Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hoping to Buy K5 end of the month but from whom...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

All the local stores here carry the K5 so there is no shortage from whom to purchase it locally. However prodigital2000 does peek my interest as it would save me $200+. My main concern is at least if I buy it from a local store and there are sensor stains, I can just walk in and exchange it, or even run the sensor stain test at the store. I called prodigital2000 and they said that the stock they have is new stock and not the first batch that came in and shouldn't have any stains.

What would you do?

04-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
All the local stores here carry the K5 so there is no shortage from whom to purchase it locally. However prodigital2000 does peek my interest as it would save me $200+. My main concern is at least if I buy it from a local store and there are sensor stains, I can just walk in and exchange it, or even run the sensor stain test at the store. I called prodigital2000 and they said that the stock they have is new stock and not the first batch that came in and shouldn't have any stains.

What would you do?
I don't think that the local store would give you a new one in case you get one with sensor stain.. they will probably send it in on your behalf (I hope to be wrong on this one). I think there is one poster here indicated recently that the k-5 he got from PD2000 has serial number starting with 401xxx (whatever as referred to as new stocks) - may be your chance of getting stain free k-5 is even higher. Again, not speaking for or against any stores... do what you feel is right for you.
04-21-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I like to buy from a local reputable dealer....but that is not an option in my area, unfortunately. My K5 came from B&H, a fine and respected online dealer. I have also had good fortune with Adorama, and would not hesitate to do business with them at any time...and surely will in the future.
Prodigital....never used them but have heard generally positive reports.

Steer clear of sites "too good to be true"....they are.

Best Regards.... and if you are not excited about getting the K5, you should be! You are in for a real treat! It carries the Otis Seal of Approval and Satisfaction Guarantee.....it doesn't get any better than that!
04-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm defiantly excited about buy the K5. In a little over 2 months I'd be taking it with me to Scotland for my wife and I's first trip over seas!

04-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #5

Pro Digital

I bought a lens (17-50 f2.8 Tamron) from Pro Digital. Low price, shipped fast and there is nothing wrong with the lens.

I would definitely recommend them. Best of luck!
04-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The only way you could get a stained sensor at this point is if you buy from some small-time dealer who sells very few K5's. After all, they identified and eliminated the problem 4 months ago.
04-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I bought my K-5 from prodigital2000 and it's stain free. Don't worry about stains from them, they go through enough copies that old stock is long gone. I say: buy and be happy.

04-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If the price is the same or close buy locally . Anyway you do not have provincial tax in Alberta
Look at price here
Pentax K-5 - Canada and Cross-Border Price Comparison - photoprice.ca
04-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I don't know about the Don's Photo stores in Edmonton, but the one here will price match Canadian online sellers.
We use The Camera Store in Calgary and ProDigital for price checks.
I very much like dealing with Don's, and think you should give them a chance to bid on the sale.
That's a good point, I called Mcbain and they said only Canadian stores, but I will give Don's a try for sure after the long weekend. No harm in trying right.
04-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
That's a good point, I called Mcbain and they said only Canadian stores, but I will give Don's a try for sure after the long weekend. No harm in trying right.
I would buy from Mcbain. They priced matched Lenses for me.

Look at the Dunne & Rundle Price

body only price when purchaced
with any Pentax lens $1428.99 Sale $1398.00

body only price without lens $1458.99 Sale $1438.00

Mcbain Camera or Dons photo will not match Prodigitals price of $1279.02 becuase it is not a "store front" Store.

I would pay the extra $s for the service you get at Mcbain.

NEW Pentax K-5 Digital SLR Camera Body Only 16MP 1080p
C $1,279.02
04-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

This is where I'm probably going to get my K-5:
Ogt-Clan /Item Description Pentax K-5 Body

They also have an ebay store, and their feedback is good, but the price is higher there (probably because of ebay's fees):
Pentax K-5 Body | eBay
04-26-2011, 02:24 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
This is where I'm probably going to get my K-5: Ogt-Clan /Item Description Pentax K-5 Body
Just make sure what the FedEx Custom fees will be. I have been suprised a few times with out of country deals.

Also, Pentax Canada has a two year Warranty. What does Japan have?

Would you really try to save 20$ by ordering form Japan and not Prodigital2000?
04-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by babbs Quote
would you really try to save 20$ by ordering form japan and not prodigital2000?
$1339 - $1222 = $20?
04-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just got my black K-5 from Prodigital last Wednesday. Serial number started with 4, which another forum member mentioned aligned with the numbering of the new silver units, which are a fresh batch. I couldn't find any stains...though I will admit I haven't done a proper check. Also, I placed my order by phone and got a discount of a flat $1300Cdn. Great service, would deal with them again. Also, the box had the Pentax Canada 2 year sticker....and I confirmed with them the 2 year Cdn warranty applies. Ability of the K-5s sensor, blew my K-7 out of the water....what a camera. Ability to push 4 stops on the raw in lightroom, with no give...blows my mind.
04-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
You'll risk no warranty for that small a price difference with the number of known problems that the K5 has?
Sometimes the best price is the worst price....
It has a Japanese warranty. I'd have to ship it, but I'd have to ship it no matter where I buy it. Ogt-clan seems to have good service, from reports I've read.