Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K5 Dynamic Range Question

When taking a photo with a K5, is the sensor giving you more leeway in dynamic range when the shot is taken or only during editing it in post processing? I took some photos yesterday during an overcast day and there were dark areas under the eyes but the foreheads and cheeks were bright. Would have the K5 fared better or would I need to process it to get the skin to have an even exposure? (Without using fill flash)

Last edited by crossover37; 04-24-2011 at 04:41 PM.
04-24-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lighting and therefore contrast determines the dynamic range of a scene. With cameras, the sensor/film has the job of trying to record the detail and intensity on each pixel/particle. With each sensor generation, dynamic range recordable is increasing and so there will be less loss of shadow and highlight detail. But that's as far as my knowledge goes on the issue.

What I do know is that if a portrait shot has too much dynamic range for a dSLR, then something's not right with the lighting.

Examples of what you mean would help.
04-24-2011, 08:58 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I was shooting raw. I'm not on my computer now but basically it was an overcast day and although the lighting was diffused, it still was coming from above and eye sockets weren't getting filled in with light. I'm curious if the K5 would capture that detail in the shadows since it has such great dynamic range.

Last edited by crossover37; 04-24-2011 at 09:54 PM.
04-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Probably would, but that's no guarantee results under those conditions will be favourable.
Lighting is just about everything in photography.

04-25-2011, 06:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
you'd either need to process raw's and use fill light or you'd need to use shadow compensation settings etc for jpg to use that extra DR. the extra DR is only present 80 - 200 iso or so after that the DR is gone.
04-25-2011, 06:09 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by crossover37 Quote
I was shooting raw. I'm not on my computer now but basically it was an overcast day and although the lighting was diffused, it still was coming from above and eye sockets weren't getting filled in with light. I'm curious if the K5 would capture that detail in the shadows since it has such great dynamic range.
Using a fill flash would have been your best bet. A camera cannot put light where there is none.