Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Great read,

I too did a small FF transition earlier this year. TBH. I did it purely for the low light performance, however... contrary to popular belief, I didn't find the DOF advantage to be as significant as I would have hoped. Or at least, not as significant as the FOV differences.

Either way, I've come to prefer the size and costs of running APS-C kits over that of FF. And with the new K-5 performance, I can actually say I actually haven't missed any of the FF advantages to date.

So in short, the K-5 is everything I hoped for and a little more.
Which is why were m going to pick-up our second K-5 tomorrow to complete our working kit.

04-16-2011, 12:02 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
What I don't like about it is the size, I don't carry it far, but I do have a personal Sherpa who is more than willing to carry it for me.
I guess the risk of getting your stuff stolen is also pretty much eliminated...
04-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice to hear the OP about FF experience and returning to APS-C. I am sure there is still a lot of would be FF owners wanting to get the D700 or the 5D2 or whatever the latest model coming up. I often wonder how I can manage to use f1.4 on a full frame with such shallow DOF without using a tripod. I agree with the others that the weight is a major concern especially when travelling. And I am glad the k-7 and k-5 were designed with that in mind and the WR feature was desirable as well.
04-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
You're lucky you even got out!

As far as where you grew up and the NFL; Browns/ Bears/ Bills (!) it's all relative. Could be worse - could be from Wisconsin!
Hold on a minute! We (meaning someone actually in charge) were smart enough to let Brett Favre leave prior to the worst of his team-damaging self-focus and then his personal and professional implosion. And that let a pretty fair young QB onto the field.

Followed by a Super Bowl win. With said young QB as MVP.

You mean that Wisconsin?

04-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I loved reading this post. One of the things that I sometimes hear some snobbery from other wedding photographers who have their giant FF bodies and glass. They don't understand how or why I shoot Pentax because it is a crop sensor.

I have played around with my friend's D700 and I am not certain that I would even want a FF camera. I like the extra zoom range that I get with the crop. I have some sweet wide lenses (12-24 and the 10-17 fisheye) and because of those I really don't feel like I am missing anything on the wide end. My camera is compact, weather sealed, and a joy to haul around all day. Image quality and low light - I haven't seen a problem especially with the K5. Oh, and my lenses - they are a fraction of the cost and include some sweet vintage glass.
04-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #36
A-z
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
There are advantages and disadvantages.
He really likes to swim, for example.
Haha!
04-16-2011, 09:22 PM   #37
Site Supporter

Welcome to the crew. Based on your lens suggestions, I suggest you also look at the FA 31, DA* 55, and possibly the FA* 85/1.4 or the Sigma 85/1.4.

Welcome to the forums, LBA, and APS-C

Last edited by Clinton; 04-17-2011 at 07:20 AM.
04-16-2011, 11:22 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
all that FF gear, especially when the IQ is now only slightly better, if at all.
current FF sensors are 2-3 years old now... that's it... it is like compare IQ of Nikon D3s w/ Pentax K10D

04-17-2011, 01:36 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
One of the things that I sometimes hear some snobbery from other wedding photographers who have their giant FF bodies and glass. They don't understand how or why I shoot Pentax because it is a crop sensor.
And the inverse snobbery of not understanding why a Pentax crop sensor isn't the best choice for all work...

Why should we care what a wedding photographer (or any other kind of photographer) thinks unless one wants to be one?
04-18-2011, 03:35 AM   #40
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
current FF sensors are 2-3 years old now... that's it... it is like compare IQ of Nikon D3s w/ Pentax K10D
I keep hearing this statement, but who is going to make these sensors, particularly if Sony is getting out of the full frame sensor making business and focus on APS-C?
04-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I keep hearing this statement, but who is going to make these sensors, particularly if Sony is getting out of the full frame sensor making business and focus on APS-C?
Sony may have patents on their technology, but other sensor designers have their own. History shows that technology is like a game of leapfrog, and we can be sure that others will equal or surpass whatever is being produced today. But as has been mentioned, at some point, the quality of APS-C gets so good that any advantage that FF might retain becomes meaningful only to a shrinking minority of high end users.

