator and a little more space right under the pentaprism.

C'mon Pentax, get on it! You'll sell at least one!

04-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #17
Banned

wow... that may be the most unappealing solution I've ever heard of.

The split prism and microprism focusing aids do not interfere with AF operation at all. What exactly would be the point of switching constantly between two focusing screens? Add yet another easily-broken moving part that can fail at any time?

You pick one you're happy with, you use it. Very simple.

And what's this nonsense about APS-C sized focusing aids and brackets? What difference does it make if the split prism is its current size or x0.66 size? Wouldn't that just make it harder to see the detail we're trying to focus on? Last I checked, the optional guides are placed there by the company selling the focusing screen, and are perfectly suited to the camera they're intended for. This includes AF brackets and such.
04-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the split prism exists on the screen before they cut it down and frequently it's off center, gridlines too sometimes exist before.
04-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #19
Banned

If anything is off-center when you receive it, then it's defective and should be sent back for replacement.

As for the grid lines, they're added on as an option. I had them for my K-7's focusing screen, and in all cases it's optional for the different K-5 focusing screen models. They're created by polishing away some of the matte (and therefore they become nearly invisible in bright light).

04-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
should be an option, like the colour of the K-x's, you pick what you want when you order it and it comes installed and calibrated.
04-12-2011, 08:55 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paolo.Bosetti Quote
Guys, I don't want to start another complain thread on it (there are a few already). Rather, I want to share my experience after fw1.03. I sort of agree with many others (Smeggypants) claiming that the fw1.03 is somehow inconsistent in low light conditions: sometimes it works and sometimes not. I have the feeling (though nothing scientific here) that my previous body (k20d) in the same conditions would probably refuse focusing. In other words, perhaps the autofocus issue is there just because the new safox is much more sensitive in low light, and thus more prone to errors.
My experience is different. My K20D ( which I've now sold as I have 2 K-5s ) never used to refuse to focus in the conditions that both my K-5s show inconsistent focus in.

However I do like the idea of getting a split screen focussing screen. I had one on my old Ricoh SLR in the 80s and loved it