Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Make a camera such as the K-5 totally water proof? Sure, technically it can be done, but if you now attach a sealed zoom lens on such a camera you would not be able to zoom with it in and out. (Hold your thumb over the air hole on a bicycle pump and than move the pump handle, you get the idea)
Thing is, with DA* lenses, they are filled with nitrogen I believe, thus meaning they don't suck air in, it's part of what keeps them waterproof (and they are waterproof) rather than water resistant. I'm not saying you should go swimming with it, but it should withstand a mild dunk, the K5 I don't know about though as those are only water resistant...

04-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by jremick Quote
While I've seen quite a few videos of people pouring water over the K-5, I'm wondering if it would survive a brief dip in a pool of water or stream?
The physics of the two are completely different.

Pouring water over a K10D, K20D, K-7 or K-5 will merely leverage surface forces or, in the case of directly above a seal or gasket, the force of gravity, to push water into the camera. The angles are acute and limited, along with the force.

Submersing something in water puts far more force, and from all angles, from the water on water itself. That's why things are rated for depth, because of the force. A completely different design is required, entirely. The lens would definitely take on water, and the body very likely as well, just from several seconds.

And yes, I have an engineering degree (basic fluid dynamics, even elementary, 2nd year statics explains much of the logic), but this should also be high school level physics knowledge (for those who paid attention).
04-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Diving,no.But Easternsea,she loves it
Pentax in use | Facebook
04-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bjsmith Quote
The physics of the two are completely different.

Pouring water over a K10D, K20D, K-7 or K-5 will merely leverage surface forces or, in the case of directly above a seal or gasket, the force of gravity, to push water into the camera. The angles are acute and limited, along with the force.

Submersing something in water puts far more force, and from all angles, from the water on water itself. That's why things are rated for depth, because of the force. A completely different design is required, entirely. The lens would definitely take on water, and the body very likely as well, just from several seconds.

And yes, I have an engineering degree (basic fluid dynamics, even elementary, 2nd year statics explains much of the logic), but this should also be high school level physics knowledge (for those who paid attention).
Exactly my take of it as per my post #14 above.

Greetings

04-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by soppy Quote
Thing is, with DA* lenses, they are filled with nitrogen I believe, thus meaning they don't suck air in, it's part of what keeps them waterproof (and they are waterproof) rather than water resistant. I'm not saying you should go swimming with it, but it should withstand a mild dunk, the K5 I don't know about though as those are only water resistant...
Where did you get that from?
04-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by soppy Quote
Hoolly Doolly what is this all about ?

When I don't use my 60-250 to take pictures I use it to pump up my bicycle tires.

(Still 1st of April ?)

Greetings
04-23-2011, 01:15 AM   #52
Inactive Account

Ei jos ei satu olemaan mämmikoura.