Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
Pentaxian

K-5 magnify during movie mode?

Am I loosing my mind or can the K-5 actually magnify(INFO) while recording in movie mode?
Because when I first got the camera, I made a quick video and I could have sworn that I was able to zoom in while recording the movie..

04-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It can definitely do that in live view, but I think the zoom effect is only there to help you focus. If you actually wanted to zoom the picture, you'd have to use the lens's zoom ring.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It can definitely do that in live view, but I think the zoom effect is only there to help you focus. If you actually wanted to zoom the picture, you'd have to use the lens's zoom ring.
Okay that's what I thought.
But what about when you're recording a movie?
Can you magnify pressing the INFO button while recording?
04-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #4

No i dont think you can, even if you zoom in before you start recording as soon as you press the shutter botton it will immediately zoom out to the full screen.

04-18-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobby_navy Quote
No i dont think you can, even if you zoom in before you start recording as soon as you press the shutter botton it will immediately zoom out to the full screen.
Okay thanks,
Your answer means I can stop worrying about my mental state then.
Even though, I could have sworn I did this(magnify while recording) when I first got the camera.

I hope this wasn't something that was possible on the old FW
04-19-2011, 05:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I wonder why zooming wasn't an option in movie mode. Seems like it would help a lot, since manual focus is mandatory. Seems like it would be pretty easy to add it in.
04-19-2011, 01:16 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
I use magnifier device like this: Hoodman HoodLoupe 3.0 LCD screen hood loupe. So you can see what you are doing even in bright sunlight. And honestly I would not use zooming while filming. You need to see the whole frame to compose it right. There are other means to keep your frame in focus.
Maybe when doing follow-focus and zoom in onto the subject detail you need to focus stay on. But this is hard to do without external monitor in any way.

Last edited by vanakaru; 04-20-2011 at 12:01 AM.
04-19-2011, 01:21 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I wonder why zooming wasn't an option in movie mode. Seems like it would help a lot, since manual focus is mandatory. Seems like it would be pretty easy to add it in.
I was wondering the same thing too maybe they will include it in a future firmware update as well as more manual options for video. I myself never really use the video mode except for test shots so im not really missing out on anything.