Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2011, 02:41 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
RonHendriks1966, dgaies, thanks! I didn't know it has different versions. After comparison, I am confuse:
- my serial number is in black color (instead of just sliver engraving), but then without the 'CE' wording above it;
- Serial is 303xxxxx according to the page, it is likely the 2nd ver of the older lens;
- my 85 doesn't have an additional black color 'ring' below the aperture marking;
- from lens hood, it appears I have the newer version!

I am confused. I got it from forum member.

séamuis, yea... expensive considering they can be bought using those machine. But there is no such machine in US, you can certainly get it cheap if you live in HK, China, or Taiwan. I like the colorful Pentax k-x and k-r, and this is the "cheapest way" to have them all... (The quality is a little disappointment, so I don't recommend it).

Lee

04-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
RonHendriks1966, dgaies, thanks! I didn't know it has different versions. After comparison, I am confuse:
- my serial number is in black color (instead of just sliver engraving), but then without the 'CE' wording above it;
- Serial is 303xxxxx according to the page, it is likely the 2nd ver of the older lens;
- my 85 doesn't have an additional black color 'ring' below the aperture marking;
- from lens hood, it appears I have the newer version!

I am confused. I got it from forum member.

Lee
Don't worry, I'm sure your FA*85 is fine

FWIW, it's not a black ring above the aperture rings, it's a silver lip (which yours does have). The original version (referred to as 1a in the link I posted) had no such lip.

The hood version you have is the newer one. Most serial numbers that started 303xxxx seemed to have the older hood, but we also never found anything 304xxxx or higher with the older hood so it's quite possible the cutoff was sometime in the 303xxxx run.

As for not having "CE" on yours, that also makes sense if this was an early copy of the "newest" version. It is quite likely that the requirement to stamp "CE" on them came after yours was made. Or, "CE" is only printed on copies to be distributed in Europe. Here's a link that described the CE mark.
04-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Don't worry, I'm sure your FA*85 is fine

FWIW, it's not a black ring above the aperture rings, it's a silver lip (which yours does have). The original version (referred to as 1a in the link I posted) had no such lip.

The hood version you have is the newer one. Most serial numbers that started 303xxxx seemed to have the older hood, but we also never found anything 304xxxx or higher with the older hood so it's quite possible the cutoff was sometime in the 303xxxx run.

As for not having "CE" on yours, that also makes sense if this was an early copy of the "newest" version. It is quite likely that the requirement to stamp "CE" on them came after yours was made. Or, "CE" is only printed on copies to be distributed in Europe. Here's a link that described the CE mark.
Oh thanks for the correction. I did notice the sliver ring on mine.
So I got a copy that is the 2nd older version, but w/ new hood design-- in the middle of 2nd older version and before the new version. Interesting. Mine serial is 30370xx, engraved in black color.

Nice to know a little history about the old lens you have.

Lee
04-24-2011, 03:07 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Oh thanks for the correction. I did notice the sliver ring on mine.
So I got a copy that is the 2nd older version, but w/ new hood design-- in the middle of 2nd older version and before the new version. Interesting. Mine serial is 30370xx, engraved in black color.

Nice to know a little history about the old lens you have.

Lee
You're welcome. Actually, according to how the "versions" we "defined", you have the newest version (silver lip and new hood). The fact that you don't have the CE mark wasn't ever differentiated in the versions. I suppose you could say you have version 2a (2a being without the CE mark and 2b being with the CE mark).

Seeing as yours is 3037xxx, that all makes sense as it was one of the oldest copies with the newest lens hood design. Confused yet

edit: I think the it would be best if everyone who owns an FA*85 would just send me their lens for proper cataloging and archiving. I promise to send them all back

04-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #20

Wow you have collected all those little plastic models or atleast bought them all in bulk lol. I have 4 so far. I get them from a bubble gum dispensing machine in the local supermarket. Great shots too. Love all the color. Thats what Pentax is about. Color and Passion.
04-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
You're welcome. Actually, according to how the "versions" we "defined", you have the newest version (silver lip and new hood). The fact that you don't have the CE mark wasn't ever differentiated in the versions. I suppose you could say you have version 2a (2a being without the CE mark and 2b being with the CE mark).

Seeing as yours is 3037xxx, that all makes sense as it was one of the oldest copies with the newest lens hood design. Confused yet

edit: I think the it would be best if everyone who owns an FA*85 would just send me their lens for proper cataloging and archiving. I promise to send them all back
I am more confused than before...

I will take some photos of my FA* 85 and send it to you for cataloging.

Lee
04-24-2011, 04:02 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by schufosi777 Quote
Wow you have collected all those little plastic models or atleast bought them all in bulk lol. I have 4 so far. I get them from a bubble gum dispensing machine in the local supermarket. Great shots too. Love all the color. Thats what Pentax is about. Color and Passion.
You are lucky that you can get them from the dispensing machine. It is much cheaper in this case... I guess you are from Japan?

I can't find it here in US and hence have to e-bay them, luckily they come in all 15 colors combination that are available in a set. Yea, I did get them because of the colorful colors on them...

Lee