Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 412
Suggestions on where to buy Stain free K-5?

Been a good while since the release of the K-5 and I'm wondering if there are any online sellers that have taken action to ensure that they're selling K-5's that are free of the sensor stain issue (In addition to B&H). I called amazon.com and they claimed they weren't aware of any issue with the K-5 (hard to believe). I asked if they could give me inventory information regaring the number of shipments they've went through and they gave me nothing on that as well. Pentax isn't a popular brand so i'm thinking they still may have some of the first shipment of the camera in stock. I could be wrong. Any thoughts?

04-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 42,267
By now, the stock in every store should be clean.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator
Ole's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,853
Buy from a reputable dealer like Adorama or B&H, they are more likely to only stock the more recent production due to the volume that flows through their stores. If anything should be wrong with your camera they will offer you an exchange. Amazon is just a book store turned bulk seller of anything and everything; they don't have a clue as to what they are dealing in.
04-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 667
I'd go with adorama or B&H. Got mine from adorama last month and it is stain free!

04-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Saarbrucken
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 241
I got mine from B&H March 2, serial number 39… - found stain yesterday – one dot in right upper corner, definitely not dust. It developed thought the time – first few weeks I have not seen it. Sending camera to be cleaned tomorrow. But it is not a big problem coz Pentax will fix it for free and as in 5 days as the person from Pentax told me today.
Just buy a camera from a good dealer like B&H or Adorama. It is better to spent a few dollars more but be sure that the camera will be covered with warranty.
04-11-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Marin, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 281
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Buy from a reputable dealer like Adorama or B&H, they are more likely to only stock the more recent production due to the volume that flows through their stores. If anything should be wrong with your camera they will offer you an exchange. Amazon is just a book store turned bulk seller of anything and everything; they don't have a clue as to what they are dealing in.
I'm sorry, but that's a ridiculous comment. Amazon has the best return policy in the business, IMO. They may not know cameras like the others, but certainly should be selling the same volume.
04-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 412
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Buy from a reputable dealer like Adorama or B&H, they are more likely to only stock the more recent production due to the volume that flows through their stores. If anything should be wrong with your camera they will offer you an exchange. Amazon is just a book store turned bulk seller of anything and everything; they don't have a clue as to what they are dealing in.
I think you have a good point. Photography being a specialty, I don't like the fact that amazon claims not to know anything about such a significant problem with the first shipment of K-5's. It's a bit ridiculous how little information they will give you beyond what is on the website order page. I studied the K-5 serial number/sensor stain thread and it seems obvious that specialty stores b h and adorama are selling cameras with the most recent serial numbers, whereas other sites, amazon included are still selling some of (perhaps) the first shipment. B & H also lists the k-5 price at $1378 and amazon at about $1500 (body). Product seems to be selling much more rapidly through the specialty sites, a plus in this case. Amazon is a huge business, spending lots on advertising, but still a very good place to order from. Just not for a K-5. At least not without some apprehension. Just not enough customer support. There are many many 3rd party sellers on websites that are selling the k-5, but it's just not clear where they get their stock. Could be first shipment, new cameras that were possibly gotten rid of at discount.
04-12-2011, 06:08 PM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: france
Photos: Albums
Posts: 163
lensmoken

crazy maniacs leave my stains alone !!!!
OR....
my bigger brother will smoke your lens off

if you want no stains get an SF7 and

make some nice grain instead ))

Attached Images
 
04-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Smeggypants's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,536
QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
I'm sorry, but that's a ridiculous comment. Amazon has the best return policy in the business, IMO. They may not know cameras like the others, but certainly should be selling the same volume.
I have to admit that Amazon have excellent customer service. It's a significant reason why they have grown so big.
04-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
Senior Member
rwfarnell's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 150
I bought my first one at Amazon Warehouse, it had stains. I returned it for a full refund. I bought the one I have now from Adorama. I’ve had it for about a month now with no issues.

Good luck,
Rob
04-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by rwfarnell Quote
I bought my first one at Amazon Warehouse, it had stains. I returned it for a full refund. I bought the one I have now from Adorama. I’ve had it for about a month now with no issues.

