Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-21-2011, 09:57 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Real life DR - K5 vs kr/kx

Any real life example of DR difference between K5 vs kr/kx

Yusuf

Update: DR - Dynamic Range

Last edited by yusuf; 04-21-2011 at 07:30 PM.
04-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For starters, it is much, much quieter. The only real measure I can give is that with startup DR on, I've never seen a piece of dust on my K7/K5, whereas that wasn't the case for my k10 (which uses the same system as the kx).

It would be interesting to test this by pouring dust onto the sensor and then seeing how long it took to shake it off!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #3

Send me you camera Adam... i'll test it for you!
04-21-2011, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Are we talking Dust Removal or Dynamic Range? Or Dust Range? Or Dynamic Removal?

04-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Dynamic Range I assume he is meaning
04-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Dust removal of course- to test the dynamic range, just take a picture of a black dog- there are several here and there around the forum! Also, check dxo's charts.
04-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Dynamic Range I assume he is meaning
+1

Well If I look in DxO at the three current Pentax camera's in production (K-5, K-r and 645D) then it is clear that the K-5 has just over one EV advantage in average and a the biggest one from iso 80-250 that overclasses the possibility's from the two others.

DxOMark - Compare sensors

So you have to look at pictures in that aria where the total colourtone from black to white is used.

To my use I find DR-on starting at iso-160 with more room in highlights to work the best. No idea if this is even better in DR then iso-80 or just a shift or even a little less DR.

04-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Curious.....I haven't read all the reports and most likely wouldn't understand them anyhow, but what ISO range would you use to get the best DR from the K5, assuming that was your goal in a particular shot?

What I am finding personally, is that all my Raw shots are processing much easier with the K5. Some lenses that were not allowing much pushing now appear to allow much better processing of images, easier and faster, with markedly better results. Anyone else notice this change? I don't know what to attribute this to, but I am seeing it every day in most all of my shots.....just easier and better results than I have ever seen before.

Some comments on the why of this would be informative, but I am pretty well satisfied with just having the great results, even if I never know why. I've already ruled out the outside possibility that all of a sudden I just became a better shooter or processor......I'm just old, not stupid.
Best Regards
04-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

First definition for DR on my Google search was Disconnect Request, so that's gotta be it.
04-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Dust removal of course- to test the dynamic range, just take a picture of a black dog- there are several here and there around the forum! Also, check dxo's charts.
Good recovery, Adam

Serious, though, and DxO aside, if someone took a photo of a morning landscape, same lens, same low ISO settings, but once with the K-5 and once with the K-x/K-r, could a casual user see the difference? Could a pixel-peeper see the difference?

In other words, how does the DR advantage of the K-5 over the K-x/K-r manifest itself in real life?

And while we're at it, how good is the Dust Removal?
04-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Curious.....I haven't read all the reports and most likely wouldn't understand them anyhow, but what ISO range would you use to get the best DR from the K5, assuming that was your goal in a particular shot?

What I am finding personally, is that all my Raw shots are processing much easier with the K5. Some lenses that were not allowing much pushing now appear to allow much better processing of images, easier and faster, with markedly better results. Anyone else notice this change? I don't know what to attribute this to, but I am seeing it every day in most all of my shots.....just easier and better results than I have ever seen before.

Some comments on the why of this would be informative, but I am pretty well satisfied with just having the great results, even if I never know why. I've already ruled out the outside possibility that all of a sudden I just became a better shooter or processor......I'm just old, not stupid.
Best Regards
Yup, you're not the only one. I've noticed this myself too!
04-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Serious, though, and DxO aside, if someone took a photo of a morning landscape, same lens, same low ISO settings, but once with the K-5 and once with the K-x/K-r, could a casual user see the difference? Could a pixel-peeper see the difference?

In other words, how does the DR advantage of the K-5 over the K-x/K-r manifest itself in real life?
Exactly, this is the question - interestingly I haven't seen any real life comparison.
04-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #13
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can vouch for the phenomenal DR the K-5 has at ISO 80.
High contrast scenes are hardly a problem for it, notably recording shadow and highlight detail with more clarity than compared to both my K10D and K20D.
I can't give objective measures or post examples, but it's definitely no gimmick. The K-5 sensor's DR has real life benefits in photography.
04-22-2011, 12:29 AM   #14
Banned

I don't have/used K-x or K-r so no comparison. I did use K-7 so my world in DR got a little bigger with the K-5.

A picture with everything in it, taken with my K-5 Silver, FA*85mm at f2,2 and iso 100. With K-7 this would have lead to either black without detail, or white without detail or maybe even both.
04-22-2011, 03:23 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Good recovery, Adam

And while we're at it, how good is the Dust Removal?
I think it really depends on post processing. With the K5 there is an amazing ability to bump shadow content, almost up to HDR type levels, but just using a single file. With other sensors out there, there is just less information captured. At the same time, if you shoot jpeg and do no post processing, I bet the jpegs look pretty much the same if shot at less than iso 400.