Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Food For Thought

I was recently looking over my k-5 and noticed the two mic holes on the righthand side. I never really paid much attention to them before until the other day during a large storm where i was stuck outside in the torrential down poor. The thought popped in my head, are these holes weather sealed. If so where does the water go, is it possible to seal a mic without affecting sound quaility? Its just something i was thinking about and wanted to know if anyone knew the answer?

04-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two mic holes? I thought one was a mic, and the other was the speaker. In fact, I know that the one right under the flash on the right side (facing the camera away from you) is the "beep" speaker.

As far as WR goes... I have no clue. It's a good question; I've never thought of it before.
04-19-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobby_navy Quote
I was recently looking over my k-5 and noticed the two mic holes on the righthand side. I never really paid much attention to them before until the other day during a large storm where i was stuck outside in the torrential down poor. The thought popped in my head, are these holes weather sealed. If so where does the water go, is it possible to seal a mic without affecting sound quaility? Its just something i was thinking about and wanted to know if anyone knew the answer?
It's absolutely possible to build a sealed, waterproof mic with good sound quality - but you won't find one in the K-5. The mic is *not* "good" sound quality - it's "adequate for documentary purposes", maybe, but if you want good sound you'll have to get external mics or external recording devices. I use the Zoom H2 for audio with any video I shoot, and sync 'em in FC. Huge difference.
04-20-2011, 04:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
its actually very easy to build a water proof speaker... plastic or rubber diaphragm and plastic cone. water will just drain back out of the hole again

04-20-2011, 05:01 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Kannattaisi unohtaa turhat murheet, ottaa kuvia ja nauttia.