Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2011, 10:30 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 30v iPentax Quote
En pulauta K-5, mutta Nikon ja Canon kyllä.
I'd love to know what "pulauta" means (flush down the toilet?)

04-21-2011, 04:57 AM   #32
Veteran Member

wet enough?
04-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #33

Original Poster
The above referenced photo. ^^^ And yes, I think that'll be wet enough for me.

04-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jremick Quote
The above referenced photo. ^^^ And yes, I think that'll be wet enough for me.
What lens is that (the guy on the right)? Looks like it's a wide angle or something...

04-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Notice how they're both holding the cameras out of the water?
04-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #36

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
Notice how they're both holding the cameras out of the water?
There's some other photos showing that they (and others) got their cams completely drenched. While that's still different than briefly submerged, it's close enough for me. If I ever accidentally submerge mine I'll be sure to let you all know what happens, haha.
04-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
It means "dunk".
04-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
This is why 30v iPentax is quoted in my sig. The open-to-interpretation-translations are perfect for these forums! (Ex Finn's notwithstanding...)

04-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #39
Site Supporter

What bag do you use? I'm thinking of getting a small sling style bag and putting a drybag in it, then if I think/know I'll go in then I'll put the camera in. I can't find any bags that are relatively easily accessible and waterproof though.
The Ortlieb Aqua Cam. You can see it here: View the Aqua Cam at http://www.ortliebusa.com.
04-21-2011, 09:10 PM   #40
Site Supporter

I do a decent amount of hiking but plan on doing as much as possible this summer. I just got back from a trip to Zion National Park in Utah and did quite a bit of stream crossing, carefully hopping from rock to rock (thank goodness I have good balance).

Anyway, my biggest worry with the K-x has been dust and if I fall in a pool of water or deep stream. Fortunately that hasn't happened yet.

This coming month I'm picking up the DA* 16-50 to add to my DA* 50-135 but will probably also snag the K-5 at the same time (if not, then the following month). While I've seen quite a few videos of people pouring water over the K-5, I'm wondering if it would survive a brief dip in a pool of water or stream?

I plan on going up the Narrows at Zion and plenty of other watery areas (possibly doing some chest deep wading) and I'm wondering how I should approach this with the K-5? I'm pretty good at keeping a camera above water, and I'll have a dry bag for those times I'll need to essentially swim, but is it just too risky if the K-5 were to take a short dip? How do you guys do it?
Sounds like a nice trip....I'm envious.

Most of it has been said and I can only add my experience with a K20D & DA* 200, used in rain that got us wet (& I mean wet!) in about 20 minutes....steady, solid rain. we were shooting on the North Rim at the time and all other shooters were ducking for cover or puting allsorts of covers over their gear. I simply left the K20 on the tripod in the rain (was actually able to pinch a better location as others scampered for cover and sought a bit shelter myself under an overhanging rock.

When the rain stopped I simply wiped the camera down and went on shooting. And yes...I (perhaps the Pentax) got some very long hard looks from other shooters.

Having said that, I would not be keen on submersing the camera, that will create pressure issues, so would avoid that if posiible.
PS....that was in Sept 2009 and the gear still works fine to this day.

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 04-21-2011 at 09:18 PM. Reason: se PS
04-21-2011, 09:21 PM   #41

Original Poster
Cool, thanks for sharing your experience! I assume you're referring to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon? I've been to the South Rim (did Bright Angel out to the point) but plan on going to the North Rim later this summer. Would you recommend any particular hikes?

Here's a neat shot (panorama) from the SR lookout with the kit lens. Can't wait to try out the DA* lenses there!

I'm surprised my K-x survived that trip so well since it was so incredibly dusty and I didn't have it covered for most of the hike. It did great though.
04-22-2011, 02:16 AM   #42
Site Supporter

That is one Magnificent shot of a Magnificent place. Congratulations.

I'm afreaid my hiking is pretty much restricted to the horizontal or slight inclines these days.
I had visions of hiking down to some falls from North Rim but did not appreciate just how much 8,800 feet altitude knocks one around.
I sat at the top of the Bright Angel trail listening to people coming up, stopping every 10 metres and very quickly decided that I was only asking for trouble going down to the falls.

I am a great fan of the NPS website which has lots of info on hiking and maps. Apparently thjere a lot more hiking trails on the North Rim than the South.

Of course you could always do the total rim to rim hike....thats not off my agenda yet, but I need to get a hernia re-stitched up, lose some weight and get truly fit before I tackle that one.
Cheers.
04-22-2011, 07:26 AM   #43

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
That is one Magnificent shot of a Magnificent place. Congratulations.
Thanks! It's surprising what the little kit lens is capable of, especially in capable hands (not mine). Now it's just collecting dust having been replaced by primes and DA*s, haha.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
I'm afreaid my hiking is pretty much restricted to the horizontal or slight inclines these days.
I had visions of hiking down to some falls from North Rim but did not appreciate just how much 8,800 feet altitude knocks one around.
I sat at the top of the Bright Angel trail listening to people coming up, stopping every 10 metres and very quickly decided that I was only asking for trouble going down to the falls.

I am a great fan of the NPS website which has lots of info on hiking and maps. Apparently thjere a lot more hiking trails on the North Rim than the South.

Of course you could always do the total rim to rim hike....thats not off my agenda yet, but I need to get a hernia re-stitched up, lose some weight and get truly fit before I tackle that one.
Cheers.
I hope you're able to make that hike one of these days. That's one that's on my list as well but I'll probably have to wait until next year to do it since I have too many on the list ahead of it and I'll have a hard time finding friends who will do it with me. I'm not to keen on doing it alone (at least not yet).
04-22-2011, 07:57 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Eipä ole ollut 60 vuoteen tarvetta hukuttaa kameraa. Jos tulee tarve, on sukellusta varten välineet kameralle.
04-22-2011, 08:11 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

I did see some underwater shots a while ago. Cant remember where..