Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
To be fair Falc, as much as I enjoy reading your blog, you do talk far too much in figures and maths where as for most photography is pragmatic regarding images produced and an artform based on capturing a moment .
I agree and actually feel the same.

I wanted to give a pragmatic help regarding this topic (sharpen your images more on Pentax than on Leica to get similiarly good results). See what statements giving this advice pushed me to make.

I do not always like my own posts, to be honest. I appreciate good photography more than math, to say one thing

Thanks for the reminder.

05-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I agree and actually feel the same.

I wanted to give a pragmatic help regarding this topic (sharpen your images more on Pentax than on Leica to get similiarly good results). See what statements giving this advice pushed me to make.

I do not always like my own posts, to be honest. I appreciate good photography more than math, to say one thing

Thanks for the reminder.
Hey, there's no place for that kind of maturity on the internet!
05-04-2011, 05:25 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
No offense taken, and I don't claim to know more than Falk.

However, he made a statement. I expressed skepticism. The onus is on him to substantiate the statement.

I don't appreciate his comments about my level of knowledge, because frankly it's irrelevant whether I know more or less than him. Surely it is possible for him to justify a claim that he made without resorting to that?
falk is (probably) human and thus can be wrong. in theory.

he cannot be wrong in this case, because he is right . with all due respect, read his posts carefully before saying he's wrong/right (as you should anybody' posts in such situation). i know flak can be difficult to follow, as he has a tendency to get to the point quickly and without much .. consideration for us mere humans . i can usually follow him if i take the effort to read his posts entirely. when i can't be bothered, i don't read them at all, and certainly don't reply to them. it is a matter of respect i think is due to everybody i communicate with, and i expect the same level coming my way.

to simplify, you are basically saying "i can't be bothered to follow your reasoning, you have to prove it to me the way i want, otherwise your statements are worthless".

falk is most gracious, in his place i would be pissed (but i think he's merely amused)
05-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #64
Veteran Member

The k-5 stain analysis by falk was enough to establish his level of credibility at very high levels on technical issues concerning sensors.

05-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Reputation alone is not enough to substantiate statements.

Much as I like Falk and is grateful to him for the work that he has done, he has been wrong before (and to his credit, he has acknowledged that). We are all human.

In any case, regardless of whether he is right or wrong, it's not a significant issue given there are so many variables affecting image quality.
05-06-2011, 03:39 AM   #66
Inactive Account

Sample sharpening settings?

I can accept that images from the K5 need a little more than default sharpening in LR. It may also depend on the lens. I know it is difficult to generalise but can anyone share their LR settings for, say, a typical landscape scene?

I note that the Nikno D7000 forum on DPR also has threads on how to achieve optimum sharpness. So, same issue I guess.

Lee
05-06-2011, 04:18 AM   #67

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Perhaps the K-5 becomes the telephoto accessory for Leica M8/M9 owners?!
Yes! And marco, and ultra-wide. And autofocus.

I keep returning to this thread to see if the pointless arguing has stopped, and it keeps not stopping. So maybe it could maybe possibly stop.

05-06-2011, 05:55 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sapphie Quote
I can accept that images from the K5 need a little more than default sharpening in LR. It may also depend on the lens. I know it is difficult to generalise but can anyone share their LR settings for, say, a typical landscape scene?
My setting is as follows (and it may not be a good one, so I am keen to see other people's setting too).
LR2: 0.5px, 100%
LR3: 0.7px-1px, 100%

I generally use 100% and the smallest radius beyond which I see no improvement.

All this at ISO 80-100

The higher the ISO, the lower the percent. Around ISO 1600, I stop sharpening at all.

All this applies to a perfect lens and focus. With a softer lens I may need up to radius 2px sharpening to resolve all details.

I leave the detail slider at its 25% default. A higher value uses more of the deconvolution output but most of time, produces too much noise for my taste. It is usefull however for images stacked from multiple frames at low iso which often can be done in landscape. The level of detail which then can become visible is amazing. YMMV

Disclaimer: We have been asked to share our settings. Which I am glad to do. I don't say my setting is any good. So, there is no need to argue in this thread anymore
05-06-2011, 06:36 AM   #69
Inactive Account

Thanks Falk

Thanks Falk,

I'll give this a go and report back. I agree that it has to be a well-focused shot.

I agree about the arguing. I see both pros and cons of AA filters and just want to learn how to take advantage for my photography.

I have a GH2 and see generally sharper results from it but I prefer the 'look' of the K5 images in general. I can't afford to keep both cameras so am trying to decide which to sell. It is not proving to be an easy task.

I look forward to seeing other people's LR sharpening settings too.

Lee
05-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Was an easy decision for me. I never like the GH2's output. Had not problem finally just selling it to get the K-5, which kills the GH2 in my opinion (for photos... lets not get into the video discussion since I know the GH2 is great for video).

Of course, everyone seems to have a different opinion... so
05-07-2011, 02:32 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Managed to fill a 16GB card on the Leica M9 today.

The sensor rendering is different from the K-5, reacts quite differently when I tweak the raw processing parameters. It's hard to explain the difference - but there's an ethereal quality to it:

Superb highlight and flare control on the lens - mainly because it's so small - the camera can shoot directly into the sun or bright light with very few issues:

And balances very well between objects in bright sunlight and objects in shade:

One would have to try really hard to get purple fringing (I think I managed to get it on two occasions, but usually it's fine):

I can see why photojournalists will like the camera - very good rendering of faces even in difficult lighting conditions:
05-07-2011, 05:46 AM   #72
Veteran Member

The sensor rendering is different from the K-5, reacts quite differently when I tweak the raw processing parameters. It's hard to explain the difference - but there's an ethereal quality to it:

There is?

05-07-2011, 06:01 AM   #73

An interesting discussion about a comparison with Leica. FWIW, my favourite lens when using my Leica is the Pentax 43mm LTD in Leica Thread Mount complete with the Pentax finder.

Come to think of it, it is a Pentax lens which is missing from the database. LOL!

Kim

Last edited by Kim C; 05-07-2011 at 06:14 AM.
05-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Superb highlight and flare control on the lens - mainly because it's so small - the camera can shoot directly into the sun or bright light with very few issues:

And balances very well between objects in bright sunlight and objects in shade:

One would have to try really hard to get purple fringing (I think I managed to get it on two occasions, but usually it's fine):

I can see why photojournalists will like the camera - very good rendering of faces even in difficult lighting conditions:
If you hadn't mentioned that the camera was Leica, I would have thought that these images were shot from a cell phone cam. Don't take umbrage - probably goes to show my lack of understanding of fine imagery..

cheers,

Abhi
05-07-2011, 12:31 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Ethereal quality? With no intact exif and such small images posted, I would say even a good PnS can deliver such results.