Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
Pentaxian

K-5 continues to impress (500mm trial)

I haven't had much time to play with the K-5 since I've received it over a month ago, but today I seized the opportunity to try it against some low light, telephoto shooting. The image was taken at ISO1000 and I shot to the left to to preserve highlights. However, since I was using the 1.7x TC at f/8 I figure this would a strain on things since my K20's definitely wouldn't t play along under these conditions.

The first thing I noticed was where the K-5 focused/locked in a low light setting without so much as a hickup(even at f/10). Which I thought was pretty cool to say the least. But it was Live-view that was most exciting as I was able to manually push as high as f/22 without so much as a single complaint with AF.

The second thing was of course the potential PF differences due to the higher resolution. However, I was genuinely pleased to find no difference between the K20 and K-5 files with respect to PF.

The final thing was of course the added resolution and grain quality the K-5 has to offer. The file cleaned-up like champ and my modest 500mm TC combo turned-up as detailed as any *300 lens would do(A+ for that!)

This marks my second attempt at pushing the K-5 under real world conditions and I am pleased to say things are looking very good so far.

K-5, 1/250, f/13, ISO1000 - 500mm (cropped)

CROP - Spot focus, was on the eye

Cheers...

Last edited by JohnBee; 04-08-2011 at 03:27 AM.
04-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd be curious to see the original prior to editing

Looks good!
04-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry John, but I don't understand what the aperture (other than maximum) has to do with autofocus. Surely the focus is made wide open, as with metering, or are you manually setting the aperture? Have I missed a thread that describes the lens you've used with the TC.

Still that is a real world result to be happy with.
04-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
Sorry John, but I don't understand what the aperture (other than maximum) has to do with autofocus. Surely the focus is made wide open, as with metering, or are you manually setting the aperture? Have I missed a thread that describes the lens you've used with the TC.

Still that is a real world result to be happy with.
I assume he was manually stopping down the lens.

04-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ah, yes sorry, I completely missed a part
The lens used with the 1.7x TC was a Tamron SP 60-300 at 300mm + 1.7x TC.

Which I believe settles at/or around f/5.6 at full extension. However, with the 1,7x attached, my K20's would rarely focus in well light conditions let alone in dark underbrush. Which is why I found the K-5 to really stand-out. Aside from this, I managed manual aperture all the way to f/13(22 w/TC) with LV AF. Which I thought was pretty exciting.

PS. I adjusted my original post to better explain the aperture settings etc.

Last edited by JohnBee; 04-07-2011 at 04:41 PM.
04-07-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Very nice!

Personally, I have been completely impressed with the K5's capabilities. I am so excited to shoot a wedding with this camera. I got mine last month and I promptly installed the latest software. I don't know if I had stayed on 1.01 if I would have had the low light focus problems that were so widely talked about, but I have not had a single focusing issue. It has been dead on and it is going to make taking those dimly lit dancing reception shots an absolute blast.
04-07-2011, 11:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Taas, olisi jalusta.
04-07-2011, 11:47 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I got a friend whom using K5+Sigma 500mm

Basically he is the only Pentax Birder in our group of Pentaxians. His improvement from using Kx to K5 showing great result.

This is the link to his work he posted.

[kengoh] Little Pied Flycatcher (male + female)

But he told me between his Sigma 500 n DA*300, he still loves the DA*300 colors.

04-08-2011, 02:19 AM   #9
Inactive Account

JohnBee, I shoot birds alot. And the AF is really spot on. The only problem is in fairly dark spots under the canopy and very dark birds. It fails very bad. But Live view is usually spot on. I am not a huge fan of Pentax, actually ( HOYA )but a very good camera. Today it happened again but now i know what to do. It is rare but happens. Actually I would hate to be a wedding photographer and work with this. It would be a disaster in my opinion.
That aside very nice bird... well done.

These shots are all with Pentax, and mostly The K-5... later shots are with the K-x Really an EXCELLENT camera. I cannot tell you how it has changed my wildlife photography...
Flickr: gary1844's Photostream

Last edited by garyk; 04-08-2011 at 02:30 AM.
04-08-2011, 03:34 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
I'd be curious to see the original prior to editing

Looks good!
Hi Yaztzee,
I actually missed this post yesterday

Here's what the file looked like prior to processing.

As you can see, all I did was adjust global eV, and brighten-up the subject using ACR's adjustment Brush. Which likely ended in a 2 stop push in total(oh and sharpening of course ).

Which isn't all that bad considering I shot at ISO1000. Something I wouldn't of even bothered trying with the K20D.

Last edited by JohnBee; 04-08-2011 at 03:47 AM.
04-08-2011, 04:22 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
These shots are all with Pentax, and mostly The K-5... later shots are with the K-x Really an EXCELLENT camera. I cannot tell you how it has changed my wildlife photography...
Flickr: gary1844's Photostream
Hi
I had a look at your pics on Flickr. Firstly I would like to express my pleasure looking at your shots. I am not a "Birdman" myself because I do not possess the patience necessary to take pics like this.

But please allow me some constructive criticism and I certainly hope it does not upset you. But a great number of your shots display a fair bit of green cast. I have taken one of your shots and have attempted to correct this to show you what I mean. Now, by all means the correction is not perfect because JPGs are a bit difficult to correct, this is better done aut of RAW. Enclosed is your original and the corrected one. I hope you don't mind.

Greetings from sunny Melbourne

Last edited by Schraubstock; 07-24-2011 at 03:10 AM.
04-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Hi Yaztzee,
I actually missed this post yesterday

Here's what the file looked like prior to processing.

As you can see, all I did was adjust global eV, and brighten-up the subject using ACR's adjustment Brush. Which likely ended in a 2 stop push in total(oh and sharpening of course ).

Which isn't all that bad considering I shot at ISO1000. Something I wouldn't of even bothered trying with the K20D.
If this pic depicts the normal metering of the K5 - it seems typical Pentax i.e. underexposing by 1 to 2 stops, then I'm glad I changed brands - as that "under exposure" caused me endless frustration.

There would be no reason to actually "under expose" this scene as it's all a neutral color.

It's the nature of the Sony sensor that has allowed you to push the underexposed pic to get it to show decently.

For that scene it I feel it should have been easy for the Pentax K5 to be dead on with it's metering.
04-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
If this pic depicts the normal metering of the K5 - it seems typical Pentax i.e. underexposing by 1 to 2 stops, then I'm glad I changed brands - as that "under exposure" caused me endless frustration.

There would be no reason to actually "under expose" this scene as it's all a neutral color.

It's the nature of the Sony sensor that has allowed you to push the underexposed pic to get it to show decently.

For that scene it I feel it should have been easy for the Pentax K5 to be dead on with it's metering.
Try reading the original post and let me know if it makes sense to you.
Otherwise, I might try and explain things better. Though the short answer is that the underexposure was intentional.
04-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote

My K10D and K20D used to underexpose. My K-5's don't underexpose at all.
04-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

You guys have some impressive birds posted! I don't have any birds today, but I did shoot a Squirrel...or two...well, maybe more.

Also at 500mm with the Bigma
[IMG] [/IMG]

I'm very impressed with my K5......almost everything about it, but the main three items for me are......

*Fast and accurate AF, even my Bigma has stopped hunting like it did on my K20D
*The excellent high ISO quality
*The most excellent metering/exposure...this is almost as meaningful as anything else to me. It just nails it!

What a camera!
Best Regards!