Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 vs. K-7 comparison files wanted

First and foremost, I hope this is ok to do, but I feel like there is no other way to know for sure without plopping down the $1400.

Anyways, Im curious to see what the K-5 would bring to the table macro-wise for me so i'd love for anyone with time on their hands and both cameras to do me a HUGE favor

I'd like to see two similar, preferably close focused (any lens other than a WA at or near its closest focusing distance will do) shots from both camera's at these ISO's.

ISO 200, ISO 400, and ISO 640ish

In RAW preferably, I can give you my email to send them just PM me

Since these are the ISO's I shoot macro's at (well no higher than 400, but im curious to see what the K-5 can do). If i can get an appreciable amount of IQ boost at ISO 400 it will open up so many new doors for me, making my life so much easier.

So, PLEASE, if anyone has time on their hands and doesn't mind doing this for me I would be VERY thankful.

Might as well post the jpegs on here too for everyone else to see and compare themselves (or i'll post them if you don't have a flickr or something from the edited RAW's ). It would be very informational to possible buyers who care more for low ISO performance

04-24-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have both and the 100mm WR macro if you'd like me to send you some comparison shots.
04-24-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
I have both and the 100mm WR macro if you'd like me to send you some comparison shots.
PM sent
04-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

you have the king of macros on this you don't need me lol. But i'm kinda curious myself now, for my own results. Since you want to check noise I'd imagine available light shots would bring up more noise then using a flash as there is plenty of light.

04-24-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
you have the king of macros on this you don't need me lol. But i'm kinda curious myself now, for my own results. Since you want to check noise I'd imagine available light shots would bring up more noise then using a flash as there is plenty of light.
It doesn't really matter for the test as long as both camera's are shot with the same settings

I need to shoot with my flash at preferably 1/4 or less power for faster recycling times and because my diffuser is meant for this power of flash. I usually use a shutter speed less than 1/40, since the flash freezes the action. ISO I hate to go over 200, but 400 is so much better for the image overall. I can't stand the IQ though (im very picky with macro IQ) so I barely use it unless its a have to (like for this shot: Male St. Mark's fly | Flickr - Photo Sharing!)
04-25-2011, 12:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

As of right now more then half of the raw files should be uploaded, and I sent you a link to the files in a pm. I hope this test is useful to you. If you want me to adjust anything let me know. I'm just using a 360FGZ with a gary fong diffuser on the opposite side of the penny to can a shadow towards the camera. think it makes a good spot to look at the noise generated.
04-25-2011, 02:15 AM   #7
SPB

Please inform the rest of us about this experiment. I am interested to know the subtle differences between the K-7 and K-5, or whether the 7 is blown away by the 5 in these tests.

04-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Pentax K7 - ISO 400 http://stevenkovickart.com/pentaxforums/k7-400.jpg
Pentax K5 - ISO 400 http://stevenkovickart.com/pentaxforums/k5-400.jpg

Pentax K7 - ISO 800 http://stevenkovickart.com/pentaxforums/k7-800.jpg
Pentax K5 - ISO 800 http://stevenkovickart.com/pentaxforums/k5-800.jpg

Pentax K7 - ISO 1600 http://stevenkovickart.com/pentaxforums/k7-1600.jpg
Pentax K5 - ISO 1600 http://stevenkovickart.com/pentaxforums/k5-1600.jpg

Pentax K7 - ISO 3200 http://stevenkovickart.com/pentaxforums/k7-3200.jpg
Pentax K5 - ISO 3200 http://stevenkovickart.com/pentaxforums/k5-3200.jpg

Personally I think if you have a external flash you wouldn't ever need to go over 400 iso on the K5, but the fact that you can use 1600 or even 3200 is very nice as you can use available light if possible instead of a external flash. I'd still use the K7 thou up to ISO 800. But that's a personal preference
04-25-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Isn't there a website that lets you select camera and ISO for a number of side-by-side images so you can compare? I can't remember the URL, but it was very informative.

Sorry, I know that's not very helpful, but I know that someone will remember it.

