Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2011, 06:38 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Skymist Quote
the focus light does not come on as often
Are you talking about the red square(centre screen) or the green hexagon(bottom of screen)?I have a Zeiss 50 f.2 an I use the red square as a guide and the green hexagon as more or less a confirm.Eyeball the target as well.I have presbyopia so am in on the difficulties.

05-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, I replaced the stock screen by a Canon EE-S blank screen, and manual focusing really became easy... It's way ahead a split screen IMO, and worth the hassle of cutting one yourself...

Another thing is that I disabled the red square in MF mode (I made a USER mode for this). It was hugely distracting, and it's a relief not to have it blinking in my eye each time I come near perfect focus!
05-17-2011, 10:33 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by peasant Quote
Are you talking about the red square(centre screen) or the green hexagon(bottom of screen)?I have a Zeiss 50 f.2 an I use the red square as a guide and the green hexagon as more or less a confirm.Eyeball the target as well.I have presbyopia so am in on the difficulties.
Sorry, by "focus light" I meant the focus assist LED. Firmware 1.03 causes it to not come on as often.
05-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Well, I replaced the stock screen by a Canon EE-S blank screen, and manual focusing really became easy... It's way ahead a split screen IMO, and worth the hassle of cutting one yourself...

Another thing is that I disabled the red square in MF mode (I made a USER mode for this). It was hugely distracting, and it's a relief not to have it blinking in my eye each time I come near perfect focus!
Hey, I did that too! Makes manual focus much nicer.

10-01-2011, 10:52 AM   #20

I know this thread is kind of old, but I thought I'd confirm that I'me having exactly the same experience with my K5 that I just purchased. I have a bunch of old manual focus lenses, m42 and k-mount. They all front focus terribly (with respect to focus confirmation). They all need about a -8 af adjust, and then they work fine. Some need a bit less adjust, some need -10, and some, unfortunately, need more than -10...so those can't be fixed. Interestingly, the ones that need more than -10 always focused badly on my kx, where I did not attempt the undocumented af adjust.

So my conclusion is....something must be wrong with the way the k5 interacts with older lenses, yielding this front focus problem..some lenses (seems like longer ones, 85 and 135mm) may front focus even more. Based on the OP's experience, it seems taking my camera back to the store won't solve the problem...although maybe I could try and see if Adorama will let me try out a different k5 body with my old lenses, just to see...it's past the easy return period, but it is still under warranty, of course.

I'm just wondering how wide spread this problem is.....at least I'm not alone :-)
10-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I've had to adjust AF (focus confirmation) for most of my lenses.both new AF lenses and old MF ones.
10-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #22

I have two DA * lense which require a +10 to be accurate in focus.. seems a bit high.
I have the FA 31, 43 and 77... all of which need a bit of micro adjustment.

When trying to manual focus ANY of these lense I find it difficult to be accurate and wish for a better manual focus system.

This is one of the vexing things about the Pentax K5 or possibly Pentax cameras in general. The AF just does not seem to be accurate. This is bothersome to me as I never issues of this nature with my Canon L glass on the 5D MKII
10-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Pentax definitely need to improve the AF system. but they should also improve the focussing screen too IMO

10-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Jim Radcliffe, you aint alone. my k-5 is useless for wildlife photography. And the 7D and L glass is spot on every shot. I struggled with the k-5 since introduced. I hope they get the AF problem fixed.. Actually I didn't know how bad the K-5 was until I bought a Canon system. Now I know.!!!! My guess it is about 5 years behind the others. I really hope the new company can plant there feet firmly on the ground and proceed in a direction to benefit Pentax users.

Last edited by garyk; 10-02-2011 at 05:08 PM.
10-08-2011, 11:00 AM   #25

Went out today with ALL of my lenses testing AF on subjects and found that in almost every case the AF locked on something either behind or in front of what I was shooting.. discouraging.. at the same time I had the GF1 and GH2 with me shooting the same subject with no issues. This really bothers me because accurate focus is something that has to be there.

I know there is no solution at this time but it will come down to either a solution or I will have to switch to another system for my main camera. I love everything about the way the K5 is designed: form factor, size, weather sealing, ergonomics, Etc.. but at the end of the day if the image is not sharp, not in focous, all of those other features are quite useless to me.
10-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victorshoup Quote
I know this thread is kind of old, but I thought I'd confirm that I'me having exactly the same experience with my K5 that I just purchased. I have a bunch of old manual focus lenses, m42 and k-mount. They all front focus terribly (with respect to focus confirmation). They all need about a -8 af adjust, and then they work fine. Some need a bit less adjust, some need -10, and some, unfortunately, need more than -10...so those can't be fixed. Interestingly, the ones that need more than -10 always focused badly on my kx, where I did not attempt the undocumented af adjust.

So my conclusion is....something must be wrong with the way the k5 interacts with older lenses, yielding this front focus problem..some lenses (seems like longer ones, 85 and 135mm) may front focus even more. Based on the OP's experience, it seems taking my camera back to the store won't solve the problem...although maybe I could try and see if Adorama will let me try out a different k5 body with my old lenses, just to see...it's past the easy return period, but it is still under warranty, of course.

I'm just wondering how wide spread this problem is.....at least I'm not alone :-)

I doubt AF adjustment has any effect on MF.
The AF confirm just gives you a 'around the ballpark" accuracy.
Try to see if its nearer to the more precise focus going from infinity > near or near > infinity.
I've found that on my K7 and K5, it tends to be accurate from infinity > near.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Radcliffe Quote
I have two DA * lense which require a +10 to be accurate in focus.. seems a bit high.
I have the FA 31, 43 and 77... all of which need a bit of micro adjustment.

When trying to manual focus ANY of these lense I find it difficult to be accurate and wish for a better manual focus system.

This is one of the vexing things about the Pentax K5 or possibly Pentax cameras in general. The AF just does not seem to be accurate. This is bothersome to me as I never issues of this nature with my Canon L glass on the 5D MKII
Send the camera in for a global calibration.
They are able to do a global adjustment on the camera and that is beyond what we can do on AF adjust.
I have 3 fast long lenses that needed a +10 on my K5. My FA135/2.8 needed more than +10.
Sent it in for calibration and now all the lenses work fine on the camera.