Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
If you hadn't mentioned that the camera was Leica, I would have thought that these images were shot from a cell phone cam.
That's a very perceptive comment, and one that I actually agree with completely.

The Leica, by its very nature, is different from a DSLR and I find myself taking very different photos with it.

"Cell phone photos" is a very good way of describing it - I find myself using it very much like a cell phone cam - taking photos of scenes from a wide perspective, and casual compositions rather than a polished shot.

Perhaps that's why they say the Leica is a photo-journalist camera - it's a camera for capturing the world as it is.

I find that people don't notice me when I take a picture of them, or don't care. If you look at the last photo for example, quite a few people in that photo were aware I was taking pictures of them, but they don't appear to care.

So far, I have been mainly using the 35mm lens - I will try and use 75mm today and see if my experience changes - that's a focal length that's more comparable to the sort of lenses I tend to use on Pentax.

Last edited by Christine Tham; 05-07-2011 at 01:00 PM.
05-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Ethereal quality? With no intact exif and such small images posted, I would say even a good PnS can deliver such results.
You may be right, since all the photos I showed were taken at fairly high f stops, so the DOF is comparable to what a compact camera would usually show.

I was posting them more to show the ability of the camera to balance between highlights and shadows, and between indoor and outdoor lighting, which I feel is quite different from what I get from my normal K-5 setup.

I took a few shallow DOF photos, but they didn't quite come out the way I expected - probably my lack of experience and familiarity with the lens.

Here's an example of a shallow DOF photo that I took:
05-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Here's an example of a photo that did not work - the spider is actually perfectly focused, but lost in the wide angle perspective.

Since the minimum focusing distance is about 1m, it's not really a camera/lens combo for close up work.
05-07-2011, 02:19 PM   #79
Pentaxian

Wowza. Makes me want to buy a Ferrari to learn how to parallel park!

05-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Wowza. Makes me want to buy a Ferrari to learn how to parallel park!
LOL - that's exactly how I feel with this camera at the moment - back to square one.

It handles very differently from what I'm used to, and I need to get used to "what I see is not what I get" with a rangefinder.

Also the 35mm on a full frame sensor is not a POV I am used to or comfortable with, and I find the DOF is surprisingly deep even at f1.4, so it's difficult to isolate subjects.
05-08-2011, 02:56 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Took another memory card full of photos today, but primarily on the 75mm f2 lens.

These ones are a bit more successful than yesterday's. I guess the 75mm is more like 50mm on the K-5, which is a focal length I am quite used to.

The 35mm lens is more like the DA21 - good for architecture shots

But the 75mm is also pretty good for architecture:
05-08-2011, 04:51 AM   #82
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hi Chris,it really is very difficult to make any worthy comment,the pictures in your posts are just to small etc to make any evaluation.Checked out some of your other pics,love the calico cat(cat person here).
05-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter

I have great respect for Leica equipment, but truthfully, what you see with photos is more indicative of the photographer than the equipment. I like having an AA filter on my camera.

I thought Steve Huff's comparison of the FA 31 and Leica 35 was interesting, although of course, they give different angles of view (35 on full frame, 31 on APS-C). Wide Open: Pentax 31 Limited & Leica 35 Summilux ASPH | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

05-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have great respect for Leica equipment, but truthfully, what you see with photos is more indicative of the photographer than the equipment. I like having an AA filter on my camera.

I thought Steve Huff's comparison of the FA 31 and Leica 35 was interesting, although of course, they give different angles of view (35 on full frame, 31 on APS-C). Wide Open: Pentax 31 Limited & Leica 35 Summilux ASPH | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS
Thanks.

I think everyone has different tastes. Of course the photo is a reflection of what the photographer sees - it's viewing into the eyes of another person.

The issue I have with my photos at the moment is that they look like I'm trying to use the Leica as a DSLR, and somehow I don't feel like I'm getting into the spirit of what the Leica really is all about. I need to stop taking photos of scenery and more "street photos" - but my street photography skills are lacking.

In the link you gave me, sorry, I just don't get it. Why do the comparison at all? Just does not make sense to me. Yes, the Summilux looks distinctly sharper than the FA31 (bit disappointing really, I would have expected the FA31 to do better) but so what? Different cameras, different sensors, different POV.

