Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Travel Kit...

Hey Everyone...

I'm going to be buying a K5 very soon (and hoping there are still some silvers left by the time my tax money gets here - LOL!)...

Here's my question...

I used to own an e620 + zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8 lens as my common dSLR travel kit. It's been a while since I've owned it, but it was comfortable for me to carry and a good size for me. Most of the time I didn't find it too bulky, or too heavy.

I had a K-x and paired it often with 40 and 70 pancake limiteds (I still have those lenses). LOVE the combo as a small and light kit. Primes are usually my preference.

However, I want weather-sealed. I originally thought I'd get the K-5 + 55mm f/1.4 DA* as a good weather-sealed kit, but I think on the 1.5x body the 55mm is going to be too long for me. I use 50mm on a 1.3x body sometimes, and even that is often just a little too long for my uses. 65mm vs 82mm FOV is a pretty big difference.

So I'm considering the K-5 + 16-50mm DA*
Compared to the the Oly kit I used to often use, it will be .65 lbs heavier. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but from a practical standpoint, do you think I'll feel the difference between 2.00 lbs and 2.65 pounds?

I'm planning a cross-country trip this summer, and it's the kit I'd like to take... I think it could serve most purposes for me...

Thoughts?

04-16-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
from a practical standpoint, do you think I'll feel the difference between 2.00 lbs and 2.65 pounds?
Nope, I don't.
04-16-2011, 11:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That 16-50 is not a small lens and I personally would hesitate to take it on a hike that had traveling light as an objective. This is the exact reason I bought a DA35 and DA70.

You may find the weight okay, but the length and girth might make it awkward for you to travel with. You'll also stick out a lot more, so if being discreet is important
04-17-2011, 02:57 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
I used to own an e620 + zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8 lens as my common dSLR travel kit. It's been a while since I've owned it, but it was comfortable for me to carry and a good size for me. Most of the time I didn't find it too bulky, or too heavy.

I had a K-x and paired it often with 40 and 70 pancake limiteds (I still have those lenses). LOVE the combo as a small and light kit. Primes are usually my preference.

However, I want weather-sealed. I originally thought I'd get the K-5 + 55mm f/1.4 DA* as a good weather-sealed kit, but I think on the 1.5x body the 55mm is going to be too long for me. I use 50mm on a 1.3x body sometimes, and even that is often just a little too long for my uses. 65mm vs 82mm FOV is a pretty big difference.

So I'm considering the K-5 + 16-50mm DA*
Compared to the the Oly kit I used to often use, it will be .65 lbs heavier. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but from a practical standpoint, do you think I'll feel the difference between 2.00 lbs and 2.65 pounds?

I'm planning a cross-country trip this summer, and it's the kit I'd like to take... I think it could serve most purposes for me...

Thoughts?
I know this may be panned after the photozone report but I think the best hiking K-5 combo is the 18-135mm. It's weather-resistance, very good coverage, relatively compact and light weight. The only con is the price (or unless you are trying to sell your cross-country trip photos).

04-17-2011, 05:39 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
I use the kit 18-55mm WR to function as my weather sealed kit with my K7 and the performance is good in most situations. There are rumors of a 12-35mm WR lens coming out later this year, so this setup might hold you over until that lens comes out. Of course if this lens never gets released you might be better off with the DA* lens, but it is quite a bit larger than the kit lens. I use a prime for most conditions and fall back to the kit lens if it raining, etc.
04-17-2011, 05:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by testdasi Quote
The only con is the price (or unless you are trying to sell your cross-country trip photos).
No - it's IQ is also bad especially for it's price tag

For traveling I would consider a Sigma 18-125 or a DA 18-250
04-17-2011, 07:30 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the input so far...

A couple of things... I'm not actually HIKING anywhere - LOL! I'll be spending a few days in Seattle and then driving back, shooting along the way at roadside attractions, parks, small-town sites.

Believe me, I'd prefer a prime kit! 21, 31, 43 and 70 limiteds would be my choice... I've currently got the 43 and 70. However, none of them are weather-sealed! The 55 DA* is just too long to be useful for me from a flexibility standpoint.

I considered sticking with the kits lens... though I was never particularly thrilled with the kits lens that came with the K-x and in dark raining conditions, f/2.8 would be useful. I'd imagine the WR kit lens isn't all that different than the non WR kit lens, from an IQ standpoint.

I don't shoot at the long end much at all. I'd say that 90% of the time I don't need longer than a 65mm FOV, in 35mm terms.

I guess I'm a little frustrated that there aren't more WR prime choices!
04-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Well, the DA* 16-50 is an excellent lens, but not very compact. I just assumed taveling = pack lightly. If that isn't an issue then I would highly recommend it.

04-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #9

Has anyone mentioned the 18-135 lens yet? Its weather sealed and just a bit bigger than the kit lens. If you wanted to take the 16-50* why not something with more range, less weight, and Weather sealed.
04-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I don't think you will notice the weight difference much. As to the size, it is all in what you get used to. Commit yourself to carrying the camera around with the lens (the 16-50 is a great lens) for at least a week. Carry it everywhere. By the time the week is over you won't really notice the difference. That is what I did with the 60-250 (talk about a monster lens). I was worried it would be too heavy to deal with at a wedding. So I carried it for a week and only used that lens. Now I have a hard time taking it off
04-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The 18-135 has more range, but it's rather dark at the long end (f/5.6) unfortunately. I know I'd prefer the f/2.8 throughout of the 16-50mm.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Allison, I think you're right and I could get used to it... and compared to the Oly kit I used to shoot with, it's not a huge difference (2 vs 2.7 lbs). Actually, I think the MacBook Air I'm typing on weighs about that... LOL... and really, it's very light.