The camera market shows a definite trend in favor of smaller cameras over larger ones. Witness the growing popularity of mirrorless cameras. I fully expect that trend to continue.

Rob
04-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #42

I have been a film SLR user since 1964 and finally adopted DSLR 3 years ago. My first camera was the Canon APS-C 40D. I did not like AF lenses because of their weight and size, so I began using back some of my old manual lenses. I discovered that Canon provided this beautiful super precision matte focusing screen for mf lenses and it was a joy to use. Then I switched to the Canon 5D FF and it was one of the best FF camera out there for manual focusing lenses. Huge view finder, super precision matte screen, VF magnifier, ideal for what I was doing. But I hate the Canon color, especially when I had to use Canon lenses. Finally, 2 months ago I switched to K5 plus 31f1.8 Ltd and A 50f1.4 and my old K 135f2.5 which I was using on my Canon system. I really enjoy the K5 superb handling and color rendition but am very disappointed at the K5 focusing screen. I don't like using live view, and split focusing screen because it's just too damn slow. No one system can fit all.
04-19-2011, 06:11 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anthony Lee Quote
I don't like using live view, and split focusing screen because it's just too damn slow.
Not sure how a split image focusing screen is too slow!
04-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anthony Lee Quote
I have been a film SLR user since 1964 and finally adopted DSLR 3 years ago. My first camera was the Canon APS-C 40D. I did not like AF lenses because of their weight and size, so I began using back some of my old manual lenses. I discovered that Canon provided this beautiful super precision matte focusing screen for mf lenses and it was a joy to use. Then I switched to the Canon 5D FF and it was one of the best FF camera out there for manual focusing lenses. Huge view finder, super precision matte screen, VF magnifier, ideal for what I was doing. But I hate the Canon color, especially when I had to use Canon lenses. Finally, 2 months ago I switched to K5 plus 31f1.8 Ltd and A 50f1.4 and my old K 135f2.5 which I was using on my Canon system. I really enjoy the K5 superb handling and color rendition but am very disappointed at the K5 focusing screen. I don't like using live view, and split focusing screen because it's just too damn slow. No one system can fit all.
Don't know if you've tried it yet, but a Katzeye with Optibrite is going to be the brightest or "fastest" split screen on the market.
04-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If you're looking for macro.. the Tamron90 macro is an amazing lens. it's not WR but apart from that it's everything the 100 macro is and more. I lucked out and got mine second hand for a quarter of what the 100 WR would have cost me. Now I just have to get it away from my wife.
My wife is also trying to appropriate my Tamron 90:

I too am a fan of my Tamron 90 Macro, and the Tamron 70-200/2.8 Macro, and use both a lot on my K-5, so I essentially confine myself to my Ltds (DA21, DA40, & FA43) and those Tamron lenses. In addition to that I sometimes borrow my wife's DA15, FA50, FA77, or her DA50-135.

Lenses that usually stay in the cupboard are my Tamron 10-24 (nice lens, but huge, uses 77mm filter thread!), Sigma 120-400 (also 77mm filter thread - needs really good sunlight to perform) and a Leitz 50mm, 39mm mount, an enlarger lens, excellent for macro.

Back to the Tamron 90 - which I think is a better choice than Pentax 100WR (or the brand new Sigma 85, which also uses 77 mm filters), as the 90 is very light, sharp as a needle, and compact (not as fast as the other two, though).

Anyway, my wife also has a K-5, plus a Olympus E-PL1, to which I gave her a Novoflex K Mount adapter, so now she can use Pentax lenses on that one as well - only those with an aperature ring works really well, of course. And, not really surprising, the Tamron 90 is amazing on the E-PL1, and so are the FA Ltds we have tried - so now we too are battling over the Tamron 90!

While using a reversal ring I noticed that the FA77 focuses approximately at infinity no matter how you turn the focusing ring! Evidently the lens group sits in the outer end of the lens, so that's why focusing doesn't work with the lesn reversed!