Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-17-2011, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
Just over two months with the k-5...

... I have the same number of clicks on it as I got with my k-100D in five years. This thing is beyond fun.

Essentially, that's all I wanted to say, so here are some gratuitous pics. They've been resized to 800x600, so when this site blows them back up (at least, that's what it does for me) some of the resolution will be lost. They have all be cropped to some extent, in part because I prefer the 4:3 format composition-wise.

My cat (at night, with smc F-1:1.7 50 mm, wide open).

A male Teal (Anas crecca; with a Sigma 170-500 mm I bought second-hand as an early birthday present to meself, two weeks ago):

Female Kingfisher (Alcedo atthis, same lens as above)

Female Black Redstart (Phoenicurus ochruros; Tamron 70-300 mm f4-5:6, with Soligor cd\4 1.7x rear converter)

Moon at its closest in quite a while, rising over Flevoland province. Novoflex f/8 600 mm, shoulder stock.

Lydia Lunch & James Johnston (smc F-1:1.5 50 mm, wide open)

Video from that gig here. The first video I recorded with that thing. Apart from REALLY having to get used to LiveView, I'm fairly stunned by the image quality, and that of the built-in mic. Ms. Lunch' lyrics tend to be
, so don't watch at the office.

Thus endeth the photo bomb. Unfortunately I don't have any complaints about focusing issues or other disasters, so I can't weigh in much on those topic . As you were.

Last edited by OJGoreng; 04-17-2011 at 06:46 AM. Reason: EDited for typing "1:1.5 instead of 1:1.7 when mentioning thue used lens)
04-17-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Great stuff! Glad to here your happy ;-)
04-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Excellent!
Looks like the K-5 is working nicely for you.
I also love the low light output form this camera btw.
The more I work with it, the better it feels.
04-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting how much you have been enjoying the camera. When I got mine I was so worried that something would be wrong that I started with a list of problem to look out for. It didn't take long before I forgot all about that because I just loved using the camera so much. It is really an amazing piece of machinery!

04-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for sharing your enjoyment of the K-5 wonder. I probably shouldn't admit it, but I sometimes find myself just holding the camera and shooting throwaway pics of anything in the vicinity, purely because I enjoy handling such an intuitive and great feeling piece of equipment. I've never had a camera that I wanted to use so much, just because it feels so good to use. I suppose I could call that practicing, but its really just playing.
04-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bjdavey Quote
Thanks for sharing your enjoyment of the K-5 wonder. I probably shouldn't admit it, but I sometimes find myself just holding the camera and shooting throwaway pics of anything in the vicinity, purely because I enjoy handling such an intuitive and great feeling piece of equipment. I've never had a camera that I wanted to use so much, just because it feels so good to use. I suppose I could call that practicing, but its really just playing.
Yep. I was doing this for about an hour today. So much fun with this camera. I never really cared much for my last dSLR, but the K-5 has changed me! For example, my GF would ask if I wanted to bring my camera out where we were going and pretty much every time my response was "nah ...". Now I try to take it everywhere.
04-17-2011, 10:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The output from this camera is so clean, it makes me want to cry. It's much cleaner than my K-7 at the same ISOs. I originally wanted to skip the K-7 and wait for the its successor. Fate intervened when my K20D died with 2 weeks to go until a wedding in December 2009. Stocks on new K20Ds were hard to come by, and I was wary of getting a used camera with a wedding coming up. To think, this almost made me skip the K-5. All the reports of the K-5's high ISO prowess finally swayed me...

04-17-2011, 11:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gtxtom Quote
Yep. I was doing this for about an hour today. So much fun with this camera. I never really cared much for my last dSLR, but the K-5 has changed me! For example, my GF would ask if I wanted to bring my camera out where we were going and pretty much every time my response was "nah ...". Now I try to take it everywhere.
Yup, same here. I have many throwaway snaps of dark corners of my office of the "Let's see what it looks like at ISO 12800 now!" variety. Or the "I wonder if my Metx 48AF will light up that whole building across the street @ ISO 6400?" (answer: yes!). I spent two hours taking pictures of my patio by moonlight - long exposures at low-ish ISOs, but the HIGH-ISO noise profile seems to extend to the long-exposure noise profile, as well. I can't put the doggone thing down