Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-20-2011, 12:40 AM   #46
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr_Canuck Quote
I've always liked Pentax. They have a similar ethos to Minolta with in-camera stabilization, their "natural" approach to jpg processing, and some special lenses.
Hi Canuck, I've been shooting Pentax and Minolta for years. I shoot digital with Pentax, and film with Minolta. I still have my old XG-M and some rokkor monsters.

For your information, I read somewhere about the history of Pentax, and I found out that actually Pentax made the optics for Minolta and Konica since the 50's. So I think we've got the answer about the similarity in philosophy among them.

04-21-2011, 07:19 AM   #47

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Wheatfield; I like my 60-250, but it is rather a horse of a lens. More or less as big as a 70-200/2.8, a little more reach at either end, and a stop slower. What I don't like about it is the size, I don't carry it far, but I do have a personal Sherpa who is more than willing to carry it for me.
Nice shot, sure looks like a happy boy!

I lost my guy about a month ago.... not a day goes by w/o him in my mind....

-Matt
04-21-2011, 08:26 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rottie*Lover Quote
Nice shot, sure looks like a happy boy!

I lost my guy about a month ago.... not a day goes by w/o him in my mind....

-Matt
So sorry to hear that, Matt. I come in contact with a lot of dogs in my daily life and can attest that Rottie's are an easy breed to love. I hope you are considering getting a new companion as soon as you feel the time is right. That's the best medicine I know of to heal the pain a passing causes, and a fitting tribute to how important he was to you.:ugh:
04-21-2011, 03:41 PM   #49

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone. RE not getting a Sony a55, I didn't like the EVF finder. I like having an optical finder with a live-view LCD. And with Minolta/Sony, you still don't have the beautiful, tiny limited pancake primes.
Nikon and Canon too. The DA Limiteds are what swung me to Pentax when I finally gave up film. FF is not for everyone.

04-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #50

But it's a big beast of a thing for an enthusiast/generalist like me. When I'd hand it to my wife to take a shot (she's pretty good) she'd buckle under the brick in her hand. And it caused me sometimes to hesitate just taking it along.
This is a very good point and something I've always laughed about when my friends, with their cool Canon L glass, talk about the "convenience" of their 2lb+ zooms over my primes. I wouldn't see any of this "convenience" if I took the damn thing mountain-hiking with me, I'd probably smash it to pieces on my way back just to get rid of some load.