Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2011, 08:05 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-5 going back to Amazon, I guess

Amazon Warehouse has a K-5,"used, like new" pop up now and again for $1,110.
Took the plunge, it came yesterday and I love it!

But this morning did the stain check, and found this:

Used a blower, and tried different lens, still there in the same area.
1,3xx shutter count.
it had firmware 1.01, now 1.03
serial no. 38894xx

Kind of sick about it.
I guess it's best to return it to Amazon.
No warranty, but as I understand it Pentax will still fix or replace it.
Wondering how the turn around time is these days from Pentax?

04-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #2
Forum Member

Well on the bright side, Pentax will fix for free and you saved yourself several hundred dollars for a bit of patience.
04-12-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
Forum Member

Or I guess you said no warranty so maybe not for free?? Even refurbished come with the warranty so that would worry me.
04-12-2011, 08:31 AM   #4

fixed

pentax has fixed the newer models because of this discovered problem

04-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Amazon Warehouse on K-5, "käytetty, kuin uusi" pop nyt ja uudelleen 1110 dollaria.
Otti takapakkia, se tuli eilen, ja rakastan sitä!
Olet saanut jonkun varastossa lojuneen vanhan sarjan kameran.
Itse sanoisin minua on yritetty pettää. Nyt pitäisi olla kohta joku 450xxxxx sarja menossa.
04-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Just a thought, but if you want to keep the camera and have the time and patience to send it back to CRIS for the repair, try calling amazon warehouse deals or emailing them and ask for an additional discount....explain that the camera was advertised as used-like new and it is not as advertised.

just FYI, I bought a warehouse deals K-5 about a month and a half ago...received it...had sensor stains...called amazon and they offered an additional 20% discount to me if I agreed to keep the camera...all I had to do was ask! Doesn't hurt to ask, right? I happily obliged, got my 20% refunded to me the next day and shipped it out to CRIS, now I have a new replacement K5 with the kit WR lens, end price was $1104 and my patience with CRIS.

Good Luck!

Chris
04-12-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the info Chris!

I assume Pentax replaced your camera, even without a warranty?

Truth be told, if I knew that the stains would not get worse, I can live with them, since they do not seem to show up in any of my regular photos.
But I guess it's not known if the stains are stable, or might grow in numbers or size.

edit to update,
I called Amazon, and their only offer was a return within 30 days, no discount will be given.

Last edited by robtcorl; 04-12-2011 at 01:37 PM. Reason: update
04-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #8

Bob

There were no issues in getting my K-5 repaired (it was replaced not repaired) through CRIS, I arranged everything using the online chat/service. No questions were asked whether or not I had a factory warranty.

Sorry for the false hope. With my case, all I did was ask Amazon (through email) for an additional discount and they were the ones that came up with the 20%. Maybe they gave it to me because the starting price of my K-5/lens was higher at $1380? You could try emailing instead of calling...maybe their email support and phone support differ in terms of flexibility.

My turnaround at CRIS was 22 days, door to door. Shipped from Pittsburgh, PA. UPS ground.

Also, I did get a square trade 2 year extended warranty since I saved a good bit on the K5 itself.

04-12-2011, 03:18 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bob,

I did the same exact thing! I bought a K5 from Amazon warehouse for about $400 less than a new one ($$$ is important to me). Had it about 4 or 5 day and had taken about 200 pictures with it and had no problems. Then I was out taking pictures of the sunrise and the spots showed up! It was back in the box and at UPS by noon that day! I also ordered a new one from Adorama with next day shipping. Needless to say I was hooked and was willing to part with the extra $$$ for a new K5.

I’ve had my new one for about a month now and haven’t had any problems and I gladly spent the extra $$$$. I am a VERY HAPPY owner of the K5.

Good Luck and I hope it all works out for you as well as it did me.

Rob

two pictures taken with my new K5, not the best ever, but I like them.

04-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the added info Chris.
I may try the email route.

Terrific photos Rob!
I hear you about spending the extra bucks, I may go that route too.
24 hrs. in my hands and I'm still amazed!
04-13-2011, 01:20 AM   #11
Pentaxian

who cares, does it affect photos? no.
04-13-2011, 05:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Pentax additional 2 year K-5 warranty link

How much was square trade warranty for K-5 ?

Pentax CRIS warranty for K-5 is $19.95, adding two more years of coverage and a cleaning too. If I owned a K-5 I'd spring for the $20 warranty. Back when I bought K20D Pentax included this additional warranty for free.

Pentax Two-Year Extended Warranty for the K5 and KR 80227 B&H

QuoteOriginally posted by christopherf Quote
Bob

There were no issues in getting my K-5 repaired (it was replaced not repaired) through CRIS, I arranged everything using the online chat/service. No questions were asked whether or not I had a factory warranty.

Sorry for the false hope. With my case, all I did was ask Amazon (through email) for an additional discount and they were the ones that came up with the 20%. Maybe they gave it to me because the starting price of my K-5/lens was higher at $1380? You could try emailing instead of calling...maybe their email support and phone support differ in terms of flexibility.

My turnaround at CRIS was 22 days, door to door. Shipped from Pittsburgh, PA. UPS ground.

Also, I did get a square trade 2 year extended warranty since I saved a good bit on the K5 itself.
04-13-2011, 06:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Totta puhuen, jos tietäisin, että tahrat eivät huonone, voin elää niiden kanssa, koska ne eivät näytä näy missään minun säännöllisesti kuvia.
Mutta kai se ole tiedossa, tahrat ovat vakaita tai voisi kasvaa numeroita tai koosta.
Tahrat lisääntyvät ja vahvistuva ajankanssa. Tahroja voi tulla viellä tahrattomaankin, kun on ottanut 2000 - 4000 kuvaa tai enemmän.
04-13-2011, 07:04 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I chatted with a Pentax rep this morning:

"Me: I recently purchased a K-5 from Amazon warehouse. I assume it was a return, with no warranty. I have found sensor stains, and wanted to know if I should just return it to Amazon.
Rep: if you bought the camera used from Amazon you should return it because you have no Pentax warranty.
Me: I fear that it will just be sold again. The stains aren't too bad, do you think they may get worse over time?
Rep: We don't know if the stain will get worse over time since its a relatively new issue.
Me: So, since it is used, Pentax will not repair it?
Rep: it would still be serviced by Pentax but at a cost and for this issue the cost to repair it would probably exceed the cost of a new camera. So they would most likely just return it to you with that notation."

So, it seems that the used/returned stained sensor K-5's will be in limbo land.
It will go back to Amazon soon (well before the 30 day return policy) but it will be practiced upon for when my stain free K-5 is purchased.
Couldn't live without one now!
04-13-2011, 07:38 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On amazon it says
QuoteQuote:
Most Open-Box Electronics between $200 and $2000 come with a 1-year manufacturer warranty.
Was this not the case?

If so, could you pick up a square trade warranty and have it fixed?