Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oops, straying from the op about the grips.

04-14-2011, 02:21 AM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
Fill the bathtub with water, dunk it a few times, then put it in the freezer for 2 days. Let me know how "handy" that turns out.
Fair suck of the sauce bottle man, get a grip on yourself! I can just see you doing this sort of idiotic thing; Do you have some sort of chip on your shoulder? Read my lips: WR = Weather Resistant, get it? No repeat after me, RESISTANT. Don't know what it means ? - GOOGLE for it !

Greetings
04-14-2011, 02:52 AM   #48
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
Fill the bathtub with water, dunk it a few times, then put it in the freezer for 2 days. Let me know how "handy" that turns out.
There is a tougher test here for you to look at, I am sure the K-5 will be equal to the task.

Greetings

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/94187-pentax-k10d-space-iii.html

Last edited by Schraubstock; 04-14-2011 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Forgot link
04-14-2011, 06:59 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Fair suck of the sauce bottle man, get a grip on yourself! I can just see you doing this sort of idiotic thing; Do you have some sort of chip on your shoulder? Read my lips: WR = Weather Resistant, get it? No repeat after me, RESISTANT. Don't know what it means ? - GOOGLE for it !

Greetings
Wow! Looks like someone got their "Driza-Bone" undies in a big wet wad.

Anyway, I guess out roping all those sheep with the Stockman can get a lot of dust in your eyes.

So, try and read the complete thread. That's my whole point about the grips, the camera's. They're only WR = Weather Resistant.

Read, Think, then post your comments. If you need to know what "Think" means, Well, GOOGLE IT!

You see, "Weather Resistant" is pretty vague. And, those who market products, (Battery Grips) use vague wording. Then, you throw in a few pictures & posts about a little water on it & it 'starts to look' like it's WP= Weather Proof.

This post is to point someone in the direction of a 3rd party grip. The pro's & con's of the Pentax & 3rd party grips.

WR was mentioned as a selling point in the Pentax grip. There are many posts pointing out the difference in feel, & how the buttons push, click, so on.

IMO, unless, one is a pro, & your going to be in situations where you need every bit of protection, (Even though it's very limited) then, sure go buy the Pentax Grip.

Okay, take a shot of your sauce, pickup your chip, & try not to make idiotic comments until you know the whole story.

So reread, research, then comment.

Have a great day..

04-14-2011, 07:26 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a tougher test here for you to look at, I am sure the K-5 will be equal to the task.

Greetings

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/94187-pentax-k10d-space-iii.html
There are products which can withstand weather conditions better then others. The flight is space with a K10 means nothing. It was a one time event. No pictures of how the K10 was mounted, or protected. NASA makes camera's which costs millions, and put them on Mars. And guess what? They stop working sooner or later.

And, he posted this:

"The lens is really fogging up now at about 4000ft. Below this there is so much condensation that you can't see anything. Note that the camera lens was really cold soaked from being up at altitude. The ride down only takes about a half an hour. After landing, the camera and lens are quite wet for some time.
"

You can train a monkey to push the button on a old Kodak camera and send him up in a balloon. Except for the IQ of the pictures, I'm pretty sure, the camera will survive the trip up & back. And the Kodak, more then likely will be able to take pictures after it drys out as well.

Grab a clear plastic sack & a rubber band. You're camera & battery grip will be closer to Weather Proof for the most part & you'll save yourself some cash.

If you can come up with a good definition of Weather Resistance & how it relates to a battery grip, then great. Add it here, let's kick it around & see how it stands.

These are not real world tests with complete information. Get all the facts. FACTS. I'll be happy to read the results.
04-14-2011, 07:55 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

Greetings

I did read where he stated the K10 was in a foam box. Foam is an insulator. The camera taking pictures products heat. Unless there's a gauge inside the box giving data, then there's not a scientist, or anyone with a brain who would think that this proves anything.

I noticed in the story where 4 teenagers did the same except they went 100,000 feet with a $80 Nikon digital camera. http://www.switched.com/2009/03/18/students-take-space-photos-with-simple-la...n-and-digi-ca/

I'm not trying to knock you mate. IMO, the facts are just not there that putting out the extra cash for WR ONLY is a reason to purchase the Pentax.

