Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2011, 03:22 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Then there is the occasional wash-down, after spilling chocolate milk on the back of the camera.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:49 PM.
04-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
so that grip is also for the k5 not just the k7? just checking before i place the order.
If it fits K7 then it fits K5.
04-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Snow shots can be fun, no matter what camera.
Wow! It must have been hell trekking threw the kitchen to get to the garage to get the shot.
04-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Guess I'm not "most people" my grip stays on my K20D unless 1) I'm changing batteries in the body or 2) doing extended tripod work.
I also use the gen-u-ine pentax grip. Transferred it from my K10D, I've been lucky enough not to be caught in torrential downpours with the K20D yet but I have been in them with the K10D. And the grip "worked as intended". I didn't have to worry that it was as "WP" as the "real" one, and that alone was worth the extra price I paid for it.

I was out shooting until they stopped the music 2 hrs later.

NaCl(the proof is in the pudding)H2O

edit: I'm also a firm believer in ponchos, I've one exactly the same except orange, and it fits over my bag (which has a raincoat too)

The thing is, your camera was not out if the full rain for 2 hrs? A plastic bag, and an extra battery in your pocket would have done just as well.

You take a shot and put it back.

I know I've seen pictures of the K20D out in the full rain, and the WR is just one of the many reasons I purchased it.

However, most people are fair weather photographers. Having all the WR everything is like killing a fly with a shotgun.

Everyone has different needs. For me, it was just overkill & not needed.

I know the poncho your talking about. I saw a few of those on the trail. They made them in orange to stand out against the forest colors. A safety measure so that a hunter would not mistake a hiker for a deer.

However, I don't think I would feel any safer knowing a hunter can see me a mile away.

04-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #35
Veteran Member

WR can come in handy.
Fill the bathtub with water, dunk it a few times, then put it in the freezer for 2 days. Let me know how "handy" that turns out.
04-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Then there is the occasional wash-down, after spilling chocolate milk on the back of the camera.
You must of spilled it on there on the way to get that shot of the "Great White Out" Storm of the Century. Don't they have any sponges, wet rags where you live?
04-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
Wow! It must have been hell trekking threw the kitchen to get to the garage to get the shot.
No, only took 5 seconds. I am too old for "trekking", did my share in Finnish Defense Forces, long time ago.

What was hell, was building that slide for my girls to use, for the two days that we had snow on the ground.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 04-13-2011 at 06:22 PM.
04-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I don't have a third party grip (my BG4 actually just arrived in the mail today), but WR was important to me, so I went Pentax. I shoot weddings and they happen rain or shine. Drunk guests happen too.

Just try to figure out what your needs are and go from there. You can always sell on the marketplace if you change you mind
04-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fill the bathtub with water, dunk it a few times, then put it in the freezer for 2 days. Let me know how "handy" that turns out.
I would, but the Cam is not Submersion Resistant, so therefore that would be a stupid thing to do. The freezer part is OK, it is rated for "cold".

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 04-13-2011 at 06:22 PM.
04-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
I don't have a third party grip (my BG4 actually just arrived in the mail today), but WR was important to me, so I went Pentax. I shoot weddings and they happen rain or shine. Drunk guests happen too.

Just try to figure out what your needs are and go from there. You can always sell on the marketplace if you change you mind
I couldn't agree more. There's a difference between something you need, and something you want. If I was doing wedding, I'd have everything in bubble-wrap.
04-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You must of spilled it on there on the way to get that shot of the "Great White Out" Storm of the Century. Don't they have any sponges, wet rags where you live?
No again. My 11 yo. daughter opened a can of chocolate-milk while standing close to the camera, stuff just came flying out. Pure accident, no way her fault. She got scared so I did a demo about how Pentax can take it and is not a "wuzz" camera. After that, she did not feel so bad anymore.

Now, move along and pick on someone else for a change of pace.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 04-13-2011 at 06:20 PM.
04-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No again. My 11 yo. daughter opened a can of chocolate-milk while standing close to the camera, stuff just came flying out. Pure accident, no way her fault. She got scared so I did a demo about how Pentax can take it and is not a "wuzz" camera. After that, she did not feel so bad anymore.
Good on you. That was a great shot you posted - I must admit I am not brave enough to do that with my camera (put it under running water).

But I felt really good shooting in pouring rain with my (then brand new) K10D a few years ago when weather-sealing in cameras was a novelty.

All the guys with Canon and Nikon looked at me aghast as if I was mad.

Got some great photos of cherry blossoms with water droplets on them!
04-13-2011, 06:38 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Good on you. That was a great shot you posted - I must admit I am not brave enough to do that with my camera (put it under running water).

But I felt really good shooting in pouring rain with my (then brand new) K10D a few years ago when weather-sealing in cameras was a novelty.

All the guys with Canon and Nikon looked at me aghast as if I was mad.

Got some great photos of cherry blossoms with water droplets on them!
Well, it was either that or take a chance with sticky buttons and they are not fun at all.
Almost impossible to clean after the stuff sets up.
Plus, my kid was feeling really bad about spilling on the camera.

P.S. it was done with reduced pressure, not any harder than a good downpour could produce.
04-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Now, move along and pick on someone else for a change of pace.
Sorry you feel you're being picked on. Not my intention at all. Your pictures, IMO were viewed as you were kidding.

That's what I was doing as well. Hense, the .

My point is if you have the money, and the need, and you've done your research, then go for it.

Get a grip will ya...

I'm kidding - Sorry, but couldn't resist. Have a good day. No hard feeling okay...

Last edited by glee46; 04-13-2011 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Spelling error
04-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get a grip will ya...

I'm kidding - Sorry, buy couldn't resist. Have a good day. No hard feeling okay...
No problem what so ever, carry on.