Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2011, 12:41 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
First Day - Impressions and Rain

Some photos...

This one was my favorite of the day, and part of the picture-a-day series. I shot it at ISO 1600 because I wanted a large depth of field (shot at f/11)...

I had to walk out onto a slim dock to get this shot. Along the walk there were these smaller, very narrow walkways and one was going to get me even closer to the steps, but the whole thing started to wobble back and forth and I didn't want to take a dip with my brand new camera on a rainy day! LOL! I slowly back out and remained on the wider, steadier dock...

This one is a bit of a "typical" shot for me... seascape stuff is one of my favorite subjects to shoots... especially in gloomy weather. My family all think I'm nuts and sit in the car watching me snap away in the rain.

The last one I shot before getting back in the car to head home...

Overall, I'm very pleased and am really looking forward to enjoying this camera. Being an M8 and m4/3 (EP1, then EP2) shooter for quite a while, this is the first dSLR in a long time to really get me excited. I liked the Kx... but really only used it for my daughter's theater shows (mostly). That isn't going to be the case at all with the K5... I have a feeling I'll be using it a lot!

Thanks for listening and looking

Last edited by DRabbit; 04-24-2011 at 11:49 AM. Reason: rewriting review
04-24-2011, 12:46 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Very artistic images of fairly ordinary scenes. I love your eye for pictures and what you can do with your new kit. Congrats!
04-25-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agreed, I need to train my eye like that!
04-25-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys

04-26-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I really like your post processing - really gives it a vintage feel to it. Thanks for posting!
04-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #6

yeah i agree... i like the 'retro' look... is this intentional?

colours look washed out and muted a little but in no means a bad way... suits the subject...

but can i ask again... is it intentional or do you see them as vibrant when processing....

if it is intentional i'd be interested in hearing what settings you have used.. would look great processing that way on pictures of 70's and 80's cars..

edit... just looked at your website... same look and colour to the few i looked at on there... but they look great.. really great...

Steve
04-28-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Steve...

It was a washed out day
But yes, my post-processing is intentional. It's kind of a "look" I've sort of developed throughout my picture-a-day project. I use AWB in camera, but set a custom color shift. I also have presets I made in photoshop that I use to varying degrees... mostly with the curves tool.

Thanks!
04-29-2011, 06:52 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Very nice images indeed. Since you have k-x and k-5, what's your take on comparative image quality and dynamic range.

04-29-2011, 08:43 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yusuf,

It's hard to say, because I didn't use the K-x all that much... I primarily used it for shooting my daughter's theater performances. I do know I was a little frustrated with the K-x when I first started with it, but got over that pretty fast honestly (by getting rid of the kit lens - LOL).

High ISO noise is better on the K-5 and it's dynamic range stood out to me right away. While I enjoyed the K-x, these two factors didn't initially "wow" me like the K-5 has.
04-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #10

Nice! I feel like i was going to fall "into" the water looking at these.
Joe