Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2011, 07:50 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
The bigger sensor uses longer focusing length lenses for the similar FOV, i.e. lenses having greater magnifying factor (usually ≥ 1.5). It means they provide overall better (up to these ≥ 1.5 times) resolution.
Of course, if pixel-pitch remains the same, your statement is absolutely true.

This is not true if the lens out-resolves the sensor.

And, historically, telephotos become less sharp as the focal length increases (for the same design rigor and engineering costs). As most lenses > 85mm (on FF) are telephoto designs, I don't think your blanket statement can be taken at face value, but as a guideline preceded by "If everything else remains equal".

04-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Concerning tethering :

Supprisingly, the solution might not come from Pentax, but from Pentaxian

Let me introduce you, ladys and gentlemen, mister Tomasz Kos. He produce a Tethering program for k-x, K7, K5, k-r, K20D, K10D, K200.
I tried it, and he's good, always improving it.

PK_Tether | Tethering and remote control software for Pentax DSLR cameras

Give a try
*Sigh*. No Mac version. I suppose I'll have to test it in Virtualbox
04-20-2011, 09:19 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Be honest man, we arrived at a point where more iso are not needed. I mean, i have a k-x, i do some sport shooting (Climbing and bouldering) and i shoot sometime up to 3200 iso during sunset, and thus i can take some 1/250 -1/500 f4 shots. And i know that the K-r and K5 can do a little better in high Iso ...

Why need more iso than that ? And don't tell me that 51 200 iso can be usefull

You simply are describing a specific situation where you don't need anything higher than ISO 3200, and then concluding from that that no-one should ever need anything higher?

For the life of me, I can't understand why it's so hard to grasp this concept:

1) Acceptable extreme ISO performance means very good high-ISO performance and exceptional mid-ISO performance. For example, if sensor tech results in clean ISO 102,000 with no NR, that means ISO 12,800 is going to be exceptionally clean, smooth, tonal transitions beautiful with no chroma problems. With no detail-destroying NR.

2) #1 means we then have acceptable shutter speeds available to us in many more situations than we had before. Subject-movement blur becomes a non-issue. Camera shake becomes less of an issue at any EV value, because you can confidently increase ISO to allow higher shutter speeds without worrying about IQ deradation.

If you can't imagine situations where this would be valuable... I'd have to say it's a failure of imagination.

Last edited by jsherman999; 04-20-2011 at 09:29 AM.
04-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What we might be missing.......

We always want "better", it is our nature and why we seek, and often get...."better" things in life. However, at least for the moment, I am finding almost complete satisfaction in my K5, and before I have to move on and "want better" I intend to enjoy this fantastic camera. Even a pound of pure gold can be better...it could be two pounds instead.....but for now I am well satisfied and am betting I am no where near alone.

For me, shooting wildlife means I now have the ability to bump the ISO and gain some valuable speed...as I did here this morning...

F6.7 @ 500mm hand held ISO 3200 1/125 No NR

As for the IQ of higher ISO shots...if you get a Pulitzer Prize worthy shot at 51,200 and the guy next to you gets nothing , about how useful will his shot be? It is not always about the noise, resolution, or clarity, is it? But....no shot at all is still no shot at all.....I'll take what I get and be proud I got it!

Best Regards- Go out and shoot with the K5, today will never come again, but this rambling about what is "best" will go on forever, and if you come back in a year, you won't have missed a damn thing!
Best Regards!

04-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

<snip>

Best Regards- Go out and shoot with the K5, today will never come again, but this rambling about what is "best" will go on forever, and if you come back in a year, you won't have missed a damn thing!
Best Regards!
I'm with you, Rupert!
04-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Tech moves the standard - thankfully for all of us

By no means am I suggesting you shouldn't be happy with your K-5, Rupert, especially when it comes to ISO performance - it represents the state of the art in aps-c.

What I'm objecting to is the meme: "I'm personally satisfied with the way my camera performs at ISO X in situation Y, thus anyone who would claim to have use for even better performance is stupid."

Take your shot, for example - 1/125s (at 500mm!), ISO 3200

How would you like to be able to take the same shot at 1/500s, with the equivalent noise of (current) ISO 400? That represents a 5-stop improvement in ISO. Naysayers say that only science-fiction scenarios would ever require a 5-stop improvement over current tech - and right there, in your example, it simply means appropriate shutter speed for the FL, and nice, ISO-400-like noise performance. Hardly a sci-fi scenario at all.

"ISO-is-good-enough-for-all-time-now" discussions always remind me of a comment I saw on a dial-up bulliten board in 1991 (I think) - "Anyone who needs a hard drive bigger than 40MB doesn't know how to manage their files."

04-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

"ISO-is-good-enough-for-all-time-now" discussions always remind me of a comment I saw on a dial-up bulliten board in 1991 (I think) - "Anyone who needs a hard drive bigger than 40MB doesn't know how to manage their files."

