Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2011, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #1

User Selected Focal Point not working

I just got my new K-5. I'm using several Tamaron lenses which are 4-6 years old. I cannot get the User Selected Focal point feature to work. I've followed the manual carefully and all the settings are correct but I can't get the red focus point off the center.

Are my lenses too old to use this feature (they are D mounts)? Will the feature only work with Pentax lenses? Am I not pressing the right buttons at the right time????

Thanks for any advice or additional things to try.

04-21-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just put it in SEL mode and make press the arrow keys to shift the focus point. Pressing the OK button will reset the point to the center. Also, make sure you enable superimposing of the AF area in the viewfinder.

This feature should have nothing to do with what lens you're using

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've noticed with my K-5 that the switch needs to be "tweaked" a little sometimes to get it into the select mode. It has to be in exactly the right position. I suggest you play around with the switch a little to see if that makes a difference. Hasn't been a problem for me - just a quirk of my camera - maybe yours is the same. I don't think the lenses are the issue. Good luck.
04-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #4

My af select switch is a little tight for my taste but I rarely use selective point focus. Maybe it will loosen up over time.

04-22-2011, 03:36 AM   #5

Original Poster
user selected focus now working

Thanks folks. The switch just needed to be tweaked. Worked on it for a minute or so... Now it works. Much appreciate the help.
04-22-2011, 06:26 AM   #6

When you turn the switch to SEL, you need to hold down the OK button for a split second to see the SEL icon appearing on your VF, then it's on.
04-22-2011, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anthony Lee Quote
When you turn the switch to SEL, you need to hold down the OK button for a split second to see the SEL icon appearing on your VF, then it's on.
Mine doesn't work like that. The moment I turn the switch to SEL, the icon appears in the viewfinder immediately - no need to also push the OK button. The sequence of possibilities is:

- Turn AF switch to SEL
- The 4-way controller buttons are now enabled to move the AF point as desired;
- A short push on the OK button returns the AF point to centre;
- A long push on the OK button disables AF select, and returns the 4-way controller buttons to their usual functions (WB, flash, drive mode & custom image);
- Another long push on the OK button returns four-way controller to AF point control.

Before I learned the above, I thought the AF point move function was intermittently faulty. In fact it was just the changing mode, due to longer pushes on the OK button. If you find the AF point not moving when you push the 4-way controller buttons, just give a long push on the OK button to return the mode to AF point control.

04-22-2011, 04:50 PM   #8

@bjdavey: Thanks for the tip, very handy. The shortcut does speeds up shooting with my new K-5.
04-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok so when I follow bjdavey's instructions, everything worked fine but there have been times I thought I was doing things right and it wasn't working for me. I hope I've got this puzzlement resolved because I'm planning to use that function a lot going forward.

Thanks for the thread, myquelp.
04-22-2011, 10:36 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Ok so when I follow bjdavey's instructions, everything worked fine but there have been times I thought I was doing things right and it wasn't working for me. I hope I've got this puzzlement resolved because I'm planning to use that function a lot going forward.

Thanks for the thread, myquelp.
When you lose the control of the AF points at SEL mode, check your VF and if the SEL icon is not there, just depress the OK button, hold it for a while until the SEL icon comes back, then you are on again. You can switch on or off by doing the same thing with the OK button.
04-23-2011, 03:15 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anthony Lee Quote
When you lose the control of the AF points at SEL mode, check your VF and if the SEL icon is not there, just depress the OK button, hold it for a while until the SEL icon comes back, then you are on again. You can switch on or off by doing the same thing with the OK button.
Well, that's precisely what didn't seem to work reliably.
04-25-2011, 06:50 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DOH!

[slaps forehead] Mystery solved! Focus-point selection only works with AF. I've been trying to use it for catch-in-focus with MF lenses. It seems to me this should be possible but it ain't.
04-25-2011, 08:06 AM   #13
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
[slaps forehead] Mystery solved! Focus-point selection only works with AF. I've been trying to use it for catch-in-focus with MF lenses. It seems to me this should be possible but it ain't.
Actually it is Lens dependent see manual p337, only centre point focus is available with MF lens. I have no idea why. All points are available when I'm using the DA*300 switched to MF for focus trapping.