Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Stain or Dust?

I've just noticed a persistent blotch in the images my new K-5, which is ruining my happiness . So far it hasn't yielded to any of the easy and obvious dust removal tricks.

It should be visible in the attached just above and a little to the right of the center of the attached.

I remember there was a good deal of discussion of how to tell whether one had a stained sensor or the problem was dust, but I can't now find it. I'd be grateful if someone could direct me to the thread(s) that will help me.

Many thanks,

JVA

Attached Images

04-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I`m no expert on stains or dust but I`ve seen blobs like this on my K10 and turns out it`s dust.Sometimes it may take a second or third going with a dust blower or whatever you use to get rid of it.My camera goes everywhere with me and I`m constantly changing lenses so dust seems to be a constant problem.I try to hold the camera body face down when I change lenses.
04-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looks like dust.
04-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
Pentaxian

100% dust

04-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, guys! A closer look reveals, i think, a speck corresponding to the blotch in dust alert. That is in a way reassuring, but though I've redoubled my efforts with an--admittedly rather feeble blower--I can't seem to make any impression on it. So I shall have to adopt stronger measures or seek professional assistance. How very annoying!
04-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
And a check of some older shots shows that it's been there for a while now, perhaps from the beginning
04-16-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The best blower is Giottos Rocket blower, the large model. Works for me - with my K-7 and K-5 it has been sufficient so far. My *istD on the other hand needs wet cleaning form time to time.

Giottos Rocket Air Blower - (Large) 7.5" AA1900 B&H Photo
04-16-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is most certainly dust. The blower won't remove it as some dust is of such "chemical/biological" makeup that when it is left on the sensor and has a chance to react with condensation and/or humidity will kind of "weld" itself on to the glass filter surface of the sensor. A blower just won't remove it. In extreme cases it can only be removed with a wet clean. I use PENTAx's own dust removal tool. (GOOGLE for it).

May I be so humble and point you to a post of mine dealing with this matter:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/138380-should-have-left-alone.html post N.9

There are other posts here on this forum to do with sensor cleaning.

I use this PENTAX tool only and never had a case where I could not remove any dust, but this is (I thing) because I do not let dust linger. I certainly do not like blowers as it will (sometimes) remove dust from the sensor only to deposit it somewhere else inside the camera and sooner or later it will be back. (Just my opinion based on my 50 years in photography and ten of those in the digital world)

Greetings from sunny Melbourne

04-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
May I be so humble and point you to a post of mine dealing with this matter:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/138380-should-have-left-alone.html post N.9

Many thanks, Schraubstock! This and the post to which you directed me are very helpful. I've reviewed some past shots and, to my chagrin, it looks as if my dust has a had a week or two to 'bond' with the sensor. (With years of experience as an audiophile devoted to LPs, I can say that dust and its evil come as no surprise to me.) Now of course I can't think about anything else. Hope to solve the problem one way or another soon.

Greetings from rainy Pittsburgh