Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr_Canuck Quote
And with Minolta/Sony, you still don't have the beautiful, tiny limited pancake primes.
Indeed

04-13-2011, 09:57 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
go Riders?

Hmmm, I'm thinking you may want to check the WB on your pics to make sure there's no hint of green. My pics usually have a bit of lovely blue and gold hue. Quite like'em that way. Never did like the green much. . .
04-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gebco Quote
Hmmm, I'm thinking you may want to check the WB on your pics to make sure there's no hint of green. My pics usually have a bit of lovely blue and gold hue. Quite like'em that way. Never did like the green much. . .
You don't play the banjo, do you?
04-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #19

Don't much like the banjo either. . .and I'm allergic to watermelon.

Green vs Blue n' Gold, probably one of the most fun rivalries in sport.

04-13-2011, 11:27 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Here is another thought for and against FF and APS-C cameras. The crop factor of the smaller sensor cameras has some advantage in the telephoto department. As we all know the crop factor relates to the old film cameras which had a frame of 24x36mm and APS-C size captured images represent only a blown up center of this FF film or digital image. True, but there is a difference. The smaller APS-C sensor has its pixels concentrated into a smaller space. In a FF sensor when you crop you loose pixels.

When you take a 200mm lens stick it on a FF, say 24MP something camera, crop it to APS-C size you get approx. something like a 10MP image whereas the K-5 remains on 16.3MP. (I think/hope I have got this right, I stand corrected). If you blow up your pics for large format printing this can be a real advantage. Also for wildlife photography.

Conversely of course the APS-C is a disadvantage for wide angel shooters where the full framers have an advantage.

Greetings from sunny Melbourne

Last edited by Schraubstock; 04-14-2011 at 03:01 AM. Reason: missing word
04-13-2011, 11:55 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
A sobering read - and makes perfect sense when considering going out anywhere with photographic equipment.
The size of even the APCS Canon & Nikon cameras (at least the size they were 2-3 years ago - it might have changed) lead me first to an Olympus E510, and then to a K7.
04-14-2011, 04:58 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Size is a big deal. Someday there will probably be 35mm sensor cameras that are smaller than current DSLRs, but for right now, cameras like the D700 and 5D are really big. Add to that the fact that CAnon/Nikon/Sony have not felt it necessary to curb lens size at all and you have a camera that shoots beautifully for paid jobs, but that you wouldn't want to take with you on vacation.

I guess that is why a lot of professionals end up getting a second smaller camera (often EVIL) to take with them for private usage. Their "professional" gear may have better image quality, but it is too big to take with them for every day situations.

Give me a K7/K5 size body and a limited lens and I'll go anywhere...
04-14-2011, 05:19 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr_Canuck Quote
I understand that. But for someone who does a bit of everything with their camera from family events to travel to landscapes to creative to some paid gigs and particularly wanting portability and having it with me as much as possible compactness is important, among other things.
Yup!
I really did not know anything much about Pentax when I bought into it. My main criteria was small size. Pentax had it and I figured that if I got some decent lenses then it was mostly upto the photographer anyway as to the images.

No point in having a big camera if you frequently wonder whether you really want to lug a big thing around...THe 50-135 is a nice lens btw. I use it for my kids sports and performances. It is much smaller than a 70-200 and even with thismy hands sometimes get pretty tired at the end of a game. The 50-135 is probably the biggest lens I would even want to carry...

04-14-2011, 08:04 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
Yup!
THe 50-135 is a nice lens btw. I use it for my kids sports and performances. It is much smaller than a 70-200 and even with thismy hands sometimes get pretty tired at the end of a game. The 50-135 is probably the biggest lens I would even want to carry...
I agree. I thought about the 60-250/f4 (which is such a smart specification, and unique among manufacturers) and then I thought, how often am I going to want to lug that big thing around? (I know some are perfectly happy to that) But I'll try and get along with the 135 as my long end as long as I can.
04-14-2011, 08:45 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Before the K5 got "straightened out" a lot of my ranting was due to not wanting to go FF with a D700, but considered it as the only logical option. I looked to it with dread, not enthusiasm....who wants a big bulky camera, not to mention the loss of SR and the crop factor that gets me those close Squirrel shots. There are a ton of other features exclusive to Pentax that are also much to be desired, and put it all together and a D700 would have been a step backwards for me.
So now that I have a perfectly operating K5....how do I feel about it? Well, there is not the time or space here to tell you how wonderful this camera is! If I sat around daydreaming of the perfect camera, which I have often done, it wouldn't be as fine as my K5. On top of that....Squirrels love it too!

If anyone can't be well satisfied with the K5, they need to give up photography and take up knitting or golf, they will never be a satisfied photographer.

Best Regards!& Happy shooting!
04-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Welcome and enjoy your new camera/lenses
04-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have one of those Wheatfield, but I have a nice Bag Lady to carry my gear. She beats out your fine Doggie in some respects, but then again, your Doggie probably doesn't use your credit cards at every opportunity?
Best Regards
[IMG] [/IMG]
04-15-2011, 05:50 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Hey panoguy.. I was born in Chicago.. Cook County Hospital..
You're lucky you even got out!

As far as where you grew up and the NFL; Browns/ Bears/ Bills (!) it's all relative. Could be worse - could be from Wisconsin!
04-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
The size of even the APCS Canon & Nikon cameras (at least the size they were 2-3 years ago - it might have changed) lead me first to an Olympus E510, and then to a K7.
The Canon 7D (APS-C) is almost as large as some of their FF cameras. Pentax is really showing the way with compact, well built bodies and lenses. They may be a niche brand, but they are starting to get some attention from users of the Big Two who are getting tired of lugging all that FF gear, especially when the IQ is now only slightly better, if at all.

Rob
04-15-2011, 09:40 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
The Canon 7D (APS-C) is almost as large as some of their FF cameras. Pentax is really showing the way with compact, well built bodies and lenses. They may be a niche brand, but they are starting to get some attention from users of the Big Two who are getting tired of lugging all that FF gear, especially when the IQ is now only slightly better, if at all.

Rob
The 7D is absolutely massive!

i'd be curious to see how big a Pentax FF would be Could potentially pave the way for a whole new generation of FF camera's from all brands on a massive diet