Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
Forum Member

Location: City of Elliot Lake (North Eastern) Ontario, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Took the plunge K20D to K-5

Early results. No need for a thousand words.

And I thought I was content before the upgrade. Hah!
SMC Pentax DA 300mm lens. From a distance of approx 100 yds/meters and well cropped after.

04-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Nice shot! Kinda looks like it's over sharpened, or maybe it's just the weeds creating busy bokeh.

So what is the first aspect that jumps out at you on the upgrade?
04-18-2011, 03:38 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
Nice shot! Kinda looks like it's over sharpened, or maybe it's just the weeds creating busy bokeh.

So what is the first aspect that jumps out at you on the upgrade?
Most impressd with the AF speed. Lost lots of shots with the K20d while it fumbled around.
And you're probablyy right in that I might have gotten a bit carrried away with the sharpening.
The excitment got ot me.
04-18-2011, 04:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Interesting to hear your thoughts as I am looking to replace my K20D with the K-5.

04-18-2011, 07:01 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by seeing well Quote
Most impressd with the AF speed. Lost lots of shots with the K20d while it fumbled around.
And you're probablyy right in that I might have gotten a bit carrried away with the sharpening.
The excitment got ot me.
Hey, it's hard not to go overboard with new gear! Everytime I get a new lens, I find many of the first shots are simply around the house, and wide open.
04-18-2011, 07:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Congratulations! Your excitement will grow as you see the fantastic abilities of the K5 with each new shot.

My sympathies to those "waiting", they will surely be disappointed...that they waited when such a fine camera could have been in their hands for great Spring and Summer shooting opportunities. As soon as you first use the K5, you realize what you have missed, this is not just "another new camera"........this is a Pentax Revolution!

Best Regards & Happy Shooting!
04-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
Interesting to hear your thoughts as I am looking to replace my K20D with the K-5.
It may pay to keep your K20D as a backup camera as I'm sure you'll still find it very useful on those certain occasions just like I do.

04-18-2011, 09:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seeing well Quote
The excitment got ot me.
I love the effect even if it was a bit exuberant.

Don't tone it down
04-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats on the move.
I did the same move and am quite impressed as well.
The example you gave does seem to have a lot of colour noise - what ISO was set? and I take it that was shot with the DA 55-300 at 300mm? or did you mean the DA* 300?
04-19-2011, 10:32 PM   #10

Congratulations!
With new toys
04-19-2011, 10:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congratulations!
Looks like your in for a great time!
04-20-2011, 06:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
It may pay to keep your K20D as a backup camera as I'm sure you'll still find it very useful on those certain occasions just like I do.
Amen! K-5 with the Sigma 150-500 and the K20d with the DA 16-45 or whatever shorter focal length I desire and I am off to the races!!! No changing lenses in windy/dusty conditions. Keep the K20D!!!
04-20-2011, 06:36 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
ISO & noise

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Congrats on the move.
I did the same move and am quite impressed as well.
The example you gave does seem to have a lot of colour noise - what ISO was set? and I take it that was shot with the DA 55-300 at 300mm? or did you mean the DA* 300?
I'm guessing but I think what looks like colour noise likely a result of my sharpening efforts.
The day was bright overcast.

ISO =100
and the lens, DA* 300
04-20-2011, 06:41 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
I sure have no regrets. My shooting is 95% wildlife and already i am seeing far more keepers than with the K20D. particularly with the limited time I get to take the shot.
Attached Images

04-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I went from the K20 to the K5 last week and I'm sure enjoying it as well. The high ISO is amazing. I now shoot at ISO3200 and don't even think about it. I had handled a K7 before in the store (it wasn't charged, though) so I knew what to expect size-wise. What really surprised me was the lack of shutter sound. My friend was looking at it (he just bought a D700) and he was snapping shots, and I couldn't even hear it. He kept looking at the LCD and I was wonder what he was looking at, when I saw that he was actually shooting.

I haven't read the manual yet. (That's just some guy's opinion, anyway.) However, some of the functions are taking me a while to figure out. I may have to break down and give it a read. I like the Live View implementation and AF. I won't use it that much, but it's nice to have. I haven't played with the video yet. I'll give it a try, though again, I probably won't use it that much.

All in all, I'm very happy, and it seems to be living up the the standards my K20 laid down, and then some.