Last edited by glee46; 04-14-2011 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Added Link
04-14-2011, 09:52 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the OP got their answer

I think the OP got their answer. IMO, if someone wants to open another thread about WR gear, then I think it would serve the forum better there. I'd be more then happy to read & learn about all the latest facts, & data on the subject.

Who knows, I just might need a Driza-Bone jacket just in case my brain explodes with all the information.

Cheers

And, lets try to find some common ground. There's people all over this world, at this moment, dying & suffering.

Somehow talking about a WR Battery Grip seems a little trivial.
04-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #53
Veteran Member

I have a third party one. I have to say I do like it, especially for $50. Mine has the metal pins and looks exactly like the real deal structurally. The only negatives are:
-No weather sealing
-It's hard to tell if you are pushing the buttons when looking through the viewfinder (I use the AF button for focusing)
-The shutter button and switch feels cheap, light, and generally different than the main shutter
-The scroll wheels are thinner and skip register sometimes, also have less resistance
-Button screen printed labels are not as high quality

All in all, I feel that it was worth the money, and these shortcomings aren't anything terrible to deal with. My suggestion would be that if you are buying this to primarily shoot portrait, then get the real deal as you will be happy you did. But if you just want something to hold the extra battery, use AA's, balance a long lens, or just increase the ergonomics of the camera, then get the cheaper one (unless you need weather seal of course). This is not to say you can't shoot portrait with the cheap grip, it just won't feel as nice in your hands. For my purposes where I'm only doing portrait 1/3 of my shots, it's great, and definitely better than no grip at all. I got mine from Deal Extreme.

P.S. It should be noted that that retailer marks your package as a gift, thus circumventing tariff and trade taxes... I didn't realize this until a few months after I had the product, but it's something that surprised me and should be mentioned. They also take a LONG time to get the grip to you, so order a month in advance of when you need it if you have a deadline.

04-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #54
Veteran Member

I ordered the Amazon grip with two extra batteries. Should be here next week. I have the OEM grip for my K20, so I'll be able to compare (sort of).

BTW, the OEM K20 grip isn't flawless. The wheels sometimes get confused and just don't register at all. However, I still enjoy using it on occasion, especially with larger lenses. From what I read about the 3rd party grip for the K7/K5, it seems like it will meet my needs and save me about $170.
04-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #55
Veteran Member

I think the bottom line, for me at least, is how much are you going to use it? If you only use the grip occasionally and don't care about WR, then a third party is probably fine. If you use it so much that it becomes a part of the camera for you, as it has for me on the K5, then you should spend the extra dough and get the real deal. I've had both kinds now and there is a noticeable difference, but that difference will not be so important to everyone.
04-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #56

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I ordered the Amazon grip with two extra batteries. Should be here next week. I have the OEM grip for my K20, so I'll be able to compare (sort of).

BTW, the OEM K20 grip isn't flawless. The wheels sometimes get confused and just don't register at all. However, I still enjoy using it on occasion, especially with larger lenses. From what I read about the 3rd party grip for the K7/K5, it seems like it will meet my needs and save me about $170.
That's probably what I am going to buy, although I might end up using all of my leftover AAs instead. Can't beat $54 for the grip and 2 batteries shipped though.
04-20-2011, 02:31 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Got my grip today from Amazon and it looks fine to me. Has the tray for AA's, plus the tray for the LiON batteries. The two extra batteries are nice as well. I'll give it a go this evening, but for now it sure looks like a bargain.
04-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #58
Site Supporter

Got my grip today from Amazon and it looks fine to me. Has the tray for AA's, plus the tray for the LiON batteries. The two extra batteries are nice as well. I'll give it a go this evening, but for now it sure looks like a bargain.
Sounds like a good deal, keep us posted on how it works out.
04-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #59

Nice...the seller raised the price to $48.
04-28-2011, 08:06 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Okay, I've used the grip for a couple of shoots and I'm completely satisfied. The only thing I haven't tried is the AA tray. The only thing I wish it had was a notch for the wireless remote, but I don't think it would fit.

The only small niggles I have are (1) the plastic cap that covers the terminals won't stay on, and (2) it doesn't stay in the recessed area so I have to carefully put the camera onto the grip (as opposed to the other way) so the cap doesn't fall off. Of course, it's a plus that there's a storage point for the cap anyway. I was always worried about losing the one from my K20D.