And I don't really get the photos either. I would have discarded the photos in the link you gave me if I took them. I'm not sure I really like shallow DOF on the Summilux 35mm.

Last edited by Christine Tham; 05-08-2011 at 02:20 PM.
05-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
There is?
+1?

I must be missing something because none of that is any of that.

woof!
05-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Going back to the OP topic, check out this thread on the Rangefinder forum...
Nikon and X100 users convert to Pentax!
05-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #87
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Thanks.

And I don't really get the photos either. I would have discarded the photos in the link you gave me if I took them. I'm not sure I really like shallow DOF on the Summilux 35mm.

I don't get why you don't get them....

I think the shots in that link were meant to compare the different 'looks' each lens + format combo brings. They are basically test shots, taken for comparison to show the central sharpness of the lenses as well as the DOF at those distances. In that context they are pretty useful, because you should be able to infer from those shots how your own general photography would benefit (or not) from one combo or the other.

No disrespect intended, but it's hard to gather information in a similar way from the photos you've presented here. As others have said, they could have been taken by just about anything.

'street shooting' is where Leica seems to bring out the best in folks. Maybe it's time to get grimy, get in the mix, do some street... if you want to get some real use out of that camera. I think HCB would agree.

05-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #88
Pentaxian

In the link you gave me, sorry, I just don't get it. Why do the comparison at all? Just does not make sense to me. Yes, the Summilux looks distinctly sharper than the FA31 (bit disappointing really, I would have expected the FA31 to do better) but so what? Different cameras, different sensors, different POV..
It's mostly due to sensor size, leica doesn't have AA filter also. People who tried 31Ltd on M9 through adapter reported FA31 is sharper.
05-08-2011, 11:15 PM   #89
Pentaxian

Thanks.

In the link you gave me, sorry, I just don't get it. Why do the comparison at all? Just does not make sense to me. Yes, the Summilux looks distinctly sharper than the FA31 (bit disappointing really, I would have expected the FA31 to do better) but so what? Different cameras, different sensors, different POV.
To the degree that the Summilux wide open at f1.4 on an M9 gives a different look than the FA31 at 1.8 on an K5, I think Huff's pictures show that. But I agree that his experiment shows more about differences between systems than between lenses.

As to the pictures showing that the Summilux is "leagues" sharper than the FA31, I think Huff overstates the result. What was the PP used on each? Sharpening in PP is considered normal practice, some would say an essential step, for images captured on an AA equipped sensor, present on the K5 and absent on the M9. What parameters did he use?

More critically, I definitely disagree with Huff's assessment the the K5 images were correctly focused. In the fence pictures, the Leica is clearly focused on the closest vertical fence board. Would he not intend focus for the K5 shot to be on the same board? To my eye, the K5 shot is rather focused on the horizontal board, some 3 - 4 cm behind that, or even slightly farther back. That portion of the image is getting close to the edge of frame.

Likewise the shot of the flower blossom from the K5 is sharpest on petals at the back of the blossom in contrast to the closest part of the blossom for the Leica. And again, for the shot of tangled branches the focus point in the Leica shot seems to be the small green leaf near center frame, where there is plenty of light. The K5 shot seems more in focus on branches behind that leaf, though it's hard to tell because that portion of the scene is poorly lit.

I would certainly expect a $4.5K lens to be sharper than the FA31, but I wonder what Huff's verdict would be had he noticed and corrected what appears to be a clear case of back focus?
05-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote

As to the pictures showing that the Summilux is "leagues" sharper than the FA31, I think Huff overstates the result.
Thanks.

Wow, you are very observant. I agree with your observations.

But even taking the back focus into account, I'm still surprised by how soft the FA31 looked. My own casual comparisons to the FA43 are not that dramatic (I'm not going to post them because I don't believe in comparisons across systems where there are so many variables).

From a POV perspective, the Summilux 35mm is closest to the DA21 on a APS-C body (which is also very sharp) but no point comparing them because one is f1.4 and the other is f3.2 wide open.

But the specific photos that Steve used are not very flattering to either lens, and I don't find them very useful for judging sharpness.