Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2011, 12:25 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Auto Flash Pop Up?

Brand new K-5 owner and have not really had a chance go out and play but I am curious why the flash does'nt pop up automatically when in green mode.I know it is not supposed to but why?I forsee this being a problem when my wife needs to take a shot.She has a hard time pressing the shutter halfway to let the camera focus!

04-23-2011, 03:35 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The flash on the K10, K20, K7, and the K5 has Never automatically popped up. Just push the button that raises the flash and if the camera needs to use the flash, it will. It's a mechanical release only, something for which, I am happy. YMMV. Even if Mrs has a hard time with half press, as long as you are on AF-S, the camera will not take a photo until the camera is focused. She can press the button all the way down and the camera will do its thing.

04-23-2011, 04:58 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Although the camera is not made for newbies... this design choice does not make a lot of sense... they should remove the green mode too imo :P
04-23-2011, 05:06 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

One of the very good features of these cameras is that the bloody flash doesn't automatically pop up, IMHO. I see that on a lot of other (brand) cameras and some early Pentax cameras (I think my k100ds does it in green mode). Anyway, I've always been happy of this. I want to control the flash not the other way around. Thank you Pentax.

04-23-2011, 05:32 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by rockyram Quote
Brand new K-5 owner and have not really had a chance go out and play but I am curious why the flash does'nt pop up automatically when in green mode.I know it is not supposed to but why?I forsee this being a problem when my wife needs to take a shot.She has a hard time pressing the shutter halfway to let the camera focus!
Focusing has nothing to do with the pop up flash. I think you are confusing the K-5 with some Canon DSLR which uses flash strobes to assist focus (which I personally find very annoying because people see the flash and think the picture has already been taken). The K-5 focus assist lamp is not the pop up flash but a green light.

And I also found auto pop up flash very annoying because it's me who should decide when to use the flash, not the camera which only has generic fixed rules.
04-23-2011, 05:53 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

He isn't confusing it with anything. He said he knows that it isn't supposed to pop up. I think what he is wondering about is why it is designed that way.
I read his focus statement as a commentary on his wife's ability to use the camera; not that he is under the impression that the focus and flash functions are related.
The green button was designed to severely reduce the need for conscious thought regarding exposure when taking a picture, so why didn't they go all the way and completely eliminate the requirement for any cerebral activity at all by making the flash pop up automatically? I've wondered the same thing.

Last edited by Parallax; 04-23-2011 at 06:01 AM.
04-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
He isn't confusing it with anything. He said he knows that it isn't supposed to pop up. I think what he is wondering about is why it is designed that way.
I read his focus statement as a commentary on his wife's ability to use the camera; not that he is under the impression that the focus and flash functions are related.
The green button was designed to severely reduce the need for conscious thought regarding exposure when taking a picture, so why didn't they go all the way and completely eliminate the requirement for any cerebral activity at all by making the flash pop up automatically? I've wondered the same thing.

I resent that Jim! The Green Button is most useful for quickly getting a close setting for exposure when you are a photographically challenged idiot, but still want to get a good shot without a lot of trial and error. I use it all the time....so I rest my case!

Best Regards!
04-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you psychic!?
How did you know I was thinking of you when I wrote it?

tease1

04-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #9

Original Poster
That's exactly what I mean Parallax.If they have a fully auto mode why not take it all the way.
04-23-2011, 12:06 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I don't agree that the in-camera flash should pop up automatically, there are many times you want to use the ambient light... with the high iso capability of the k-5, why would you want to use the built-in flash unless you know what you are doing. The green button is to let the camera choose whatever exposure setting is appropriate without adding flash in the equation. To me that makes sense.... since k-5 is not an entry-level DSLR.
04-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #11

The flash my not pop up automatically but the camera does let you know when it thinks that it does need the flash but it leaves it up to you to decide whether to use it or not. I personally prefer this because i like to underexpose to protect the highlights and not have to worry about a flash going off on accident.
04-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I'd prefer for it to pop up in green (or an option in a user mode), and leave P mode & green button for myself when I need an exposure quick.
04-28-2011, 08:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

People are (wrongly) using "green button" and "green mode" interchangeably in this thread. I believe the OP was talking about having the flash pop up in Green Mode (meaning the fully automatic mode). The green button has nothing to do with the green mode, and wasn't part of the original discussion.

I agree with the OP that if you're going to have a green mode that is fully automatic "hand to the grandmother" mode, then why not have the flash automatically pop up in that mode? I think it makes sense.

BTW, I never use this mode, so if it popped up in that mode only, I'd likely never know about it. However, when I want to hand it to the wife, it could come in handy.
04-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
People are (wrongly) using "green button" and "green mode" interchangeably in this thread. I believe the OP was talking about having the flash pop up in Green Mode (meaning the fully automatic mode). The green button has nothing to do with the green mode, and wasn't part of the original discussion.

I agree with the OP that if you're going to have a green mode that is fully automatic "hand to the grandmother" mode, then why not have the flash automatically pop up in that mode? I think it makes sense.

BTW, I never use this mode, so if it popped up in that mode only, I'd likely never know about it. However, when I want to hand it to the wife, it could come in handy.
Because the K5 simply isn't built to do it.

04-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Because the K5 simply isn't built to do it.

Yeah, but why not? It's a philosophical question.