Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Suggestions on where to buy Stain free K-5?

Been a good while since the release of the K-5 and I'm wondering if there are any online sellers that have taken action to ensure that they're selling K-5's that are free of the sensor stain issue (In addition to B&H). I called amazon.com and they claimed they weren't aware of any issue with the K-5 (hard to believe). I asked if they could give me inventory information regaring the number of shipments they've went through and they gave me nothing on that as well. Pentax isn't a popular brand so i'm thinking they still may have some of the first shipment of the camera in stock. I could be wrong. Any thoughts?

04-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
By now, the stock in every store should be clean.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Buy from a reputable dealer like Adorama or B&H, they are more likely to only stock the more recent production due to the volume that flows through their stores. If anything should be wrong with your camera they will offer you an exchange. Amazon is just a book store turned bulk seller of anything and everything; they don't have a clue as to what they are dealing in.
04-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'd go with adorama or B&H. Got mine from adorama last month and it is stain free!

04-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I got mine from B&H March 2, serial number 39… - found stain yesterday – one dot in right upper corner, definitely not dust. It developed thought the time – first few weeks I have not seen it. Sending camera to be cleaned tomorrow. But it is not a big problem coz Pentax will fix it for free and as in 5 days as the person from Pentax told me today.
Just buy a camera from a good dealer like B&H or Adorama. It is better to spent a few dollars more but be sure that the camera will be covered with warranty.
04-11-2011, 08:58 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Buy from a reputable dealer like Adorama or B&H, they are more likely to only stock the more recent production due to the volume that flows through their stores. If anything should be wrong with your camera they will offer you an exchange. Amazon is just a book store turned bulk seller of anything and everything; they don't have a clue as to what they are dealing in.
I'm sorry, but that's a ridiculous comment. Amazon has the best return policy in the business, IMO. They may not know cameras like the others, but certainly should be selling the same volume.
04-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
I think you have a good point. Photography being a specialty, I don't like the fact that amazon claims not to know anything about such a significant problem with the first shipment of K-5's. It's a bit ridiculous how little information they will give you beyond what is on the website order page. I studied the K-5 serial number/sensor stain thread and it seems obvious that specialty stores b h and adorama are selling cameras with the most recent serial numbers, whereas other sites, amazon included are still selling some of (perhaps) the first shipment. B & H also lists the k-5 price at $1378 and amazon at about $1500 (body). Product seems to be selling much more rapidly through the specialty sites, a plus in this case. Amazon is a huge business, spending lots on advertising, but still a very good place to order from. Just not for a K-5. At least not without some apprehension. Just not enough customer support. There are many many 3rd party sellers on websites that are selling the k-5, but it's just not clear where they get their stock. Could be first shipment, new cameras that were possibly gotten rid of at discount.

04-12-2011, 06:08 PM   #8

lensmoken

crazy maniacs leave my stains alone !!!!
OR....
my bigger brother will smoke your lens off

if you want no stains get an SF7 and

make some nice grain instead ))
Attached Images

04-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
I'm sorry, but that's a ridiculous comment. Amazon has the best return policy in the business, IMO. They may not know cameras like the others, but certainly should be selling the same volume.
I have to admit that Amazon have excellent customer service. It's a significant reason why they have grown so big.
04-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #10

I bought my first one at Amazon Warehouse, it had stains. I returned it for a full refund. I bought the one I have now from Adorama. I’ve had it for about a month now with no issues.

Good luck,
Rob
04-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rwfarnell Quote
I bought my first one at Amazon Warehouse, it had stains. I returned it for a full refund. I bought the one I have now from Adorama. I’ve had it for about a month now with no issues.

Good luck,
Rob
Amazon Warehouse sells customer returned items. I would think there were quite a few K-5 bodies returned to Amazon from people who didn't mention there was a stain/defect. That is, in part, because Amazon allows you to return the item within 30 days for any reason, defect or not.
04-16-2011, 09:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It appears, and has for quite some time, that Amazon is not doing the fulfillment, but are using one of their partners. The flavor this week is:

In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Big Value Inc.

If it doesn't come from Amazon, the return policy and stock rotation will vary. I picked Adorama via PF to give the forum a little kick back.
04-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rormeister Quote
It appears, and has for quite some time, that Amazon is not doing the fulfillment, but are using one of their partners. The flavor this week is:

In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Big Value Inc.

If it doesn't come from Amazon, the return policy and stock rotation will vary. I picked Adorama via PF to give the forum a little kick back.
NO SIR!!! I made that same mistake. Although I did some research on this BIG VALUE thingy. Not sure what to call them or where they get their stock from, but they are legit. Very good business to deal with actually, despite their cheesy, questionable name and website. They are BBB accredited and they are where I ordered my k-x from. But NEVER order from what is advertisted on the front page of the product page. That is a featured vendor, as is all of the 3rd party sellers in the marketplace. They are all rotated on the front page on a daily basis. It changes, not sure at what order, or why, but if you make some clicks and look at all of the sellers listed, you will see that amazon many times will have something in stock, ready to ship, but will post one of their other sellers instead. I fell for the front advertisment for a very expensive lens. It works fine, but found out how amazon lists their sellers, after I bought it. Had I known amazon had it in stock (which they did), I most certainly would have ordered from them instead of dealing with a dodgy warehouse in brooklyn I know nothing about. Thousands of people fall for this every day, and it works. But it's good to know ALL your options before spending hard earned cash.
04-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by outsider Quote
NO SIR!!! I made that same mistake. Although I did some research on this BIG VALUE thingy. Not sure what to call them or where they get their stock from, but they are legit. Very good business to deal with actually, despite their cheesy, questionable name and website. They are BBB accredited and they are where I ordered my k-x from. But NEVER order from what is advertisted on the front page of the product page. That is a featured vendor, as is all of the 3rd party sellers in the marketplace. They are all rotated on the front page on a daily basis. It changes, not sure at what order, or why, but if you make some clicks and look at all of the sellers listed, you will see that amazon many times will have something in stock, ready to ship, but will post one of their other sellers instead. I fell for the front advertisment for a very expensive lens. It works fine, but found out how amazon lists their sellers, after I bought it. Had I known amazon had it in stock (which they did), I most certainly would have ordered from them instead of dealing with a dodgy warehouse in brooklyn I know nothing about. Thousands of people fall for this every day, and it works. But it's good to know ALL your options before spending hard earned cash.

Not true. Amazon usually lists the lowest price on an item, and if that happens to be from a reseller, then that is what is displayed. On the right-hand side of the page, you'll see other sellers for that item, and Amazon MAY be a seller listed there. But 9 times out of 10, the price from Amazon is higher. If it's not a seller I'm comfortable with, I always look to see if Amazon carries it (at a higher price). If you don't pay attention when buying something, that's just your fault.

I pretty much exclusively order things from Amazon, if they carry them, as they almost always have the lowest prices, there's no tax, and I get free 2 day shipping. I can also return anything, for any reason, within 30 days, with free return shipping.

Amazon does not scam people. That is not how they do business, and anyone telling you otherwise is full of crap.