Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Not exactly on the same topic, but close enough.......Has anyone else noticed how much easier processing of Raw files is with the K5? There is just so much more room to maneuver and the end result you are looking for seems much faster and easier to obtain than my prior K20D or K10D.
When I have processed some of my model shots, they seem to flow like never before. Maybe I am dreaming...but I don't think so.
Regards!
I've noticed that as well - quite a difference, a real pleasure to process. I assumed it had something to do with the DR capabilities of the sensor, but not sure how that works out.

04-15-2011, 10:20 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not exactly on the same topic, but close enough.......Has anyone else noticed how much easier processing of Raw files is with the K5? There is just so much more room to maneuver and the end result you are looking for seems much faster and easier to obtain than my prior K20D or K10D.
When I have processed some of my model shots, they seem to flow like never before. Maybe I am dreaming...but I don't think so.
Regards!
Absolutely. I think it has to do with the fact that you can do almost anything to them and they don't break up. I shot side-by-side with my K20D and K-5, and while the K20D still produces beautiful images, the K-5 produces *deep* ones. By "deep" I mean you can move the sliders farther in any direction before things "block up". This could be partly because (if memory serves) the K20D had 12bit pixel planes and the K-5 has 14 bit ones, but I'm not certain...
04-16-2011, 08:46 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Regards!
Nope not dreaming. the K-5 produces 14bit images insterad of 12, which quadruples the definition of each pixel, or 12 dB more dynamic range. This is why vastly under exposed images can be recovered to a quality that was impossible with previous models.
04-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #34

Yes it is soft..

Guys , I just took my new K5 out and shot some pics of my wife...the pics are def softer...smudged and high NR visible...eventhough I turned NR off. What am I missing here????

Im not talking here about the exposure or the shadows etc..its the apparent 'soft' image thats killing me....

Attached Images

04-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sagiboy Quote
Guys , I just took my new K5 out and shot some pics of my wife...the pics are def softer...smudged and high NR visible...eventhough I turned NR off. What am I missing here????

Im not talking here about the exposure or the shadows etc..its the apparent 'soft' image thats killing me....
You shooting in jpg? I don't ever shoot jpg, but I've heard that none of the major manufacturers allow you to completely disable NR with jpgs. It's hard to see what's going on from a downsized JPG, though. Perhaps you can show us a piece of a screen cap of a piece of the image (say, the collar of the tee shirt where we can see the ribs in the material, or any other place that's sharpest focus) so we can understand what you're talking about.
04-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #36

Some success...

I tried shooting RAW and the pics appeared less saturated and sharper...thats without any change in the parameters. I shoot at the "bright' settings without changing any other value.

I tried shooting RAW to save time.
Attached Images

04-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #37
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried shooting RAW and the pics appeared less saturated and sharper
Thats because they are less saturated and less sharp. The "Bright" jpeg setting has in-camera adjustments applied, and the RAW is just that .... raw, with no adjustments. I also like the "Bright" look, so I apply PP adjustments (using Aperture 3.1) with subtle increases in Contrast, Definition, Saturation and Sharpness. That produces almost identical appearance to the jpeg "Bright", but with all the advantages of RAW dynamic range.
04-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I tried shooting RAW and the pics appeared less saturated and sharper...thats without any change in the parameters. I shoot at the "bright' settings without changing any other value.

I tried shooting RAW to save time.
That sounds like your explanation right there. If you're using "bright" and shooting JPG, you cannot completely disable noise reduction, and the camera is boosting the saturation. Your RAW images are sharper because you are shutting off noise reduction *for real* there. DXO said there might be some going on based on their numbers, but there was certainly no visible NR in the K-5 raw trials.

04-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #39

Shooting RAW is the key

Thanks for the advice guys...RAW made all the difference. This pic was changed to JPEG for posting...!!!
Attached Images

04-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Thanks for the advice guys...RAW made all the difference. This pic was changed to JPEG for posting...!!!
Glad you got it sorted down. The K-5 is such a phenomenal camera. Shooting raw offers SO much latitude with it. Enjoy!
04-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
First few shots

Took some time this weekend to give the k-5 / sigma 85mm 1.4 a thorough workout, get some experience for what the camera does in different lighting. Particularly with bright light and dynamic lighting situations (light/dark areas on face, other scenarios you see in accompanying pics). So far, the sigma 85 1.4 seems a bit less confident/sure in locking focus on smaller, difficult areas. I spose it could be the camera or both, but the sigma 85 with the k-x, it seemed grabbing focus was quite a bit easier in low and ample light. But the 85 on the k-5 focuses well enough for me so far. With the 7fps and autofocus continuous, I've gotten plenty of perfect shots and keepers. Even when something is relatively out of focus, many times the picture still looks beautiful. Definitely the k-5 raws have a different look. Colors seem more natural and i've found myself adjusting color and white balance much, much less. The sigma front focuses quite a bit for portraiture without ideal light, but I must say, the depth and richness of a photo makes up for this in most situations, as long as the focus isn't too front focused. Rendering so beautiful that some things can be forgiven. And of course, pushing photos when necessary in pp (which I haven't had to do) is so forgiving with this sensor. Aaah. A new relationship slowly becoming a very nice thing. I've had many raw photos come out absolutely perfect and in need of no adjustments whatsoever with this camera, other than converting. These were shot between 1.6 and 2.0.

Last edited by outsider; 04-17-2011 at 08:31 PM.
04-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #42

outsider, your images no longer "seem slightly soft" to me.

those are pretty amazing images and it seems you are a lot happier with your K5 now that you have come to some sort of understanding hehe.
04-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HEEGZ Quote
outsider, your images no longer "seem slightly soft" to me.

those are pretty amazing images and it seems you are a lot happier with your K5 now that you have come to some sort of understanding hehe.
Yes Sir. Thank You! I think the k-5 is a bit softer in the area of focus than the k-x in low light. But I took some time and just assumed that the pentax gurus knew what they were doing. I made a couple changes in camera. 1. Took ISO down to 80. (still getting plenty fast shutter, even hit the 1/8000 mark a couple times the day these were taken) 2. Turned off shadow reduction and highlight boost thingy. I use adobe cs4, so I don't think these would make a differnce anyway. Finally went out on a sunny day to see how this machine renders in bright light. Pictures still have a different "look" then the k-x when blown up, but it doesn't look as near as "bad" as low light. Not really bad at all. But honestly, the rendering of this little monster is so good........I don't really want to pixel peep anymore. I'm too busy admiring the whole thing Maybe I was pixel peeping with the k-x to "psyche" myself into thinking that I had a better camera than I actually did. Eh, who knows. I do love the k-x though.
04-17-2011, 09:09 PM   #44

Your last set of images has me contemplating a return to shooting in RAW. I don't really have the time required to process images, so that's the main reason I went back to shooting JPEGs at 10MP and **** with my K-7. Shooting RAW seemed to double or triple the amount of time I spent on PP and just doesn't seem worth it. Granted I am shooting mostly family shots or spur of the moment images, so I trade some image quality for my time. I'm thinking about trying some RAW ISO 5000 and 6400 images just to see how bad/good they are. Also, your close up portraits have me contemplating dusting off my M 50mm f1.7 which I rarely use for people. I have yet to develop a knack for manual focus, especially with two young kids.
04-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by outsider Quote
shot between 1.6 and 2.0
Makes me wonder if you missed focus a bit in your "soft" shots.
The DOF is fairly narrow at those apertures. You can see it in the photos you posted...when stuff is in focus, it's pretty damned sharp. The areas that aren't are blurred out as expected.

If you want more in focus, shoot at f/5.6 or f/8, but those images look plenty sharp to me...