Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
Forum Member

3rd party BG4 Battery Grips??

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Is there anyone using 3rd party (non-Pentax) BG4 battery grip? It looks like it's less than 1/4 of the price of Pentax.

$54.77 - External Battery Grip for Pentax K7 DSLR - Photo & Camera
New Vertical Battery Grip for Pentax K7 K-7 DSLR D-BG4 on eBay.ca (item 170566462245 end time 13-Apr-11 21:28:53 EDT)

Any comments???
Thanks,

04-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #2

I think there are at least 2 other threads talking about 3rd party grips, but I found one on Amazon for $41 shipped.
04-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ndy4eva Quote
Is there anyone using 3rd party (non-Pentax) BG4 battery grip? It looks like it's less than 1/4 of the price of Pentax.

$54.77 - External Battery Grip for Pentax K7 DSLR - Photo & Camera
New Vertical Battery Grip for Pentax K7 K-7 DSLR D-BG4 on eBay.ca (item 170566462245 end time 13-Apr-11 21:28:53 EDT)

Any comments???
Thanks,
There's more than one kind. The one's with the metal pins are better as they fasten more securely. They're really not bad. Not quite the build quality of the real thing, but pretty good for the price. Some claim weather-resistance, but I wouldn't test that.
04-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hawk1500 Quote
I think there are at least 2 other threads talking about 3rd party grips, but I found one on Amazon for $41 shipped.
I actually did a search but didn't find one.

04-12-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try "D-BG4" in search.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/82642-pentax-k7-3r...tery-grip.html
04-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ndy4eva Quote
I actually did a search but didn't find one.
Here ya go..

Amazon.com: Battery Grip for Pentax K-7 K7 D-SLR Digital Camera D-BG4 DBG4: Electronics

I was looking at them today myself. Did some research on them and the OEM to see if there was much difference. In the end. Not really. Last year, I got a 3rd party grip for my K20D and didn't feel like I was missing anything from the Pentax grip. I think the only real thing I would have been missing is extra cash in my pocket.
04-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
Did some research on them and the OEM to see if there was much difference. In the end. Not really.
Really.
Sorry but I am a WR guy.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 04-12-2011 at 06:25 PM.
04-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Yes I want to know about that too....

when you buy one let us know

how it worked for you ) thanks
04-12-2011, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Really.
Sorry but I am a WR guy.
Even while some of the 3rd party are labeled WR, I would not treat my K5 with a battery grip any different with the Pentax grip. At best, it is WR which is not much better then nothing at all if you're really out in the elements.

It's like waterproof breathable. Try it in the real world and see how dry you stay. I use to have REI & many outfitters try and convince me how great a product this was and how it would keep me dry.

Everyone has a budget and knows how they are going to use their gear. I've seen hikers with trash bags just as dry as those with $500 Waterproof Breathable.
Sure, the $500 looks better, feels better & might keep you a little drier a little longer. Most people, just don't shoot in weather which requires it.
04-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #10

I have a bunch of AA batteries left over from the K-x/K-r days, so I am thinking of getting that one from Amazon to use AA batteries with. *If* it's raining like crazy, I would probably just leave the grip in the bag.
04-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #11

Here ya go..

Amazon.com: Battery Grip for Pentax K-7 K7 D-SLR Digital Camera D-BG4 DBG4: Electronics

I was looking at them today myself. Did some research on them and the OEM to see if there was much difference. In the end. Not really. Last year, I got a 3rd party grip for my K20D and didn't feel like I was missing anything from the Pentax grip. I think the only real thing I would have been missing is extra cash in my pocket.
From the other two threads, seems to not click as well and probably not WR (and $160+ cheaper). You gonna buy one? I have had it in my cart for a couple of days, just waiting to pull the trigger...=)
04-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hawk1500 Quote
From the other two threads, seems to not click as well and probably not WR (and $160+ cheaper). You gonna buy one? I have had it in my cart for a couple of days, just waiting to pull the trigger...=)
I agree that it's not of the same quality as Pentax. I've even seen a few video's of the 3rd party as well.

I think most could write up a list of pros & con's on both.

The way I see it, if the weather is that bad, most people are at home and ain't going out in it anyway.

What the hell are they going to take a picture of anyway? Snow blowing..

I've hiked over 5,000 miles in some of the worst weather. Out in it, day after day & weeks without a let up in rain or snow. I did that straight for over 2 years.

I still have the camera I carried with me the whole time. There's not a weather seal on it & when the weather turns to crap, that's the one I take with me.
But only if there is something to take a picture of interest. And that usually only happens when it stops raining, snowing, or whatever and the sun comes out.

Oh, and no. I'm just going to buy a few extra batteries, and a large plastic bag.

Last edited by glee46; 04-12-2011 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Forgot to answer the question.
04-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't have a K-7, so I can't comment directly on the available grips for that camera. However, I have a K10D and the Travor brand third-party grip for my camera.

The Travor has all the same controls as the genuine Pentax D-BG2 grip. It has the three metal locating pins that fit into small holes in the bottom of my camera, to firmly hold it in proper orientation to the camera.

Weather resistance is not a big issue for me, so I don't worry about it. That said, from looking at it, I don't think it would leak much, unless you submerged the camera/grip (which is beyond even the genuine grip) or were caught, unprotected, in a torrential downpour.

In practice, I have found the Travor grip to perform perfectly. Except when I have forgotten that I had to turn on, not only the camera, but the grip, it has never failed me.

I don't know how it is with the third-party D-BG4 grips, but there are not only several brands of D-BG2 compatible grips, but some of them lack all the controls and only provide a shutter release. Be careful, it may be the same with the D-BG4 clones, as well.
04-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's like waterproof breathable. Try it in the real world and see how dry you stay. I use to have REI & many outfitters try and convince me how great a product this was and how it would keep me dry.
Try the legendary Australian "Driza-Bone" and you will come away with a different experience, I am sure.

Driza-Bone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mens Coats, Jackets, Shirts, Pants, Vests, Knits - Driza Bone

Greetings from sunny Melbourne
04-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Try the legendary Australian "Driza-Bone" and you will come away with a different experience, I am sure.

Driza-Bone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mens Coats, Jackets, Shirts, Pants, Vests, Knits - Driza Bone

Greetings from sunny Melbourne
They might keep ya dry on the outside if you're standing still scratching your butt. However, if you're heading up 6,000 ft mountain with 80lbs on your back, then you're going to sweat like a pig.

I had a Aussie Girl hike with me for a few months on the Appalachian Trail. When we hit New Hampshire & Mt Washington we had 90 mph winds, with snow & at times visibility of about 30 feet. She quit the 1st town that we came to after that. She returned to Sunny Melbourne.

I hated her for not taking me with her.

Last edited by glee46; 04-12-2011 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Spelling error