Edit: This isn't the one I was thinking of, but it's similar. Not close-focused, but I'm not sure that close focusing makes detail render differently on a camera sensor than medium focus. Check out the darker area of the images to see where the K-5 really shines.http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos60d/page17.asp

Last edited by Designosophy; 04-25-2011 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Additional information.
04-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
Isn't there a website that lets you select camera and ISO for a number of side-by-side images so you can compare? I can't remember the URL, but it was very informative.
Perhaps this one:
Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ™ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page
04-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
First and foremost, I hope this is ok to do, but I feel like there is no other way to know for sure without plopping down the $1400.

Anyways, Im curious to see what the K-5 would bring to the table macro-wise for me so i'd love for anyone with time on their hands and both cameras to do me a HUGE favor

I'd like to see two similar, preferably close focused (any lens other than a WA at or near its closest focusing distance will do) shots from both camera's at these ISO's.

ISO 200, ISO 400, and ISO 640ish

In RAW preferably, I can give you my email to send them just PM me

Since these are the ISO's I shoot macro's at (well no higher than 400, but im curious to see what the K-5 can do). If i can get an appreciable amount of IQ boost at ISO 400 it will open up so many new doors for me, making my life so much easier.

So, PLEASE, if anyone has time on their hands and doesn't mind doing this for me I would be VERY thankful.

Might as well post the jpegs on here too for everyone else to see and compare themselves (or i'll post them if you don't have a flickr or something from the edited RAW's ). It would be very informational to possible buyers who care more for low ISO performance
There's not much to compare really. The k-5 is just a better performing camera when it comes to the image you see on the moniter at the end of the day. Just imagine having a k-7 that produced raw images that you could do almost anything you wanted to, without sacrificing significant quality. It's good that you're doing your homework though. This is where a lot of people make a mistake, even if they are relatively familiar with what they're buying.
04-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote

Sorry, I know that's not very helpful, but I know that someone will remember it.

Edit: This isn't the one I was thinking of, but it's similar. Not close-focused, but I'm not sure that close focusing makes detail render differently on a camera sensor than medium focus. Check out the darker area of the images to see where the K-5 really shines.Canon EOS 60D Review: 17. Compared to (JPEG): Digital Photography Review
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I said close focus since bokeh was required so I could see how it was dealt with by each sensor noise-wise.
04-25-2011, 03:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by outsider Quote
There's not much to compare really. The k-5 is just a better performing camera when it comes to the image you see on the moniter at the end of the day. Just imagine having a k-7 that produced raw images that you could do almost anything you wanted to, without sacrificing significant quality. It's good that you're doing your homework though. This is where a lot of people make a mistake, even if they are relatively familiar with what they're buying.
I guess my key is just *how much better* is the K-5? More than double the price better? Or $1500ish worth in an upgrade? Who knows, maybe I would all of a sudden become a night shot fanatic and start creeping around after 12 at night with my K-5 and K 50mm F/1.2

BUT, thus far I've had no desire to take shots where the situation required that

Dr. Who,
Thank you so much for doing this for me! I have one more favor to ask though if your still willing. Could you potentially set up a similar test but with a more "colorful" bokeh? I dont need all of the other ISO's (unless your feeling bored, than of course I'd love them! ) you provided, just ISO 400 and preferably about 640
04-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I said close focus since bokeh was required so I could see how it was dealt with by each sensor noise-wise.
Sorry, thought this might be helpful in deciding overall
04-25-2011, 04:39 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I guess my key is just *how much better* is the K-5? More than double the price better? Or $1500ish worth in an upgrade? Who knows, maybe I would all of a sudden become a night shot fanatic and start creeping around after 12 at night with my K-5 and K 50mm F/1.2

BUT, thus far I've had no desire to take shots where the situation required that

Dr. Who,
Thank you so much for doing this for me! I have one more favor to ask though if your still willing. Could you potentially set up a similar test but with a more "colorful" bokeh? I dont need all of the other ISO's (unless your feeling bored, than of course I'd love them! ) you provided, just ISO 400 and preferably about 640
Sure, one question thou, how do I do oddball iso's like 640. Might seem like a stupid question, but doesn't it just go by 200, 400, 800, 1600 ect.?