I didn't get the vibe Rupert was saying that, so much as he was saying "Yes, Yes, that's all very interesting, but we have good cameras *now* - go take some PICTURES, for pete's sake!"
04-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
I didn't get the vibe Rupert was saying that, so much as he was saying "Yes, Yes, that's all very interesting, but we have good cameras *now* - go take some PICTURES, for pete's sake!"
One can multitask. And I doubt much of anything could ever keep Rupert from taking pictures. (Or me, for that matter.)

(anyway I was originally responding to aurele, who did seem to be vibing such things.)

04-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Not in Europe, where they are a match, at around 1000...
Not here either. D7000 is $1450 on Amazon (body only), and K5 is $1350, body only.
04-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
*Sigh*. No Mac version. I suppose I'll have to test it in Virtualbox
He's working on it. And he don't get it, and don't know exactly why.

You simply are describing a specific situation where you don't need anything higher than ISO 3200, and then concluding from that that no-one should ever need anything higher?

For the life of me, I can't understand why it's so hard to grasp this concept:

1) Acceptable extreme ISO performance means very good high-ISO performance and exceptional mid-ISO performance. For example, if sensor tech results in clean ISO 102,000 with no NR, that means ISO 12,800 is going to be exceptionally clean, smooth, tonal transitions beautiful with no chroma problems. With no detail-destroying NR.

2) #1 means we then have acceptable shutter speeds available to us in many more situations than we had before. Subject-movement blur becomes a non-issue. Camera shake becomes less of an issue at any EV value, because you can confidently increase ISO to allow higher shutter speeds without worrying about IQ deradation.
Ok, you get the point. I never take photo with a bigger than a 200mm lense (maybe because i don't own one )

If you can't imagine situations where this would be valuable... I'd have to say it's a failure of imagination.
Nop, just a lack of experience ... and big lenses :P

.if you get a Pulitzer Prize worthy shot at 51,200 and the guy next to you gets nothing , about how useful will his shot be?
Come on, who needs a Pulitzer ? it's only another cup that will take the dust
04-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

To clarify...if needed....I am all for progress and think it is amazing to have come from the DS to the K5 in a few short years. No doubt the next five years will be equally amazing, and I will enjoy what comes along from Pentax, as I have in the past models. I've learned to shoot around the weak points, take advantage of the best points, and most of all to shoot often and enjoy what I have. I bet I am not alone on this approach either? It has not been often that we have been in the "Drivers Seat" with our cameras, but I feel that with the K5, we are at present, it is a wonderful camera....in case anyone wondered what I thought?

Best Regards!
04-20-2011, 03:57 PM   #42
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
Hummm. I didn't know Pentax made any big primes.. I don't even own a pentax lens?
And the D-7000, k-5, etc are surely not pro line cameras by a loooong shot.
DA*300 is a big prime in anyone's book.

The Nikon D90 was long advertised as a "pro" line camera that could reach down to the prosumer market. The D7000 is its replacement. I know pros who have D90's as their APS-C cameras in additions to their FF's.

As for FF looking better,some of that has to do with certain lenses, like the Nikon 14-24, and both Nikon's and Canon's 24-70's, glass without peer. With pros and high-end prosumers willing to spend on those animals, they obviate primes and simply deliver for price and weight.

I hate squirrels
04-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Off-topic:

Squirrels are deadly!!!
BBC NEWS | Europe | Russian squirrel pack 'kills dog'
04-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
It's that damn Otis and his Worldwide Army of Squirrels.......he claims they will "reclaim the earth" in 2012 as Squirrel Prophecy predicts. I used to laugh....but maybe I should be more concerned?
Best Regards!
04-21-2011, 12:23 AM   #45
Site Supporter

We always want "better", it is our nature and why we seek, and often get...."better" things in life. However, at least for the moment, I am finding almost complete satisfaction in my K5, and before I have to move on and "want better" I intend to enjoy this fantastic camera. Even a pound of pure gold can be better...it could be two pounds instead.....but for now I am well satisfied and am betting I am no where near alone.

For me, shooting wildlife means I now have the ability to bump the ISO and gain some valuable speed...as I did here this morning...

F6.7 @ 500mm hand held ISO 3200 1/125 No NR

As for the IQ of higher ISO shots...if you get a Pulitzer Prize worthy shot at 51,200 and the guy next to you gets nothing , about how useful will his shot be? It is not always about the noise, resolution, or clarity, is it? But....no shot at all is still no shot at all.....I'll take what I get and be proud I got it!

Best Regards!
Rupert I couldn't have said it better myself. (but I still think your very nice Squirrel shots have a yellow/green cast, sorry )

Greetings from sunny Melbourne