Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What goes around...

What goes around comes around. Not long ago B& H inadvertantly sent me a K-5 that had been returned to them instead of a "brand new" one.
I went off the deep end criticizing B&H mercilessly and without any justification--pure anger uncontrolled, nothing more. I have since said I was sorry. (I even asked Adam & PF staff to please remove my awful comments. They declined.)
I sent the original K-5 back and bought another from B&H even before the original had been shipped back.
Here's the "go around, come around" part:
I got the second K-5 last Thursday. (BEST CAMERA I HAVE EVER OWNED!!!) Before I got to the one hundred mark on shutter actuations, a thin gray vertical line appeared in the monitor. It runs the full height of the monitor. If it continued it would bisect the "X" in Pentax.
Now those of you who read my horrible comments about B&H, and have not yet forgiven me, are smiling knowingly. If anyone deserved to get a camera with a defect, it was me. And I did.
It does not affect anything, so I am torn as to what to do. Send it back? Send it to Pentax for repair (and be without it for who knows how long, and then own a brand new "repaired" camera)? Forget it?
Help.
Jack

04-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Send it back for replacement. They won't let you down.
04-12-2011, 04:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Point made, point taken, lesson learned. Now send it back and get the defect free camera that Pentax owes you.

Last edited by GregK8; 04-12-2011 at 03:16 PM.
04-12-2011, 05:33 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Greg and SF--
Send it back where? (Pentax? B&H?)
Jack

04-12-2011, 06:05 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Most would probably say B&H. I say, Pentax (CRIS) for repair. Reason being, they will fix any flaws with the camera and make any needed adjustments. Then, you'll have the perfect camera you seek (or as close to it as possible). Returning the camera to B&H, you are likely to get a replacement from the same lot, and Could have the same problem. The real difference to you will be wait time.

04-12-2011, 07:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter

B&h will get you a replacement quicker than cris.

I'd go with b&h first.
04-15-2011, 05:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I called Pentax. They took me through a "pixel mapping" routine. No luck. I called B&H, and they authorized a return of the camera. My third try at the K-5 arrives Monday. Keep your fingers crossed.
04-15-2011, 07:42 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I regret that you have this problem, but as you already know, the K5 is worth going through as many as necessary to get the Perfect one. I think that unless Pentax is "brain dead" we will see much improved QC in the future. The K5 has been a costly lesson for Hoya, one they surely don't want to have again.
Best Regards! Return it and get another as soon as possible. B& H will do what it takes to make you happy, they always do.