Good luck,
Rob
Amazon Warehouse sells customer returned items. I would think there were quite a few K-5 bodies returned to Amazon from people who didn't mention there was a stain/defect. That is, in part, because Amazon allows you to return the item within 30 days for any reason, defect or not.
04-16-2011, 09:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member
rormeister's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 626
It appears, and has for quite some time, that Amazon is not doing the fulfillment, but are using one of their partners. The flavor this week is:

In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Big Value Inc.

If it doesn't come from Amazon, the return policy and stock rotation will vary. I picked Adorama via PF to give the forum a little kick back.
04-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 412
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rormeister Quote
It appears, and has for quite some time, that Amazon is not doing the fulfillment, but are using one of their partners. The flavor this week is:

In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Big Value Inc.

If it doesn't come from Amazon, the return policy and stock rotation will vary. I picked Adorama via PF to give the forum a little kick back.
NO SIR!!! I made that same mistake. Although I did some research on this BIG VALUE thingy. Not sure what to call them or where they get their stock from, but they are legit. Very good business to deal with actually, despite their cheesy, questionable name and website. They are BBB accredited and they are where I ordered my k-x from. But NEVER order from what is advertisted on the front page of the product page. That is a featured vendor, as is all of the 3rd party sellers in the marketplace. They are all rotated on the front page on a daily basis. It changes, not sure at what order, or why, but if you make some clicks and look at all of the sellers listed, you will see that amazon many times will have something in stock, ready to ship, but will post one of their other sellers instead. I fell for the front advertisment for a very expensive lens. It works fine, but found out how amazon lists their sellers, after I bought it. Had I known amazon had it in stock (which they did), I most certainly would have ordered from them instead of dealing with a dodgy warehouse in brooklyn I know nothing about. Thousands of people fall for this every day, and it works. But it's good to know ALL your options before spending hard earned cash.
04-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Marin, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 281
QuoteOriginally posted by outsider Quote
NO SIR!!! I made that same mistake. Although I did some research on this BIG VALUE thingy. Not sure what to call them or where they get their stock from, but they are legit. Very good business to deal with actually, despite their cheesy, questionable name and website. They are BBB accredited and they are where I ordered my k-x from. But NEVER order from what is advertisted on the front page of the product page. That is a featured vendor, as is all of the 3rd party sellers in the marketplace. They are all rotated on the front page on a daily basis. It changes, not sure at what order, or why, but if you make some clicks and look at all of the sellers listed, you will see that amazon many times will have something in stock, ready to ship, but will post one of their other sellers instead. I fell for the front advertisment for a very expensive lens. It works fine, but found out how amazon lists their sellers, after I bought it. Had I known amazon had it in stock (which they did), I most certainly would have ordered from them instead of dealing with a dodgy warehouse in brooklyn I know nothing about. Thousands of people fall for this every day, and it works. But it's good to know ALL your options before spending hard earned cash.

Not true. Amazon usually lists the lowest price on an item, and if that happens to be from a reseller, then that is what is displayed. On the right-hand side of the page, you'll see other sellers for that item, and Amazon MAY be a seller listed there. But 9 times out of 10, the price from Amazon is higher. If it's not a seller I'm comfortable with, I always look to see if Amazon carries it (at a higher price). If you don't pay attention when buying something, that's just your fault.

I pretty much exclusively order things from Amazon, if they carry them, as they almost always have the lowest prices, there's no tax, and I get free 2 day shipping. I can also return anything, for any reason, within 30 days, with free return shipping.

Amazon does not scam people. That is not how they do business, and anyone telling you otherwise is full of crap.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, issue, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5, stain
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this a stain on my k-5? bsimon Pentax K-5 15 02-09-2011 10:48 AM
free market place acess if buy from B&H for how long? clockwork247 Ask B&H Photo! 2 01-17-2011 08:01 PM
Is this a stain?? bsimon Pentax K-5 20 01-06-2011 10:43 PM
Suggestions Please? Wanting to buy Telephoto Zoom Len.... heymissjo Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 09-07-2009 09:54 AM
For Sale - Sold: FS: (Australia) Buy one get one free - DA 10-17 & Sigma 17-70 Kguru Sold Items 6 02-07-2008 07:48 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:27 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top