Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #1

K5 getting noticed by the Leica crowd

Check out the comments:
The Pentax K5 Silver Edition – 1st Impressions by Amy Medina | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

The main reasons are the size, build, WR, IQ properties of the K5 and the excellent Limited primes. Good times!

04-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #2

weird, someone posted those same pictures on here a day or two ago...is it the same person or did one "steal" them from the other?
04-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hawk1500 Quote
weird, someone posted those same pictures on here a day or two ago...is it the same person or did one "steal" them from the other?
It's the same person:

Amy Medina (DangRabbit) on there, is/shares DRabbit here.
04-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #4

oh ok, cool, so she's a Leica user? I guess she did say she had a K-x.

04-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
She raves almost as much about the FA43 Limited as she does about the K-5. That is really quite a compliment coming from someone accustomed to using Leica lenses.

Rob
04-25-2011, 09:30 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi!
Yeah I posted the photos here first actually

Actually, Steve, Jim Radcliffe, Ashwin, Jono... And others... All Leica users I've come to know through various forums seem to enjoy the k5 a lot too. Steve doesn't own one, but he loved it when he reviewed it a while back. There's quite a few of us in the Leica crowd that seem to love-us some Pentax

And there's a lot to like about the k5 + 43 combo... Makes me want the 31 all the more!
04-25-2011, 10:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

LOL - I had my first experience shooting on a Leica M9 today!

Haven't processed the photos yet - not sure how they will turn out. I had a really hard time focusing using the rangefinder - my eyes aren't what they used to be, and especially my right eye has astigmatism and finds it difficult to see through the viewfinder so I had to use my left eye to focus.

04-26-2011, 12:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Here's some reciprocal love - some sample pictures taken on the Leica M9

Pity that my eyes can't get along with the viewfinder, the picture quality is stunning (on outdoor photos) - makes the Pentax limited lenses look soft.
This photo is best appreciated by pixel peeping (sorry I haven't uploaded a full resolution image) - can see individual raindrops on the statues:

Great sharpness even at f2 (I was using the Summlux 35mm f/1.4):

High ISO isn't great - Max ISO is 2500 and it's pretty grainy and lack of detail up there. And there's no image stabilisation. Even so, I managed to get a good photo at 1/12s f2.8 ISO2500:

Last edited by Christine Tham; 04-26-2011 at 01:10 AM.
04-26-2011, 12:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Thanks for the link.
I actually found the discussion rather interesting.
04-26-2011, 08:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Here's some reciprocal love - some sample pictures taken on the Leica M9

Pity that my eyes can't get along with the viewfinder, the picture quality is stunning (on outdoor photos) - makes the Pentax limited lenses look soft
Interesting. I am fully prepared to believe that Leica lenses are superb, but I highly doubt that any lens can make the FA43 look soft at any aperture (assuming that one has done proper lens AF adjustment, which is crucial for shooting at wide apertures.) It is worth pointing out that with the M9, you are using an 18MP FF camera, which may have something to do with apparent sharpness and resolution of the lenses. In other words, the camera/lens combination is a major factor in IQ. On my 14MP K-7, the FA43 is crackling sharp from f2 on up. By f4, it is out of this world. Amy Medina, the reviewer of the K-5 on Steve Huff's website, seemed to be stunned by the quality of the FA43, and I can only presume that she is familiar with the world of Leica lenses, albeit on an M8.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 04-26-2011 at 09:01 AM.
04-26-2011, 09:18 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am familiar on both M8 and M9. I had a chance to shoot an M9 first-hand at one of Steve Huff's workshops, and it's performance is similar to the M8 (though maybe not AS sharp, believe it or not).

I think the FA 43, a good copy properly auto-focusing, easily can hold it's own against a Leica lens. As good? Likely not. But way more than "good enough" for the discerning Leica user ... and that's not just in sharpness, but in character too. I WAS stunned with it's quality, and that's not an experience I've had often compared to my M8 with any lens, as more often than not, most camera/lens combos pale in comparison (probably something to do with the quality of M-Glass and the lack of strong AA filter on the camera).

May I ask a silly question?

I can't figure it out on the K-5... is it possible with the FA43 to do fine manual-focus adjustments after auto focusing? It seems if you are in AF mode, the lens won't allow manual focusing at all... am I missing something or is that true? It isn't a big deal, it's just a feature that's nice to have from time to time... could be a limitation of the lens?

Being accustomed to rangefinder focusing (so easy!), I do find manual focusing a little difficult with the standard focus screen seen in the viewfinder. I'm considering swapping out to a Katzeye or comparable... but I'm going to give it more time.

Love to read your feedback everyone... so thanks!
04-26-2011, 09:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
I am familiar on both M8 and M9. I had a chance to shoot an M9 first-hand at one of Steve Huff's workshops, and it's performance is similar to the M8 (though maybe not AS sharp, believe it or not).

I think the FA 43, a good copy properly auto-focusing, easily can hold it's own against a Leica lens. As good? Likely not. But way more than "good enough" for the discerning Leica user ... and that's not just in sharpness, but in character too. I WAS stunned with it's quality, and that's not an experience I've had often compared to my M8 with any lens, as more often than not, most camera/lens combos pale in comparison (probably something to do with the quality of M-Glass and the lack of strong AA filter on the camera).

I can't figure it out on the K-5... is it possible with the FA43 to do fine manual-focus adjustments after auto focusing? It seems if you are in AF mode, the lens won't allow manual focusing at all... am I missing something or is that true? It isn't a big deal, it's just a feature that's nice to have from time to time... could be a limitation of the lens?

Being accustomed to rangefinder focusing (so easy!), I do find manual focusing a little difficult with the standard focus screen seen in the viewfinder. I'm considering swapping out to a Katzeye or comparable... but I'm going to give it more time.

Not a silly question at all. Unfortunately, "Quick-shift," as Pentax calls it, is only available on the DA line of lenses. But, oh, how I wish it was there on the FA lenses!
04-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote

None of the FA Limiteds have the Quick Shift focus feature found on Pentax's more modern lenses. The only way to focus them manually is to switch the camera to MF mode. I agree that manual focusing is tricky on the standard focusing screen. If you are really into it, then a Katzeye may be the way to go.

Rob
04-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did get katEye - still prefer to use AF about 90% of the time. For a few other occasions I use the "Catch-in-focus" mode.
04-26-2011, 09:40 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okay guys, thanks. Of course, with manual-focus focus confirmation available on the FA lenses, I guess it doesn't matter too much about the lack of "quick shift". Can I say I really like the MF focus confirmation feature? I really liked it on the Kx too. I have an old SMC-A 28mm f/2.8 that I may have to try out later today...

I'll be hopefully purchasing a DA 70mm again soon (I miss it!) and it's good to know "quick shift" will work on that lens if I need it...